SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#339233 - 02/09/12 11:30 PM Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've decided to finally join others here and get a Portable Digital Recorder.
In addition to recording live music concerts and shows,
it will make it more convenient to record my own keyboard-vocal performances as well,
recording directly out my keboard, or external mixer, into the stereo line-in of the portable recorder.

The top contenders for me include the Tascam DR-O7 MKii and the Zoom H4n.

One very appealing unique feature the Zoom H4n has that the Tascam doesn't have, is
being able to record 1, 2 or 4 tracks at a time as well as multitrack features like overdub, and bouncing of tracks.
That said, the Zoom H4n costs more than twice the price of the Tascam DR-07 MKii: street price: $140 (DR-07 MKii) vs. $299 (Zoom H4n).
Is it worth the big price difference to gain the features of the Zoom H4n?
Also, the Tascam weighs less and is slimmer and smaller than the relatively bulkier Zoom H4n.

Anyone here own, recommend, or have experience with either these Portable recorders,
or perhaps have another recommendation? Thanks.

Tascam DR-07 MKii Highlights:

Zoom H4n Multi Track Recording Demo:

#339234 - 02/09/12 11:37 PM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Nice bit of kit, it's a must, I look at the Zoom was going to buy one for Christmas, think I might go for this, Scott I will be back with a Uk price.

Tony

Scott £129.00 in the UK think I wil get one Amazon, it's a woot

Edited by Tony Hughes (02/09/12 11:48 PM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#339245 - 02/10/12 01:53 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
There is one particular feature of this Tascam version which I am a litle concerned about...the unprotected xy and ab mics.I wonder how many get rough treatment and get problems with the unstable swivel action of the mics?
On the Zoom Q3HD the mics are in a protective cage. After all the mics are the most important part of the recorder.
With the Zoom Q3HD , you can also record video....just think of that!
It is only a few pounds more than the Tascam. My ZoomQ3HD was £179.99 from Maplin's.
My past experience of buying stuff is that often I wish I had paid a few more pounds for the more sophisticated version!

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (02/10/12 02:02 AM)

#339246 - 02/10/12 01:57 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
Tony Hughes Offline

Ho Eddie,

Now you tell me I have ordered it.....grrrrrrrrrrrh

You still have not called me, hope you are OK

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#339248 - 02/10/12 02:06 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Tony Hughes]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Morning Tony,
I'm fine thank you for asking.
You were certainly quick off the mark with your reply!
Surely you can cancel or return the other if you think it is worth while but you may have all you need with the Tascam.

#339277 - 02/10/12 07:34 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
8TrackJoe Offline

Scottyee, not trying to over step into this thread, but I've got the Zoom H4N so I can offer some perspective on it. I personally like it. Couple of things to consider; 1) when you run line level into the unit you will need to pad the level down. For some reason Zoom appears to have made the auto sensing line level input on the Combo Jack more for guitar rather than line level from a mixing board. There's more info on the internet about this issue. 2) you can only record 4 tracks at once in the 4 track mode and there are no effects available. Not a big issue for me since I plug my Roland VA5 into the unit and then sing into the Zoom's built in mics. 3) in multi track mode you can only record 1 or 2 tracks at a time and this is where the effects are located.

I know that several people that are using DSLR cameras to shoot with have turned to the H4n as a separate stand alone recording device. Also remember that with a unit like this, no matter the brand, there will be a lot in the menu system that you will have to dig through.

Since downsizing quite a bit at my house, I replaced a lot of gear with the H4n for practicing and simple recording. I've also used it to record live performances as well as podcasts. It's nice to plug two external mics into it and have 4 channels for post editing.

I was really interested in the new Roland unit, but I just couldn't find enough justification to spend an extra $200 or so dollars.

Joe

#339279 - 02/10/12 08:41 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Scott,

Are you going to use all those features and it's twice the cost.

Tony

BTW, I have not just bought mine for music recording, I am running a £6M contract for a defence company and no one is taking minutes at the meetings, so I will just stand the little critter in the middle of the table and BAM they are all on record including me.

#339280 - 02/10/12 09:02 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

Now I have order the Tascam, can you tell me how you recorded that KMA demos you did, it was good, did you use something like this or what.

Tony

#339282 - 02/10/12 09:46 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tascam has two models reasonably priced that do allow 4 tracks to be recorded. I'm thinking about getting one.
DR2d, DR100mki are both very interesting options.
DonM

#339283 - 02/10/12 09:57 AM Re: Zoom H4n Vs. Tascam DR-07 MKII Digital Recorder [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Tascam has two models reasonably priced that do allow 4 tracks to be recorded. I'm thinking about getting one.
DR2d, DR100mki are both very interesting options.
DonM

Don, take a looks see if this helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYMWvYMgius

dance2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online