SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#339300 - 02/10/12 03:30 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: 8TrackJoe]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: 8TrackJoe
when you run line level into the unit you will need to pad the level down. For some reason Zoom appears to have made the auto sensing line level input on the Combo Jack more for guitar rather than line level from a mixing board. There's more info on the internet about this issue.

Hi 8TrackJoe, smile
Yes, I did read about this issue reported by a number of Zoom recorder owners in their Amazon.Com reviews and it immediately drew my attention, especially because I want to record out from my mixer into the line-in of my recorder as well. This concern perhaps swayed me into deciding on the Tascam DR-07MKii over a Zoom recorder. That said, is it not possible on the Zoom recorder to simply turn the rec input level down low enough, or alternatively, turn down the mixer's output level enough to avoid overloading the input signal into the Zoom recorder? Other than that, the Zoom H models & features sound very very impressive, especially the H4n. smile

Scott

#339307 - 02/10/12 05:46 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: lahawk]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: lahawk

Gary,
Nice job, the recordings were crisp and clear, and had a nice balance of vocals and keyboard... Don't remember you having that deep of a voice. What key do you prefer? Do you ever use any VH settings? Finally I like the style for "Wonderful Tonight" (hint) smile

Thanks Larry. Yep, the voice is deep, and I can do the Um Papa Mau Mau in Elvira right at the bottom of the barrel. wink As for the keys, they vary from song to song and I try to sing at a comfortable level at all times. Two years ago I found out that I have asbestosis, which will eventually kill me unless something else gets me first. Consequently, I now have less than 1/4 of the lung capacity I had a decade ago. I can still manage to belt out the tunes, but I can't hold those longer notes anymore. I still song My Way, but it's getting a lot more difficult these days.

I fire the style file off in the morning.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#339319 - 02/10/12 09:47 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: lahawk]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk

Tony,

I thought all your meetings were top secret.

Doh Larry,

Hell, now the cats out of the bag (I will explain "the cats out the bag" if you don't know what it means)... No Larry, I am not working in or on the Nuke Submarines, I am working in the offices where the design engineers CAD up the Subs. BTW they want someone to paint the old subs back in for service, the problem is they want them painting under water, do you offer this service Larry, you don't need to watch it dry on this occasion!!!

rotf2

Larry, I will hand it to you, you are one of the sharper knifes in the drawer on SZ

Kind Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#339321 - 02/10/12 10:36 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

Now I have order the Tascam, can you tell me how you recorded that KMA demos you did, it was good, did you use something like this or what.

Tony

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Tony this is all you need. Mixcraft 5 is the best recording software I have ever used.....best bang for the buck.
Tony just watch the series of demo videos....

Donny,

Have I wasted my hard earned cash on a Tascam, is this what you used to do the demo, right out the back of the KMA.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#339323 - 02/11/12 01:01 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: travlin'easy]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Thanks Gary for the songs, great recordings,and beautifully done.
Your PSR3000 sounds as if it is just right for your interpretations.
I found a new key to play in! Your key of E for 'At Last' feels nice and easy to use after my years of playing just about everything in F!and using the transpose!
cheers
Eddie

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (02/11/12 01:03 AM)

#339325 - 02/11/12 01:15 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
the design engineers CAD up the Subs.

Presumably computer-aided-design?
That takes me back to the drawing board! (used to be involved with CAD in the design of glassware....)
cheers

#339327 - 02/11/12 01:41 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Donny,

Now I have order the Tascam, can you tell me how you recorded that KMA demos you did, it was good, did you use something like this or what.

Tony

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Tony this is all you need. Mixcraft 5 is the best recording software I have ever used.....best bang for the buck.
Tony just watch the series of demo videos....

Donny,

is this what you used to do the demo, right out the back of the KMA.Tony

Yes Tony... Mixcraft 5

#339461 - 02/12/12 05:20 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
8TrackJoe Offline

Scottyee,

If you are using a mixing board you could try and turn the volume levels down on your output. I know I've had to do that with my keyboard. Also, depending on the mixing board you could set the outputs to mic level, I know the Mackie boards have this feature. And yes you do have manual control over the input level so you can turn the volume level down on both the source and the H4n. Thus far I've not used it in that setup. Haven't played around with all the effects and track bouncing, but so far the recordings that I've done have sounded good. Plus I can connect to my computer and use it as a USB audio device. Also keep in mind that with most places you have a certain amount of time to be able to return the unit if it's not what you really want.

IMO, I think most all of these new portable recorders will provide a person with good recordings. Where they begin to separate is in the additional features (4 track recording, types of effects, on board editing, etc). I'm trying to finish up moving from my old house and found my original Fostex X-15 4-track cassette recorder and just stood there in amazement at how far technology has come.

Good luck with whatever device you decide on.

Joe

#339464 - 02/12/12 05:44 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: 8TrackJoe]
Dnj Offline

#339986 - 02/16/12 12:10 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online