SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#341392 - 03/04/12 08:59 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: hammer]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Tony,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tyros 4, it is a killer keyboard. As you know I even bought a PSR-S900 recently. If I had money galore I would probably be buying both tyros 4 and PA3X. As it is I am well pleased with what I have got. This story about which one is the better one is something I have left far behind me. They are each great keyboards in their own right and with their own specific strong and weaker points, even the budget Micro.
I can well imagine that the average home musician taking the Tyros 4 out of the box has no desire whatsoever to tweak anything. That having said I am afraid that the same does not apply to most Korg arrangers at least in my view.
You have/had a killer set up with the Audya and Tyros 4, and would continu to have a killer set up swapping e.g. the Audya for a Korg Kronos or Korg PA3X. And we should get things in their perspective.
In 2002 I purchased the PA80 and played and programmed on it for four years with great pleasure. The fruits of which labour are now being shared by some here as well who have purchased the Micro and gotten my resources. I have no desire to meet with e.g. Spalding's request to demo in how far my programming improves on the factory presets. I let others who have gotten it do that for me, besides I have no interest in what anyone is buying. I mean commercially. But it is unfortunate Tony that you do not live close by cause I would love to show you how much can be gained by tweaking an instrument like the Micro compared to its factory presets. In actual fact, and this may sound arrogant so please forgive me, but when I first listened to my own programming again on the Micro after so many years I was even pleasantly surprised myself. So once again I have nothing against Yamaha , least of all the Tyros 4 but I do think that many keyboards can improve vastly by a personal touch.
If ever you have the chance to get a Micro on trial from wherever you buy, do let me know and I will gladly send you my resources for you to work out what I mean. Don't buy it though, why would you with a Tyros 4 and a Kronos or similar giant. Oh yes there is one thing I do not like about the Yammies, they are pretty bulky, even my PSR900 whereas the Korgs are getting more and more compact, the PA3X for example and of course the Micro..................................................

best wishes,
John

#341405 - 03/04/12 09:23 PM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: john smies]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

If ever you have the chance to get a Micro on trial from wherever you buy, do let me know and I will gladly send you my resources for you to work out what I mean.

John

John,

There is more chance of a camel passing through the eye of a needle, or me winning the lottery, than me buying a KMA, thanks for the offer but I will stay with the big boys. organ I am going to Spain for a week this Friday and I will bet you all the money you have no one in the hotels will the playing KMA, Korgs yes, big ones and more likely Ketrons, make me feel at home.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#341408 - 03/05/12 12:16 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
John,
Why are we never happy, don't the manufactures get it right

No, every user has different tastes and needs. Manufacturers can't possibly get it perfect for everyone so they simply provide their products with a setup that works for most.

But everyone is different otherwise restaurants wouldn't need menus to cater to taste ... they could just sell one type of meal that they figure everyone should like ... fortunately people aren't like that or life would be very dull and predictable.

Editing allows those that aren't happy with the standard factory setup the ability to tailor it to taste. Remember that the styles and patches etc are created by sound/style designers who may have different tastes from many end users. It doesn't mean what they setup is bad, it still is based on their personal taste. Some people will totally agree with their choices while some others will not agree. That is human nature. The other thing is that the factory setups are created on a very tight schedule so that marketing deadlines can be met. These designers do the best they can given time constraints as they familiarise themselves with the new technology. Traditionally the best patches available for all synths aren't those that it is first shipped with. That has always been the case. It takes time for sound designers to really learn how to tap the full capability of a keyboard.

Am I on or off topic???

Well off topic actually. The subject of whether users would ever want to edit their keyboard setup is a topic that really doesn't belong here. In fact it is really a very strange thing to question to be honest. I think you are the only person I have ever heard question the desirability of being able to tailor a keyboard to individual taste. Though manufacturers would really like to sell to consumers that accept corporate product decisions made on their behalf without question.

You yourself question manufacturer product decisions whenever you compare keyboards when you are going to purchase. From the sound engines, style choices, OS navigation, hardware choices, sound design etc etc If you truly believe manufacturers always make the very best decisions there would be no need to even play or listen to them ... simply walk into the store and just plonk down your money for the latest Korg, Yamaha, Roland product and walk away with it. But you know that is not the case, you evaluate all the decisions the manufacturers have made. And in the case where you don't exactly agree with them if you had the ability to modify you absolutely would. Though we all know there is nothing about your Audya you would ever want to change ... or is there? wink

You are welcome to continue this discussion but please do it in its own thread.

