SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#341487 - 03/06/12 07:44 AM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: shim]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I hope the next generation of Tyros and Motif are slimmer. I never understood why they are so darn bulky. It's almost like Yamaha didn't consider that people might take these keyboards out of their homes to perform on.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#341505 - 03/06/12 12:43 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: montunoman]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
I hope the next generation of Tyros and Motif are slimmer. I never understood why they are so darn bulky. It's almost like Yamaha didn't consider that people might take these keyboards out of their homes to perform on.

Tyros is build as a home Keyboard... Yamaha never intended that people use it to gig. And i don't think they will change that any time soon.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#341506 - 03/06/12 12:52 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: Bachus]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: montunoman

Tyros is build as a home Keyboard... Yamaha never intended that people use it to gig. And i don't think they will change that any time soon.

I get that, but why are the Motif so FAT too?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#341507 - 03/06/12 01:15 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Tyros is build as a home Keyboard... Yamaha never intended that people use it to gig. And i don't think they will change that any time soon.[/quote]

You hit the nail right on the head.....!
the emphasis on "HOME KEYBOARD"

#341510 - 03/06/12 01:37 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: shim]
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Anyone want to trade the tyros 4 for pa3x 61? smile

#341513 - 03/06/12 02:06 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj

In my opinion, the Tyros4 is primarily meant(and designed) for home use, but, many professional (advanced) players are using it for gigging..it is only 30 lbs or so.

If we want to really define the "home keyboard" thing, any instrument with "easy play" features, like single finger chording, automatic accompaniment, and automatic harmony in Right Hand, is a home keyboard...and yes, that includes the Tyros4, but also, the PA3X (and Pro), the G-70...even the Audya. The Korgs have a more sophisticated editing system, but they are still arrangers made primarily for the home player.

Yamaha and Roland keep things a bit simpler, although you can extensively edit the former with the software included with the instrument.

Having built in speakers really makes arrangers even more "homier", like the S910, the PA-800, the E-80 etc.

If they were designed exclusively for pros, you would not see a "single finger", or "one finger chord" option, or built in speakers.

It's good the entry level PA-500, is working for you on gigs, but, truth be told, you are playing a home keyboard.

That's not so bad, is it? smirk

Ian

PS...Good luck with your eyes...I hope you are back in shape as quickly as possible.

#341517 - 03/06/12 02:17 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Dnj

In my opinion, the Tyros4 is primarily meant(and designed) for home use, but, many professional (advanced) players are using it for gigging..it is only 30 lbs or so.

If we want to really define the "home keyboard" thing, any instrument with "easy play" features, like single finger chording, automatic accompaniment, and automatic harmony in Right Hand, is a home keyboard...and yes, that includes the Tyros4, but also, the PA3X (and Pro), the G-70...even the Audya. The Korgs have a more sophisticated editing system, but they are still arrangers made primarily for the home player.

Yamaha and Roland keep things a bit simpler, although you can extensively edit the former with the software included with the instrument.

Having built in speakers really makes arrangers even more "homier", like the S910, the PA-800, the E-80 etc.

If they were designed exclusively for pros, you would not see a "single finger", or "one finger chord" option, or built in speakers.

It's good the entry level PA-500, is working for you on gigs, but, truth be told, you are playing a home keyboard.

That's not so bad, is it? smirk

Ian

PS...Good luck with your eyes...I hope you are back in shape as quickly as possible.

If an arranger is made of plastic then its pretty much meant for home use....lets face it metal is more rugged for the road...although yes most are home Kbs as you say doesn't mean it cannot be taken on the road & used with TLC to get a pro sound and fill pro needs...Tyros kbs in general have a lot of wasted real-estate and can definitely be re-sized and trimmed down for sure...

Thank you for the well wishes.

#341520 - 03/06/12 02:23 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Just a comment about "one finger" chords...I believe this to be true with Yamaha and Casio...I recall one of these companies has the non musical design...root and next key to the right makes a minor chord etc....it is so wrong to use crazy ...

I will say that Roland does not use a one finger chord...the "intelligent " mode is designed for incomplete chord fingering and calculates the intended chord...It is very different from what I mention above...

#341521 - 03/06/12 02:40 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: shim]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Roland uses simplified chording for home use and beginners. There's nothing "intelligent" about Roland's system...it's made for those without the intelligence (or skill) to play full chords such as a rank beginner or non-keyboardist.

The G-70 is a home keyboard designed for players who want to use their own speaker system...it's that simple...Tyros4 is designed for the same purpose (although they do offer a bespoke speaker system) and so is Korg PA-3X.

Lots of pros gigging with "plastic" keyboards as well..you see guys, that's why they make road cases. People gig with delicate violins and acoustic guitars and lots of other fragile instruments...ALL instruments require extra care when used out gigging.

Donny gigged for quite some time with a plastic fantastic S910, and it didn't break; Gary Diamond has been using a PSR-3000 since I can remember, and no issues with the case or anything else. Scott Yee has done hundreds of gigs with his Tyros2 and Tyros4...no problems.

Let's face it...you drop any electronic instrument on a hard floor, and you are going to do damage, especially internal. I don't believe arrangers were meant to be tossed in the back of a van without a case.

A Tyros (or PA-500) in a road case is every bit as secure as a metal bodied instrument...no keyboardist in his right mind would gig without a road case, or at the very least, a good gig bag.

Ian

PS...Donny, I can assure you there is no wasted real estate on (or inside) the Tyros4...it's packed inside, so all space is well used and needed.

#341523 - 03/06/12 03:09 PM Re: Korg pa3x vs. Tyros 4 SIZE WIZE! [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Just a comment about "one finger" chords...I believe this to be true with Yamaha and Casio...I recall one of these companies has the non musical design...root and next key to the right makes a minor chord etc....it is so wrong to use crazy ...

Right on the money, Fran. I never did "get" Yamaha's idea of making chords with adjacent keys. Talk about setting a person off on the wrong foot.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online