SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#341244 - 03/01/12 07:08 PM Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#341245 - 03/01/12 09:11 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Bachus Offline

VEry nice one...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#341251 - 03/01/12 10:55 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Bachus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Pity it was so short.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#341252 - 03/01/12 11:18 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's neat. Gotta try it.
Thanks,
DonM

#341259 - 03/02/12 12:38 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee

Scotteeee,

Every house should have one guitar
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#341274 - 03/02/12 11:02 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
The Korg PA3x is very attractive. I especially like the idea of having the built in TC Helicon vocal processor and I'd love to have a chord sequencer.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#341275 - 03/02/12 11:22 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: montunoman]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Beware...the chord sequencer is not what you would expect. It is not as easy to use as you would think, and it is ONLY live..ie Chord sequences are lost when you move to a new song, or style etc etc and cannot be saved.

It is NOTHING like the CS on the Rolands

#341293 - 03/02/12 08:20 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I just don't get the chord sequencer thing. The way I see it you might just as well do karoke.

Tom

#341295 - 03/02/12 08:43 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

The advantage of the Chord Sequncer is that it allows you to record an 8, 12, 16, etc. bar chord progression "on the fly" while performing in auto accompaniment mode, and then have that chord progression played back repeatedly anytime during the song, freeing up the left hand completely to more expressively engage the modulation-pitch bend stick in concert with your live instrument solo (sax, guitar) played in the right hand; and then just as quickly go back to auto-accompaniment mode playing.

"Take Five"
Pa3X Chord Sequencer Demo:

#341301 - 03/03/12 12:08 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

The advantage of the Chord Sequncer is that it allows you to record an 8, 12, 16, etc. bar chord progression "on the fly" while performing in auto accompaniment mode, and then have that chord progression played back repeatedly anytime during the song, freeing up the left hand completely to more expressively engage the modulation-pitch bend stick in concert with your live instrument solo (sax, guitar) played in the right hand; and then just as quickly go back to auto-accompaniment mode playing.

"Take Five"

Scott,

Can you elaborate in simple terms, no more than three words, to a complete numpty like me what you said above really means.

I will have a go for you "I WANT ONE" much less time consuming.. party

Frankly the style gets on my nerves and as Tom says him and me just don't get it, if I was sat in the audience listen to it, how discerning
would I have to be to spot it and say to my Doris " Oh Doris can you here that Chord Sequencer in action, what a wonderful piece of technology "
Nope, me thinks not, it will be on the KMA one day, maybe an upgrade. wave

#341304 - 03/03/12 12:42 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes

"Take Five"

Scott,

Can you elaborate in simple terms, no more than three words, to a complete numpty like me what you said above really means.

I will have a go for you "I WANT ONE" much less time consuming.. party

Frankly the style gets on my nerves and as Tom says him and me just don't get it, if I was sat in the audience listen to it, how discerning
would I have to be to spot it and say to my Doris " Oh Doris can you here that Chord Sequencer in action, what a wonderful piece of technology "
Nope, me thinks not, it will be on the KMA one day, maybe an upgrade. wave

Oh my how wrong ar you...

The moment i use the chord sequencer, i actually change the style intoo a static midi file (loop) as long as i want with set chords..

Now i can play a 2 hand piano performance on top of that style.

Since i can allways jump back to the style and using left hand for chord progression it adds to the freedom of the arranger. Tough i admit that its a feature only wanted by the pros, whihc is okay as the PA3X is an arranger build for performaers and pros and not so much for the home audience.

#341307 - 03/03/12 12:54 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Bachus]
Tony Hughes Offline

Bachus,

Perhaps I did a bad job of explaining myself, what I really met was this : Who are we trying to impress, ourselves or the audience, would the audience know what was going on, anyway Dennis says it's not a patch on the Roland and he's usually knows what he is talking about, so where do we go from hear,ear or here! Sell the Pa3x and buy a Roland, stop dam it Bachus, when will this all end. rotf2

Tony

#341318 - 03/03/12 06:29 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

The Korg CS, is okay, as in it works, but it IS "clunky" to set up "on the fly" as it were, which is essentially how one would use it . When actually playing a style live.

