SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#339233 - 02/09/12 11:30 PM Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've decided to finally join others here and get a Portable Digital Recorder.
In addition to recording live music concerts and shows,
it will make it more convenient to record my own keyboard-vocal performances as well,
recording directly out my keboard, or external mixer, into the stereo line-in of the portable recorder.

The top contenders for me include the Tascam DR-O7 MKii and the Zoom H4n.

One very appealing unique feature the Zoom H4n has that the Tascam doesn't have, is
being able to record 1, 2 or 4 tracks at a time as well as multitrack features like overdub, and bouncing of tracks.
That said, the Zoom H4n costs more than twice the price of the Tascam DR-07 MKii: street price: $140 (DR-07 MKii) vs. $299 (Zoom H4n).
Is it worth the big price difference to gain the features of the Zoom H4n?
Also, the Tascam weighs less and is slimmer and smaller than the relatively bulkier Zoom H4n.

Anyone here own, recommend, or have experience with either these Portable recorders,
or perhaps have another recommendation? Thanks.

Tascam DR-07 MKii Highlights:

Zoom H4n Multi Track Recording Demo:

#339234 - 02/09/12 11:37 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Nice bit of kit, it's a must, I look at the Zoom was going to buy one for Christmas, think I might go for this, Scott I will be back with a Uk price.

Tony

Scott £129.00 in the UK think I wil get one Amazon, it's a woot

Edited by Tony Hughes (02/09/12 11:48 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#339245 - 02/10/12 01:53 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
There is one particular feature of this Tascam version which I am a litle concerned about...the unprotected xy and ab mics.I wonder how many get rough treatment and get problems with the unstable swivel action of the mics?
On the Zoom Q3HD the mics are in a protective cage. After all the mics are the most important part of the recorder.
With the Zoom Q3HD , you can also record video....just think of that!
It is only a few pounds more than the Tascam. My ZoomQ3HD was £179.99 from Maplin's.
My past experience of buying stuff is that often I wish I had paid a few more pounds for the more sophisticated version!

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (02/10/12 02:02 AM)

#339246 - 02/10/12 01:57 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ho Eddie,

Now you tell me I have ordered it.....grrrrrrrrrrrh

You still have not called me, hope you are OK

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#339248 - 02/10/12 02:06 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]

Morning Tony,
I'm fine thank you for asking.
You were certainly quick off the mark with your reply!
Surely you can cancel or return the other if you think it is worth while but you may have all you need with the Tascam.

#339277 - 02/10/12 07:34 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
8TrackJoe Offline

Scottyee, not trying to over step into this thread, but I've got the Zoom H4N so I can offer some perspective on it. I personally like it. Couple of things to consider; 1) when you run line level into the unit you will need to pad the level down. For some reason Zoom appears to have made the auto sensing line level input on the Combo Jack more for guitar rather than line level from a mixing board. There's more info on the internet about this issue. 2) you can only record 4 tracks at once in the 4 track mode and there are no effects available. Not a big issue for me since I plug my Roland VA5 into the unit and then sing into the Zoom's built in mics. 3) in multi track mode you can only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time and this is where the effects are located.

I know that several people that are using DSLR cameras to shoot with have turned to the H4n as a separate stand alone recording device. Also remember that with a unit like this, no matter the brand, there will be a lot in the menu system that you will have to dig through.

Since downsizing quite a bit at my house, I replaced a lot of gear with the H4n for practicing and simple recording. I've also used it to record live performances as well as podcasts. It's nice to plug two external mics into it and have 4 channels for post editing.

I was really interested in the new Roland unit, but I just couldn't find enough justification to spend an extra $200 or so dollars.

Joe

#339279 - 02/10/12 08:41 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Scott,

Are you going to use all those features and it's twice the cost.

Tony

BTW, I have not just bought mine for music recording, I am running a £6M contract for a defence company and no one is taking minutes at the meetings, so I will just stand the little critter in the middle of the table and BAM they are all on record including me.

#339280 - 02/10/12 09:02 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Now I have order the Tascam, can you tell me how you recorded that KMA demos you did, it was good, did you use something like this or what.

