Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#341526 - 03/06/12 03:24 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 124
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Just a comment about "one finger" chords...I believe this to be true with Yamaha and Casio...I recall one of these companies has the non musical design...root and next key to the right makes a minor chord etc....it is so wrong to use crazy ...

Right on the money, Fran. I never did "get" Yamaha's idea of making chords with adjacent keys. Talk about setting a person off on the wrong foot.

Me neither, guys...it's definitely a stupid system, as are all "easy play" chording systems...they are all very limiting to what type chords can be played. Deciding which one is worse, is like deciding which leg you'd rather have amputated.

By the time you learn how to use the "simple" or "intelligent" system, you may as well have spent the time learning how to play chords properly.

No matter what simple chord system being used, it just further pushes home that these arrangers like Tyros4, PA3X and G-70 are basically fancier (and pricier) home units...but some enterprising musicians use them for gigging.

Ian

#341530 - 03/06/12 03:35 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: shim]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My friend Bill (Semilive) was kind enough to offer to put my E80 in my truck at the last Shreveport Jam. He tripped on a loose door facing going out the door, did a head-first flip into the parking lot where he dropped the E80 about 6 feet onto the concrete steps. It was not in a case, because I used the only case I had in which it would fit for my Audya. The E80 was unscathed.
Not so for Bill, who is still having problems with his back and neck from the fall.
Point is the E80, which weighs about 54 pounds is built like a tank. Not sure any other board I've ever owned would have survived that ugly accident!
DonM

#341531 - 03/06/12 03:40 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: shim]
ianmcnll Offline

Some people are very lucky, Don. It depends on how it lands...internal circuitry can easily be jarred loose, but, fortunately for you, it wasn't. The E-80 was never meant to be gigged with...far too heavy.

Not using a case...tsk tsk! Should have put Bill in one. wink

Ian

#341533 - 03/06/12 04:35 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, here is where we have to disagree...again....

"Arranger" keyboards have the stigma of "home" entertainment...in the past.....No more...Since they are well known and used by Pros nowadays...with quality sounds and features...

Roland G70 as an example...76 great action keys, Mic and harmonizer (first class), separate out puts (What home users need this?)..Steel chassis, and durable buttons...This unit says "Professional" all over it smile

The counter offerings from General Music (Genesys Pro), Ketron SD1, Korgs PA2x and 3X 76 models...All these have the quality built and features that Pro use demands..I will suggest they are Pro models and not "home" keyboards....

Make them cheap, light plastic , lower quality knobs and screens and add speakers.....now you have a "home keyboard".. wink

Enter the Korg models with speakers including the PA800, the Yamaha PSR s910, and sorry to say the Tyros4 is right in there too...Roland you can look at the Prelude, E-50/60 and yes the E80....Doesn't mean any of them could not work on the gig...but the quality design and features dictate what models are designed as Pro models and what are home models...

#341537 - 03/06/12 05:21 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: shim]
ianmcnll Offline

Oh well, Fran...we'll have to agree to disagree, and I'm cool with that.

This thread has drifted off topic long enough...my apologies to shim.

Find me an arranger that does not have easy play features, and I will agree that it is a professional instrument.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online