SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#340475 - 02/21/12 07:10 PM Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ?
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Hi everyone. I’ve been out from the forum for a while, however I’ve been checking it from time to time to see what’s going on with arrangers (not seen much really).
I’m writing because I’ve been tempted once more to upgrade my arranger. Some of you may remember I’ve built a three manual organ set up with my Pa500, Psr s900, Mediastation, Korg Tr Ws and a Roland pedalboard.
Well, as I said, now I’ve been tempted because Korg has very competitive prices in my country (Argentina) and the Pa3x 61 keys has finally arrived at US$ 4600. The Yamaha Tyros line has never been introduced officially here however I found only one music store with a T3 at Us$ 9000.- (yes you read well: Tyros3 at US$ 9000!!) So, there’s no doubt which one to choose.
My biggest concern is if it’s worth changing my Pa500 for the Pax3, or perhaps the Pa800 (Us$ 3600). To my ears the pa500 has fantastic sounds though I would trade it for a better sounding keyboard. I don’t need Mp3, voice processor, sampling or fine tweaking ; it’s only the better sound quality, DNC sounds, better key feel with aftertouch and the ribbon control what makes me enthusiastic about upgrading.
So do you think it’s worth the money for only better sounds and keys?
I short, my profile:
-Amateur, hobbyist; home environment player; don’t sing; organ background; play orchestral music, ballads and some pop and rock.
-M Audio Bx8a monitors
-1 to 2 hours a day playing, just sit and play, no deep tweaking, impatient when things go wrong confused1
-Mediastation used to link all keyboards, mp3/video player, play vst/giga sounds, not a steady instrument, easy to fail when you work with it like a computer and I have no computer knowledge computer
-Middle class, not millionaire wink

Since I can’t try the Pa3x/pa800 because they are not in showrooms I want your opinion about the sound improvement I’ll get and also if there are important differences between Pa3x and pa800’s sound quality (I know very well other specifications about these instruments) Can I build into the pa800 most of the missing DNC sounds from the Pa3x? When I turn it on will any of them blow my socks off?

Thank you

Victor

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#340481 - 02/21/12 07:30 PM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
Dnj Offline

I honestly think judging by your post and your playing needs & style of musical enjoyment that you would be better off with a TYROS4 then a KORG Pa anything.... listen to Thelmos songs.

#340483 - 02/21/12 07:35 PM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA

Victor

If you haven't already, see stephenm52's comments in the thread "Taken by Surprise Today At Audioworks". If you can attract his attention, maybe he can answer your questions a little more specifically.

Regards,

Ted

#340488 - 02/21/12 07:58 PM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Hi Victor,

I did play the Pa3X in one of the stores here. Its key feel is very good. Some of the sounds in the Pianos, Organs, Strings section really stand out. Korg states that it has twice the WAVEROM as the previous PA2X(PA800`s big brother).It has all the features you need. But sounds, again could be subjective.
In the following UK launch demos of the PA3X, it sounds fantastic, but I am sure its setup well :
UK launch Part1
UK launch Part2

If its mostly orchestral and ballad music that you play, then I second what Donny said about the Tyros. Its just perfect for such playing. Having said that, it won`t be a bad idea to wait for the Yamaha S910 replacement which is likely to happen sometime soon. It will be very close to the T3 specs but likely without aftertouch.

The Yamaha arrangers like your S900, to my ears, don`t need much tweaking excepting for boosting the Drums may be. It sounds good out of the box.To add to it, you could even couple it with the Roland Bk-7m module for more contemporary open sound for pop/rock genres.

All in all, I think thats a lot of keyboards in the stack along with what you already have smile And the upcoming Yammie + Roland Bk-7m + Korg Pa500 .. you won`t miss the BIG Three and without breaking the bank on a TOTL arranger smile

Good Luck !!

Edited by Jez (02/21/12 08:01 PM)

Auron Music

#340490 - 02/21/12 08:33 PM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Victor,
I've got both, I luved my PA800, but to me the PA3X is better.
Personally haven't regretted upgrading.

Check out Stephen's post
http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread..._Aud#Post340391

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#340496 - 02/21/12 10:03 PM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guys, the question was if he should upgrade to PA3X. Yamaha apparently has ridiculous pricing in his country and can't be considered.
I'm really hard to please, and I like the PA3X a lot, and I hated the PA800. For what it's worth.
DonM

#340500 - 02/22/12 01:02 AM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Vagro,

I have the PA800 with the Yamaha PSR900 and I think the combination is a winner in every way. Sounds, Styles galore and at a very decent price.
Considering you already have the 900 I would consider swapping the PA500 for the PA800. The PA3X definitely has a number of sounds not residing in the PA800 but it won't blow your socks off imho.........
Good luck in your choice,

John

#340503 - 02/22/12 03:52 AM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
Bachus Offline

I dont see why you would upgrade your PA800 to a T4 if you allready have a PSR 900 in your setup?

The PA3X has some nice additions over the PA800,

8 vs 4 Multi effects
200 more sounds of very high quallity, espescially the new DNS and (E) piano sounds
80 more standard styles
300 more positions to save styles
The styles have 4 fills instead of 3, and the guitar mode in styles is hugely improved
Double the sample ram
The PA3X has a wonderfull chord sequencer...
The PA3X has a ribon controller and 8 assignable sliders
Very much improved vocaliser

On the downside it is a kg heavier and has no build in speakersystem... which in your situation dont really matter.

In the end, the PA3X is much more complete then the PA800 and sounds way better, the choice is yours tough.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#340510 - 02/22/12 08:33 AM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Thank you all for your quick answer

I actually enjoy both brands of keyboards, both are great sounding machines, when my ears get tired from one sound I swicht to the other and, as a matter of fact, I always play Yamaha styles with Korg drums. I would keep both arrangers.

The Tyros is not considered because of the price. The psr s910 has arrived a couple of months ago at Us$3000 and I don't consider it a major upgrade, so just think when the s910 replacement is in the market it will take 2 to 3 years to arrive to my country, may be in 2015.

But wow...it was a lot of help reading Stephenm52's review about the Pa3x. I expected that kind of comments, someone who found a complete renewal in the sound from the previous Pa.

I think I will go for it, I never regreted for any purchase yet.

PS Bachus thanks but you misunderstood something, I own a pa500.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#340514 - 02/22/12 08:53 AM Re: Is it worth for me upgrading to a Pa3x ? [Re: vagro]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Victor,

Sorry I have to be brief, I'm in the middle of trying to solve a some problems at my day job. I recommend the Pa3x all the way. I've had Pa800 and Pa2xPro and this is definitely a step up.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online