Tony

#339282 - 02/10/12 09:46 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tascam has two models reasonably priced that do allow 4 tracks to be recorded. I'm thinking about getting one.
DR2d, DR100mki are both very interesting options.
DonM

#339283 - 02/10/12 09:57 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Tascam has two models reasonably priced that do allow 4 tracks to be recorded. I'm thinking about getting one.
DR2d, DR100mki are both very interesting options.
DonM

Don, take a looks see if this helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYMWvYMgius

dance2

#339288 - 02/10/12 11:46 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

Now I have order the Tascam, can you tell me how you recorded that KMA demos you did, it was good, did you use something like this or what.

Tony

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Tony this is all you need. Mixcraft 5 is the best recording software I have ever used.....best bang for the buck.
Tony just watch the series of demo videos....

#339289 - 02/10/12 12:13 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
At 4:00 PM today we're starting a voice-over for a film done for the University Dental College using an old Zoom H-2. Good, reliable stuff!

For V/O work, the microphone we use is an MXL 990. Fragile and so sensitive you HAVE TO HAVE an isolation booth and a wind screen.

They are great for miking acoustic instruments also.

The score was also recorded using a looper, nylon guitar, electric piano, Godin fretless bass and some percussion instruments into the H-2, as was the 10 minute video of guitar music I posted a while back.

The new little H4 four track is on order for field work with multiple tracks.

Works GREAT for us.

Russ

#339290 - 02/10/12 12:26 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I used my Zoom H2 last night to record my performance at an Italian restaurant, and I just posted a half-dozen songs from it on the PSR Tutorial site. No problems whatsoever--it works great. I fully agree with Russ--it's a great bang for the buck.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#339291 - 02/10/12 12:39 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Dnj Offline

#339292 - 02/10/12 01:07 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I probably shouldn't do this, but here's a half-dozen songs from last night's performance at an Italian restaurant. All were one-shot recordings on the Zoom H2 digital recorder, no editing, so it's mistakes and all. All the songs with the exception of Wonderful Tonight were produced using styles directly from my trusty, old, PSR-3000, the vocals were done with a Crown CM-311A headset mic plugged directly into the keyboard's mic input. The Zoom recorder was connected directly to the keyboard's headphone out jack and plugged into the recorder's Line In jack using a standard, 1/8-inch stereo cable with a 1/4-inch stereo adapter at the keyboard end.

http://www.box.com/s/au8rkj7kilvd2h2ht0c0
http://www.box.com/s/gzg13glvmkf1kh82vh85
http://www.box.com/s/rmbgczav05e5omt2csve
http://www.box.com/s/cuk2e971mquogeny3083
http://www.box.com/s/2e93jk3pvjtu0x1sxza2
http://www.box.com/s/a9c1uaqnvonflznhhpty

All comments graciously accepted--good or bad, wink

Gary cool

#339293 - 02/10/12 01:59 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Hi Gary,
Thanks for posting your Zoom H2 live performance recordings.
The unit sounds very impressive and suits your vocal style well as demonstrated on your songs 'Jamaican Farewell' & 'Country Roads'.
I look forward to hearing future recordings featuring more of your live keyboard playing.
Scott cool

PS: I just picked up the Tascam DR-07MKII today and looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

#339295 - 02/10/12 02:32 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott,
Good choice, the DR-07MKII $135 on sale @ Amazon is a good deal:
http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-07MKII-P..._pr_product_top about the same price as the TASCAM DR-07MK 1
Have fun with it, and look forward to a demo smile

Tony,
I thought all your meetings were top secret.

Gary,
Nice job, the recordings were crisp and clear, and had a nice balance of vocals and keyboard... Don't remember you having that deep of a voice. What key do you prefer? Do you ever use any VH settings? Finally I like the style for "Wonderful Tonight" (hint) smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#339297 - 02/10/12 03:04 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

Hi Larry,
My local Guitar Center Store matched the
$132.37 online advertised price at Buy.Com. cool
so I've already got the Tascam DR-07MKii in my hands now. dance2
No shipping required.

#339298 - 02/10/12 03:10 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I have a Tascam DR-07 and the Zoom H4n, both units work fine. I use them alot. You'll like it, Scott.

#339299 - 02/10/12 03:22 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

I have a PR10 and a DR07. Be careful because I have lost the battery covers off both of them! Other than that they are great. The PR10 can be powered via USB.
DonM

#339300 - 02/10/12 03:30 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: 8TrackJoe]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: 8TrackJoe
when you run line level into the unit you will need to pad the level down. For some reason Zoom appears to have made the auto sensing line level input on the Combo Jack more for guitar rather than line level from a mixing board. There's more info on the internet about this issue.