It requires a certain dexterity of button pushing, ie two buttons need to pushed simultaneously..if you miss the timing slightly, eg push one button a few milliseconds before the other, it does not start recording WHEN you need it to. Needing a second go.

The same can be said for the stopping of the recording and then having it switch to the "playback mode", if you do not press the same two buttons at precisely the same time the recording phase does not stop requiring a further "double" press.

Trust me when I say that this is exacerbated even further when you are in the middle of a 180bpm bebop tune, trying to not only play the song, sing the song, worry about chord changes and THEN try to set up what I consider to be a very "fiddly " process...maybe it can be achieved by solid practice of accessing the mode...

However if one manages to negotiate the starting and stopping of the recording phase, the actual playing back of the sequence, and subsequent stopping again needs the push of only one button...which is really how the recording phase should be too..

No, imho, in practical terms, the chord sequencer is really only "useable" BEFORE you start the style....ie load up your style and BEFORE starting to play set the CS to record then start your style...of course you are then limited to ONLY what chord progression you start the song with...in a lot of cases this works out to be the main head anyway, so no real problems.

I just think Korg could have implemented this a whole lot better, and it does strike me as a "late addition" rather than a full pre-planned tool.

The Roland CS, certainly was a lot easier to implement, PLUS it had the huge advantage of being able to save the CS to file, for a later performance of that same style/song.

#341329 - 03/03/12 10:10 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

I find the Chord Sequencer useful particularly in certain instrumentals, i.e. Sleepwalk, Steel Guitar Rag, Tuff, when it is helpful to have both hands available for bending notes and adding nuances.
You could do the same thing by pre-recording sequences, but then, unless you add markers, you are limited to the exact structure. Often when performing live, I want to extend a song or even end it quickly and the CS lends itself very well to that.
It's not an essential tool, but as I said, it is useful.
DonM

#341331 - 03/03/12 10:25 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Tony Hughes]
Bachus Offline

Bachus,

Perhaps I did a bad job of explaining myself, what I really met was this : Who are we trying to impress, ourselves or the audience, would the audience know what was going on, anyway Dennis says it's not a patch on the Roland and he's usually knows what he is talking about, so where do we go from hear,ear or here! Sell the Pa3x and buy a Roland, stop dam it Bachus, when will this all end. rotf2

Tony

As long as you have a good singing voice and play the right stuff, the audience doesn't mind what and how the music is created. A friend of mine is earning lots of money gigging (well actually he can't play, but his interwebs copied midi files do the trick) but he has a good voice... and thats all they hear.

So who's going to use those features live ?

personally when i play at home, i just love those things...

#341332 - 03/03/12 10:52 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Tony Hughes]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bachus,

Tony

Tony ... it is not a matter of impressing anyone ... as it was said, it is a matter of being able to play a sequence of chords and then having the arranger play it back for as long as the player wants so that the player can play two hand solos, use pitch bend or modulation wheels, or drink a Dewars and Shweppes Ginger Ale with the left hand without being concerned about the chord progression ... it could very well be a handy tool, even during live play ...

#341338 - 03/03/12 01:23 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: miden]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: miden

It requires a certain dexterity of button pushing, ie two buttons need to pushed simultaneously..if you miss the timing slightly, eg push one button a few milliseconds before the other, it does not start recording WHEN you need it to. Needing a second go.

The same can be said for the stopping of the recording and then having it switch to the "playback mode", if you do not press the same two buttons at precisely the same time the recording phase does not stop requiring a further "double" press.

