SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#339139 - 02/08/12 08:51 PM PBS Special: Merle Haggard
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Some of you have expressed interest in getting into country music. I am a big fan of much of country music and he is one of my favorites. Great writer, and one of the greatest voices ever. THIS is the real deal. Out of all of the documentaries I've seen, this might be the best. Merle Haggard is one of the greatest songwriters ever. Spend one and half hours with Merle, you'll be glad you did. Even if you are not a country fan. If you admire the people who write the songs, watch this one.

Merle Haggard: Learning To Live With Myself

#339164 - 02/09/12 08:40 AM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Saw it last time it was on. Very good!

#339165 - 02/09/12 09:00 AM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks for letting us know.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#339185 - 02/09/12 11:52 AM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I talk about not liking country music, but I have certainly played my share, including trips to Bakersfield in 1962-3, backing people like the Burnette Brothers (Tommy and Dorsey), the Browns, and, of course, interacting with Buck Owens and others.

"If we make it thru December" is one of the strongest message songs I have ever played.

"Working Man Blues", with Buck Trent playing lead guitar was just pure fun.

I respect song writers. What I don't like about country music is simple structure (often, for me, boring to play).

What I like about the very good writers of country music is the story telling.

Merle is a monster in that department.

By the way....is Merle really "Haggard"?

Sorry (LOL)

Russ (Buck) Lay

#339189 - 02/09/12 12:24 PM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I always loved that song "IF WE MAKE IT THROUGH DECEMBER." And "WORKING MAN BLUES" is awesome, I play that often.

I can see why much of country would bore a player like you, Russ. Western swing should keep you busy. But the stark beauty of a three-chord song is wonderfully appealing to me. And jazz gives me a headache, too many chords! To each his own (as I strum a three-chord songs on my lovely Guild D40CSB which has been beside me for a few days now... picking with it lately)!

#339190 - 02/09/12 12:28 PM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

one of my favorite country duets with Merle Haggard & Jewel Silver Wings

Edited by Dnj (02/09/12 12:31 PM)

#339191 - 02/09/12 12:38 PM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Saw him perform "live" many years ago, when he was still fighting booze, and had the nickname "Merle Staggard".

Watched the story on him just a few weeks ago...awesome performer and song writer...quite a life.

Music is like food...some like meat and potatoes (Country), some like the more extravagant fare.

It all has a message...some are just easier to grasp on first listen.

Ian

#339197 - 02/09/12 01:14 PM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, that really makes me feel GOOD! The Guild is a GREAT old guitar, and I couldn't imagine a better home for it.

More than anything, the thing that kept me from doing any storytelling music (including folk in it's heyday) is the complete inability to entertain.

And, I never learned to get the dynamic out of a steel string acoustic instrument the way really good acoustic players do.

A favorite of this old "jazzer" is Vince Gill, who can play me under the table in any style with one hand. And Steve Warner blows me away every time I see him (he actually complimented ME when he visited the Merrick Inn when I was there...must not have been hearing well (LOL).

The thing is, there is beautiful, meaningful music in all areas and styles, if we just stay open minded.

Merle is a national treasure.

(Texas swing is COOL; especially the current line-up of "Asleep at the Wheel"). BTW, they ended up with a great old triple neck Fender non-pedal steel of mine in the late 60's.

Be well, friend,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/09/12 01:17 PM)

#339209 - 02/09/12 03:11 PM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
[quote=captain Russ]What I like about the very good writers of country music is the story telling.

quote]

That's what Charlie Parker liked about country music too.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#339212 - 02/09/12 04:30 PM Re: PBS Special: Merle Haggard [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
124 Offline

Hi Semi,
I didn't catch the PBS show. Still, they have a habit of repeating things and I'll be watching out for it next time out. That link won't open for me. A message comes up about it not being available in my area because of rights and stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online