Hi 8TrackJoe, smile
Yes, I did read about this issue reported by a number of Zoom recorder owners in their Amazon.Com reviews and it immediately drew my attention, especially because I want to record out from my mixer into the line-in of my recorder as well. This concern perhaps swayed me into deciding on the Tascam DR-07MKii over a Zoom recorder. That said, is it not possible on the Zoom recorder to simply turn the rec input level down low enough, or alternatively, turn down the mixer's output level enough to avoid overloading the input signal into the Zoom recorder? Other than that, the Zoom H models & features sound very very impressive, especially the H4n. smile

Scott

#339307 - 02/10/12 05:46 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: lahawk]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk

Gary,
Nice job, the recordings were crisp and clear, and had a nice balance of vocals and keyboard... Don't remember you having that deep of a voice. What key do you prefer? Do you ever use any VH settings? Finally I like the style for "Wonderful Tonight" (hint) smile

Thanks Larry. Yep, the voice is deep, and I can do the Um Papa Mau Mau in Elvira right at the bottom of the barrel. wink As for the keys, they vary from song to song and I try to sing at a comfortable level at all times. Two years ago I found out that I have asbestosis, which will eventually kill me unless something else gets me first. Consequently, I now have less than 1/4 of the lung capacity I had a decade ago. I can still manage to belt out the tunes, but I can't hold those longer notes anymore. I still song My Way, but it's getting a lot more difficult these days.

I fire the style file off in the morning.

Gary cool

#339319 - 02/10/12 09:47 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: lahawk]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk

Tony,

I thought all your meetings were top secret.

Doh Larry,

Hell, now the cats out of the bag (I will explain "the cats out the bag" if you don't know what it means)... No Larry, I am not working in or on the Nuke Submarines, I am working in the offices where the design engineers CAD up the Subs. BTW they want someone to paint the old subs back in for service, the problem is they want them painting under water, do you offer this service Larry, you don't need to watch it dry on this occasion!!!

rotf2

Larry, I will hand it to you, you are one of the sharper knifes in the drawer on SZ

Kind Regards

Tony

#339321 - 02/10/12 10:36 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Donny,

Tony

Tony this is all you need. Mixcraft 5 is the best recording software I have ever used.....best bang for the buck.

Donny,

Have I wasted my hard earned cash on a Tascam, is this what you used to do the demo, right out the back of the KMA.

Tony

#339323 - 02/11/12 01:01 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: travlin'easy]

Thanks Gary for the songs, great recordings,and beautifully done.
Your PSR3000 sounds as if it is just right for your interpretations.
I found a new key to play in! Your key of E for 'At Last' feels nice and easy to use after my years of playing just about everything in F!and using the transpose!
cheers
Eddie

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (02/11/12 01:03 AM)

#339325 - 02/11/12 01:15 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]

Quote:
the design engineers CAD up the Subs.

Presumably computer-aided-design?
That takes me back to the drawing board! (used to be involved with CAD in the design of glassware....)
cheers

#339327 - 02/11/12 01:41 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Donny,

Tony

Donny,

is this what you used to do the demo, right out the back of the KMA.Tony

Yes Tony... Mixcraft 5

#339461 - 02/12/12 05:20 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
8TrackJoe Offline

Scottyee,

If you are using a mixing board you could try and turn the volume levels down on your output. I know I've had to do that with my keyboard. Also, depending on the mixing board you could set the outputs to mic level, I know the Mackie boards have this feature. And yes you do have manual control over the input level so you can turn the volume level down on both the source and the H4n. Thus far I've not used it in that setup. Haven't played around with all the effects and track bouncing, but so far the recordings that I've done have sounded good. Plus I can connect to my computer and use it as a USB audio device. Also keep in mind that with most places you have a certain amount of time to be able to return the unit if it's not what you really want.

IMO, I think most all of these new portable recorders will provide a person with good recordings. Where they begin to separate is in the additional features (4 track recording, types of effects, on board editing, etc). I'm trying to finish up moving from my old house and found my original Fostex X-15 4-track cassette recorder and just stood there in amazement at how far technology has come.

Good luck with whatever device you decide on.

Joe

#339464 - 02/12/12 05:44 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: 8TrackJoe]
Dnj Offline

#339986 - 02/16/12 12:10 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online