#341410 - 03/05/12 01:08 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: Tony Hughes]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: john smies

If ever you have the chance to get a Micro on trial

There is more chance of me winning the lottery, than me buying a KMA

Huh, no where did John mention you buying a KMA I think you are imagining words that aren't there.

#341411 - 03/05/12 01:15 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: Nigel]
john smies Offline

Tony,

I concur with all that Nigel says here. If you re-read my answer to your initial question I literally say " don't buy it though "....
With all due respect I think your contributions here on the forum should be more advantageous to those here who share your Tyros and Audya viccisitudes rather than going on about a keyboard you have stated time and time again you have no interest in whatsoever.
I do wish you good hols in Spain though. Good thing you do not have to take along any keyboard cause it sure as hell would be heavy going with the Audya on your back ! smile smile smile

regards,
John Smies

#341496 - 03/06/12 10:24 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

I re-posted my original out of the box KMA demos just in case anyone wants to use them for an A/B comparison to the resources to maybe help you decide... enjoy.

Edited by Dnj (03/06/12 10:45 AM)

#341497 - 03/06/12 11:09 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: Dnj]
john smies Offline

Thank you Donny.
I must say this took me by surprise as we kinda parted on the wrong footing when you first got the Micro and received my software which gave us both a lot of aggro in getting loaded. At the time the Micro was not available in Europe and I had to go by my previous experiences with the PA50 ( six years ago) and the manual......

What strikes me most in your out-of-the-box playing and my demo-ing my resources is your craftsmanship in playing, but then I have always avowed to being a simple home musician. ( anything beyond five chords and I am beat ).
That having been said I personally clearly hear the differences between out of the box and my resources. For starters all styles with the Micro and other Korg arrangers have a "default setting " in which all acc. tracks including drums and bass generally have a 64 value for reverb. And that is only for starters......

Second, a fair comparision should be you playing my resources with your expertise in playing, for those who would want to do an A-B comparison. The offer still stands, as you know from contributions by Hammer, Tim, Bernie etc. all software problems have been sorted and it takes less than half a minute to get anything loaded.

Thirdly, in retrospect I am a bit puzzled about all folks wanting to actually hear an A-B demo if they do not have the Micro for starters.
I mean sure if you have one you would want to know what and if there is any benefit in procuring mine,but if you are not interested in this small keyboard why bother ?

Finally I wish you a speedy recovery from your medical treatment.

regards,
John

#341500 - 03/06/12 11:42 AM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

I am not feeling 100% at this time but I thought I would offer people a choice of listening to both, as it seems that is the BIG question I'm reading and hearing regarding these resources... Yes I did try the resources early on, but as I posted afterwards I didn't feel there was much of a difference, which was MY honest opinion alone. This is why an A/B comparison is important especially when people are laying out money or donations, etc.. But out of curiosity I gave it a try of which I appreciate. It just still seems to me that any player including myself has to spend the time to get his/her keyboard to sound the way THEY want by putting in the homework and time to make that happen. The way an instrument sounds is a very personal thing that only the player can achieve, there is NO magic program to make it drastically change unless your yourself put in the time to make it that way.....what one person likes & hears and needs is the total opposite of what the next player does. I too would like to hear some of the others who have used it offer A/B comparisons also.Korg arrangers have more then enough features to make any of them sound the way YOU want. I have been working with my KORG Pa500 for at least 40/50 hours and now have it sounding almost to my standards for stage performance of which I am totally impressed & satisfied with my purchase. Thank you for the well wishes.

#341525 - 03/06/12 03:19 PM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny,
you sure did make that little KMA sound good.

One good reason I'd never post a demo, I'd probably make my PA3x sound like a toy . haa haa

Good to see you back.

For a true A/B i think it really needs the same player doing both.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#341528 - 03/06/12 03:27 PM Re: Demos JS 2012 Resources for Korg Micro [Re: john smies]
124 Offline

Thanks for putting those up, Donny. Very enjoyable. Hope you're well on the mend.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online