SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#341129 - 02/29/12 07:33 PM Over The Rainbow...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was five years old I fell in love with a Kansas girl named Dorothy. She was absolutely beautiful and I'll never forget the song she sang on the silver screen that day. I can still hear it in my aging mind, despite that it was 66 years ago, and I have a very difficult time trying to sing it because I become too emotional.

During the past 7 weeks I was restricted from lifting anything over 30 pounds due to my eye surgery. I adhered strictly to the rules, and asked my daughter Laura if she could help. Laura is a beautiful lady raising an active 4-year-old boy who thinks he is Spiderman.

The first few days she only unloaded and set up the equipment for me. One day my throat was a bit sore and I asked if she would sing a few songs for me. I knew she had a good voice, but she never wanted to get into the entertainment biz and we never practiced any songs at all. This was her first attempt at Over The Rainbow and the recording is a one-shot-deal from the headphone output of the PSR-3000 directly to the line-in of the Zoom H2 recorder. No editing at all.

I'm back on my own now, but I believe she will eventually spend some more time with her "old dad" and do some more recordings. BTW: While she was singing the song, and I hate to admit this, there were tears flowing down my cheeks. I tried to wipe them off before she saw them, but she noticed and asked "Are you crying, Dad?" I replied "Yes, but don't tell anyone." I guess I'm still in love with Dorothy. smile

Over The Rainbow

Cheers,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/29/12 07:35 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#341130 - 02/29/12 07:40 PM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Beautiful... You should be a proud Papa

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#341146 - 02/29/12 11:00 PM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
She sure sings better'n Pop!
DonM

#341148 - 02/29/12 11:29 PM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
Sokratis 1974 Offline

Loc: Hellas, Creta, Iraklion
Beautiful!!!!!

#341165 - 03/01/12 03:10 AM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Garry,

Verry nice story and great singing you must be verry hapopy with that
its nice to make music together
Regards Rico smile

#341171 - 03/01/12 06:22 AM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Excellent Gary!! Talent runs in the family!

#341181 - 03/01/12 07:44 AM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
While she was singing the song, and I hate to admit this, there were tears flowing down my cheeks. I tried to wipe them off before she saw them, but she noticed and asked "Are you crying, Dad?" I replied "Yes, but don't tell anyone."

Why not?
Must men continue to hide their tears, in fear of appearing weak and vulnerable.
Gary, that was a beautiful story. smile
As both an artist and musician, its especially important that we open up our hearts freely with honest expressive emotion when we sing and play.
btw: how are things progressing following your cataract surgery.
Did you eventually change switch from a soft to a hard lenses? I hope your eyesight is finally improving. - Scott

#341182 - 03/01/12 07:53 AM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: Scottyee]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, welcome to the "Crusty old dad" club...a little crusty on the outside, sometimes, with a warm, soft middle.

I feel the same way every time my trio plays...several times a week...my grandson on drums, my son on bass and "dad, the old softee.

You're a good man, friend,

Russ

#341187 - 03/01/12 08:10 AM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks for the kudos everyone. I'll forward this link to Laura and I'm sure she'll love reading the comments as much as I have.

Scott, I spent an entire day having various tests done at another eye group's center, they explained in great detail what was wrong, and they feel they can correct much of the problem(s) with laser surgery and some minor adjustments of the existing lenses. I'll be back there in two weeks to get things started, and hopefully my sight will be restored shortly thereafter. There is, however, a good chance that I'll be wearing eyeglasses again, and likely for the rest of my life. Not much more I can do at this time other than hope for the best. Today is also the day that DNJ will be undergoing a biopsy of an eyelid and possibly having eyelid surgery in the not too distant future. I wish him well.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#341189 - 03/01/12 08:24 AM Re: Over The Rainbow... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary and Laura ... beautifully done ... to bad we didn't have a chance to hear Laura sing during our visit ...

Gary ... I think Laura would be a great addition to your performances ...

BTW ... our daughter is also named Laura ...

It is a very special feeling when you have the chance to gig with your child ... I had that opportunity when our son was in high school and played electric bass ... unfortunately, he stopped playing when he went to college ...

Gary, give our best to your family, especially that wonderful grandson of yours ... smile

PS ... I just played the mp3 for Lydia and she wants to know why your are not performing as a duo?

Edited by tony mads usa (03/01/12 08:29 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online