#338858 - 02/05/12 10:58 PM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Cool cool
It even includes a lesson on LH jazz rootless chord voicings:
http://www.freejazzlessons.com/category/left-hand-voicings/

Yep, I worked on that lesson and loved the voicings. So sweet to play a right hand lead line over.

#338859 - 02/05/12 11:46 PM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: DonM]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Country pickers play 3 chords for 3,000 people. Jazzers play 3000 chords for 3 people. smile
O.K., I'll go check out the site anyway. I'm semi-rootless myself.
DonM

Reminds me of the time Buddy Rich was admitted to the hospital. They asked him if he was allergic to anything, and he said, yes, country music. rotfl

#338861 - 02/06/12 12:22 AM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Nigel]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Nigel,
might encourage me to dust off the old piano. haahaa

Originally Posted By: Nigel
http://www.freejazzlessons.com/ A great website that provides exactly what it says, totally free video jazz lessons. Well worth checking out for keyboard tips on chord voicings and jazz playing in general.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338862 - 02/06/12 12:56 AM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Scottyee]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Scottyee
Cool cool
It even includes a lesson on LH jazz rootless chord voicings:
http://www.freejazzlessons.com/category/left-hand-voicings/

This is also a good one ... Two Handed Rootless Chord Voicings
http://www.freejazzlessons.com/jazz-chords-how-to-play-two-handed-comping-chords-rootless-voicings/

#338894 - 02/06/12 08:23 AM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Nigel]
124 Offline

Don, I wish I could say I was too tricky to get old, but it ain't happening.

Edited by 124 (02/06/12 08:24 AM)

#338901 - 02/06/12 09:15 AM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Nigel]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
This thread made me think of this story. Hope you folks do not mind me telling it.

I was a hotshot Tenor Sax R&B, and Rock and Roll player around 1858 or there about. Boots Randolph myself and handful of guys at the time were playing Yakety Sax at the time. An older bass player heard my band auditioning one afternoon at a club and hired me on the spot to play with his band the next weekend because his sax player was not able to make it. This was one of the best bands I ever gigged with. They even did quite a few of the old jazz standards that my band could not play.

Here’s the gist of the story. On the drive from New Orleans to Raceland La. we argued about what was the most popular music. I need to note that around New Orleans, Fats Domino, Bobby Charles, Clarence Frogman Henry, Bobby Mitchell, etc was what was happening in the clubs, high school dances so on and so forth. Of course, I said Rock and Roll and even though he and his band played mostly R&R, he said country. I laughed and laughed.

I reflected on this for several days and came to realize that even in New Orleans there were more country radio stations then all other styles of music combined. I figured then that I had better look for a day gig because I would not be able to support a family on music money. Ha! Ha!

Don is dead on. I wish I never would have stumbled on that fourth chord. I have not been able to support my family on music money since. Don is modest to an extent, but I am sure he makes as much money if not more than anyone here on the forum. And don’t forget he works around and lives in Bossier City, not New York!

The reason he is not rich is that he buys every new thing that comes out. Of course, he sounds great on any thing he decides to play. In addition, he is not making it on his looks. He could probably make a lot more money as a bouncer on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and would only have to stare at the troublemaker and not raise a hand. Man he is big and mean looking too. I don’t worry about him cause he likes me and, I’m sure I can out run him. Ha! Ha!

I have to check out the site. Nigel do you think he can teach me to play as many notes in a bar as Dexter Gordon, Coltrane and Rollins does without one mistake? I don't think that they are or were human. They are probably from some other planet.

It is impossible to play that tempo and play that many riffs and not make a mistake. What do you folks think? How much stuff do you have to smoke to practice 12 or more hours a day. In a good mood on a great day I may have made a 1 1/2 hour practice some time, I think since 1854.

Edited by brickboo (02/06/12 09:17 AM)

#338903 - 02/06/12 09:28 AM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Nigel]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I AM rich, Boo. I have spent the vast majority of my life working at something I love to do--play music. The money is large enough to keep me going and small enough that I HAVE to keep going.
I am such a capable artist that I make Jazz standards sound Country!
As my late friend HankB said, "I've made hundreds of dollars playing music!"
As far as being a bouncer, I haven't had a fight since I learned to apologize.
With regards to being ugly, guilty as charged, but I was PRETTY as a young man!
Now, I'm off to go bass fishing while the ordinary people sit behind their desks! BAHAHAHHAHA! smile
DonM

#338906 - 02/06/12 09:34 AM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I AM rich, Boo. I have spent the vast majority of my life working at something I love to do--play music. The money is large enough to keep me going and small enough that I HAVE to keep going.
I am such a capable artist that I make Jazz standards sound Country!
As my late friend HankB said, "I've made hundreds of dollars playing music!"
As far as being a bouncer, I haven't had a fight since I learned to apologize.
With regards to being ugly, guilty as charged, but I was PRETTY as a young man!
Now, I'm off to go bass fishing while the ordinary people sit behind their desks! BAHAHAHHAHA! smile
DonM

I miss my buddy Hank B........may he R.I.P.

Attachments
dphank.jpg

#338930 - 02/06/12 02:45 PM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: Nigel]
124 Offline

Who's the good-lookin' chick on your shoulder, Donny? Damn, I need new glasses.

#338931 - 02/06/12 02:52 PM Re: freejazzlessons.com [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
Who's the good-lookin' chick on your shoulder, Donny? Damn, I need new glasses.

That's Don M's stage at Earnests Orleans Restaurant in Shreveport Louisiana he would have to answer that.. cool2

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online