Hi Dennis,
Yep, it's a disappointment to learn that the Pa3X chord sequencer rec start/stop function requires having to press two separate buttons simultaneously & exactly eek2 at the same time.
That said, does the Pa3X support assigning the chord sequencer rec start/stop function to a foot pedal(s)?
If so, would this require allocating 'two' foot pedals, and having to press both pedals simultaneously too? eek
- Scott

#341344 - 03/03/12 03:15 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Good Lord, anyone with two fingers and two eyes can press the two buttons together! My fingers are semi-arthritic and my eyes are brown because my brain is full of 68 years worth of accumulated doo-doo, and I can do it.
It doesn't have to be timed to the milli-second; the sequencer kicks in, or out, at the end of the current measure.
Don't buy the Korg for this reason alone, but "don't knock it if you haven't tried it!"
Crap, I can hit control-alt-delete together still.
Don't get me wrong, they COULD have made it easier. smile
It's harder sometimes to hit the shortcut button and, say Mic, to make on the fly adjustments, but I can usually do that too.
And a good thing is that you can do real time adjustments and save them while a song or style is running. Most arrangers won't multitask like this.
DonM

I thought of something else. The buttons are side-by-side. It's the same as hitting the plus and minus buttons together to set the default tempo or transpose values. You can do it, if you concentrate!
smile

#341347 - 03/03/12 04:15 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Good Lord, anyone with two fingers and two eyes can press the two buttons together! My fingers are semi-arthritic and my eyes are brown because my brain is full of 68 years worth of accumulated doo-doo, and I can do it.
It doesn't have to be timed to the milli-second; the sequencer kicks in, or out, at the end of the current measure.
Don't buy the Korg for this reason alone, but "don't knock it if you haven't tried it!"
It's harder sometimes to hit the shortcut button and, say Mic, to make on the fly adjustments, but I can usually do that too.
And a good thing is that you can do real time adjustments and save them while a song or style is running. Most arrangers won't multitask like this.
DonM

I thought of something else. The buttons are side-by-side. It's the same as hitting the plus and minus buttons together to set the default tempo or transpose values. You can do it, if you concentrate!
smile

Err...I DID buy it and owned it!!! Thanks very much!! I took it back and went back to the PA2xpro..

Tell you what m8, you go and play a fast bebop tune, not the country yokel three chord wonders played at 120 bpm, and THEN try to get these buttons at the correct timing to get it to start recording correctly. You are OBVIOUSLY not a piano player!!! Or you only play auto chords using one finger!!

Yes it COULD be a handy tool, but Korg have made the implementation clunky.....

#341349 - 03/03/12 04:27 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Don,I still haven't had the opportunity to check out the Pa3X and it's chord sequencer feature yet,
so it's reassuring to hear (ar least from your experience) that it's not as difficult to operate as Dennis (Miden) experienced.
Either way, It would seem a LOT easier (w/o requiring fingers) simply to trigger the chord seq via foot pedal(s) instead.
Assuming the Pa3X supports this, would it require one, or two foot pedals, and pressing 2 pedals at the same time?
Dennis, DonM, or anybody else. Anybody try this method? Thanks. Scott

#341351 - 03/03/12 05:01 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: miden]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
DonM

smile

Err...I DID buy it and owned it!!! Thanks very much!! I took it back and went back to the PA2xpro..

Tell you what m8, you go and play a fast bebop tune, not the country yokel three chord wonders played at 120 bpm, and THEN try to get these buttons at the correct timing to get it to start recording correctly. You are OBVIOUSLY not a piano player!!! Or you only play auto chords using one finger!!

Yes it COULD be a handy tool, but Korg have made the implementation clunky.....

Dennis, I know you had one, and you are right, I am NOT a piano player and never was. I am an Arranger Keyboard Player. Before that I was an organ player, guitar player, bass player and trumpet player. But neither do I use one-finger chords. I use the pianist mode most of the time, where you hit at least three notes together to make the chords change. It takes about a second to reach up and hit the two buttons together. I have the chord HOLD mode on so I can take my fingers off the keys. In fact the only time I usually have my left hand fingers ON the keys is when I'm changing chords. At most other times they are on the joystick or pressing variation, fill, etc. buttons. Only about 10 percent of my usual show is Country these days. Not by my choice, but because of the preferences of the people who pay me every night!
Each of us use arrangers in different ways. All I saying is that it is useful for me, and I would imagine, for others that play in the same style as I do.
As I said, they could have made it easier to use, but I do find uses for it, especially if you could SAVE the sequences as you could with the old Rolands. Haven't tried it with a fast Bebop song though, I admit. However, once I did get a song way up to 160 bpm. smile
Surely you didn't go back to the 2X Pro because it DIDN'T have a Chord Sequencer? I'm just poking fun now, don't get upset!
Maybe I'm too irreverent for this serious old forum??
Still your friend,
DonM

#341353 - 03/03/12 05:06 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Whoa..I just made popcorn and grabbed some snacks..for a real SZ skirmish....and now it appears to be cancelled frown

#341356 - 03/03/12 05:15 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Fran, Dennis and I have been "friends" for many years. He knows I mean no harm!
Right Dennis? . . . Right? . . . Dennis . . . Dennis . . . ?

