SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#342775 - 03/26/12 05:54 PM HD to PC
hbinfo2001 Offline

Loc: Quebec Canada
Hi I just done the check of my Audya5 and everything is OK
Thanks TWD.
Now I try to read the manual how to copy the HD to my Pc but I have a hard time with this manual.Is there a better way
i have Window7 (64bits)
Thanks in advance

#342820 - 03/27/12 02:13 PM Re: HD to PC [Re: hbinfo2001]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Do you want to do a total backup? or just selected files?

#342835 - 03/27/12 07:12 PM Re: HD to PC [Re: hbinfo2001]
hbinfo2001 Offline

I would like to make a full backup in case of a crash
Thanks

#342842 - 03/28/12 12:47 AM Re: HD to PC [Re: hbinfo2001]
Tonewheeldude Offline

ok, its going to take a while so do it in stages over a few evenings to prevent problems. honestly its going to take many hours due to the Audyas USB interface (this is the only time you will be bothered by its slow data transfer rate)

first of all you need to make all files and folders visible from your computer - otherwise you will miss out a big chunk of stuff. just google "how to make all files and folders visible".

Then make a new folder on your computer and call it "Audya Back Up_date" (put the date in so you remember when you last updated it.)

Then connect a USB cable (printer type with one spade and one square plug) to the rear of the audya and your PC

Then open two windows on your desktop, one showing the contents of the audya, one showing the so far empty contents of your new backup folder.

copy all the 'files' in Audya's root directory to the new folders, then one folder at a time (dont touch the 'system' folder yet) copy the Audya folders over to you new backup folder. DJ loops and sfx are going to take a long time.

once thats done make a new folder in your backup folder called 'system' and enter it. On the audya enter the opaque 'system' folder so you can see the contents. Now copy, one folder at a time each Audya folders over to you new 'system' folder on your computer. This is going to take some time.

This method will help prevent cyclic redundancy errors. If you do get an error then disconnect the audya, and delete the folder on your pc that was being copied at the time. Trying to copy the entire hard drive in one go will definitely give you problems.

Lastly - if you don't fancy doing the above your retailer can order a system restore disk from ketron which includes all the data minus the 2011 update which must be applied after doing the system restore.

#342874 - 03/28/12 02:13 PM Re: HD to PC [Re: hbinfo2001]
hbinfo2001 Offline

Thanks I will do a try in a fresh morning so I will take my Time.When you write (the opaque 'system' folder)you mean the yellow folder?
today you have please a person
Thanks again

#342980 - 03/30/12 04:06 AM Re: HD to PC [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Snoopy Offline

Loc: Northern Germany
Hi,

TWD is correct, but I stopped it after 15 hours !!!

Opening the Audya 5, disconnecting the HD, connecting it to a PC, doing the backup there ( with Acronis "TrueImage" Software ) and putting it back into Audya 5 takes ( if youīve done it once and know how to do ) 45 minutes wink

#342986 - 03/30/12 07:33 AM Re: HD to PC [Re: hbinfo2001]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Snoopy
Opening the Audya 5, disconnecting the HD, connecting it to a PC, doing the backup there ( with Acronis "TrueImage" Software ) and putting it back into Audya 5 takes ( if youīve done it once and know how to do ) 45 minutes wink

Its true, but will likely invalidate your warranty so if the time is a problem which is why this is an option:

Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
Lastly - if you don't fancy doing the above your retailer can order a system restore disk from ketron which includes all the data minus the 2011 update which must be applied after doing the system restore.

#343042 - 04/01/12 05:35 AM Re: HD to PC [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Snoopy Offline

Loc: Northern Germany
Originally Posted By: Tonewheeldude
...Its true, but will likely invalidate your warranty...

Hi TWD,

I did it with the "official permission" of Ketron Germany. Indeed they sent me an new original Audya-HD where I could take a backup from ( a few of my audio-drum-files were corrupted ).

Then I sent it back to Ketron. ( Mr. M.R. of Ketron Germany knows, that Iīm "fit" in PC and electronics, he asked me, which software THEY could use for backups )

After the Pen-Update I did the same procedure, this time of yourse with my Audya-HD.

I donīt know the laws in the UK, but opening the case of an electronical device does not invalidate warranty ( in Germany ) IF YOU DONTīT CHANGE HARDWARE . Even REPLACING the HD by a new one ( of course same type ! ) wouldnīt do.

BTW: The money Ketron wants to have for a new HD is... at least 4 times to expensive !!! A member of our ( German ) forum ( I think heīs a member here as well ) told me, what he had to pay for it ! I couldnīt believe it !!!

Nevertheless : Ketron should provide a backup DVD / Stick or something similar to the Audyas. Or make it possible to download it ( of course password-protected ! )

I read your comments regarding downloading in another thread, but I donīt fully agree with it.
Wrong bits / bytes ? Just check the cheksum.
Size : OK, if someone has only a 1 MBit downloadspeed it would take a lot of lot of lot of time wink
The most relevant problem I see is to ensure that noone can download a file containing updates he didnīt pay for.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online