Besides, I was really trying to get a rise out of Scott, not Dennis!
DonM

#341358 - 03/03/12 05:39 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Whoa..I just made popcorn and grabbed some snacks..for a real SZ skirmish....and now it appears to be cancelled frown

yeah, and just when I was going to remind people to read Nigels second post on the forum page ... well, maybe we should anyway ... smile

#341360 - 03/03/12 05:51 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: DonM]
miden Offline

Fran, Dennis and I have been "friends" for many years. He knows I mean no harm!
Right Dennis? . . . Right? . . . Dennis . . . Dennis . . . ?

Besides, I was really trying to get a rise out of Scott, not Dennis!
DonM

Absolutely!!! smile all meant as tongue cheek fun, as I wrote in the other thread, Im gladd you took it that way..as that was the intention...

Seriously? nahh not just the CS, I just could not justify the $1700 change up in price from a PA2....for a new user, PA800 user, or PA1x user DEFINITELY a great change.....

D

So Carango???? Stop salivating and put the wine away!!! wink

#341362 - 03/03/12 05:57 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Also to answer Scotts question...the CS functions cannot be mapped to a footpedal or controller, as far as I can remember. I will dbl check in the manual though just to be sure.....

it COULD be pedal controlled if Korg would release the Sysex, and you used a Behringer 1010 as they CAN transmit lines of sysex code.....

#341363 - 03/03/12 06:22 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
miden Offline

Check page 239 of the advanced edit manual...it does list the CS, but at the top of the page says NO Function Assigned....maybe it can be, but you still need to hit two at once??? I never got it to work on mine, but I didn't really try to hard to map it either.....

Maybe Don or someone who has an EC5 could try it..You would need the EC5 as you would need TWO pedal switches to do it...From memory I think I tried it with my EC5 and it didn't work, or not very successfully....

And page 10 of the main manual makes no mention of it being assignable either....

#341372 - 03/03/12 11:25 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Dennis, thanks for taking the time to look in the Pa3X manual to investigate the possibility of assigning chord seq rec via footpedal activation. Sounds from what you say that, at this point, footedal activated chord sequencer rec is probably not currently supported. If not, its definitely worth Korg including in a Pa 3X OS upate. - Scott

#341401 - 03/04/12 02:36 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I think the best thing to do is to get T4.Yamaha will provide"the finger"for CS for all of us dance.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#341439 - 03/05/12 10:26 AM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi DonM,

As you know I have the PSR3000 and now the Pa50SD. I am very much impressed with the sound of the Korg, especially the distortion guitars used in some of the styles.

You've had them all. What's your opinion of the Pa3x? When I can afford & hopefully that'll be soon, I'll get myself a Tyros4, an Audya 5 & a Korg Pa3x. Then I'll play to my heart's content.

If I consider how little I paid for the Pa50SD (about half of what I paid for my PSR3000 8 years ago!)compared to what I received, these Korgs are incredible value for money!!!

Keep well my friend,

Henni

#341462 - 03/05/12 08:51 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Henni, I'm finding the PA3x very well-suited for what I'm doing. It sounds great, has plenty of styles, is easy to get around and operate. It has a great vocal processor/harmonizer. It is not too heavy and the keys feel good.
You can edit and save everything or anything you want, even the factory style locations.
DonM

#341504 - 03/06/12 12:29 PM Re: Korg Pa3X Video Ad (French) [Re: DonM]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi DonM,

Tx for the feedback. Seems like an impressive arranger.

Henni

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online