SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#338410 - 02/01/12 01:09 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: George Kaye]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: George Kaye
Steve, it was a pleasure and I know I talk a lot but I really like to share my knowledge with interested folks!
I'm a bit confused by Yamaha's comment "it's better to get it done on one pass rather than edit later....."
I can record each track one at a time a build a complete song or record every one of the 16 tracks at the same time but that wouldn't work well for the ability to multi track different ideas one at a time.

Sorry George, he meant I should get my drum part down PAT through one pass, because editing drums later would be really, really tough......So I need to get my drums down EXACTLY how I want it in one pass......I can then Multi-track like you say

BTW.....KORG says the PA1 PROx I tried yesterday won't do what I want, they say no PA will.....2nd person there to say that.....But should I go Arranger the Yamaha 910 is my ticket because of the ability to record my acoustic guitar, harmonies, and of course drum tracks.......I guess I will have to chew hard on getting my drums in one pass.....That does really hurt my flexibility.....

Edited by Steve A (02/01/12 01:13 PM)

#338414 - 02/01/12 01:37 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Better make sure it has copy and paste, punch in, punch out and so forth or you'll find yourself spending weeks if not months doing one tune.

#338417 - 02/01/12 03:20 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Fran Carango]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Fran,
great to get some feedback.
I find it brilliant.
I think some of the Real Tracks started to become available about 3 years ago. My laptop at that time really couldn't handle them. Glitchy. The real drums have been about a bit longer. What I actually tried doing with those was use them in my PA800, ie chop them up into short loops to use with my styles. The available memory in the PA800 was too small & not upgradeable , so I gave up on that notion.
Basically put biab away again, ecept for the odd midi style I converted for my pa800.

Just over a year ago, I got a new laptop, came across the actual demo's, I was sold, I was finally able to run the real tracks properly. I upgraded to the little usb drive so that I could get all the real tracks etc. I installed onto my laptop also, why have an external drive.

The other thing that made it better was the early version didn't have the elastique or something like that, so now instead of having 500 gigs it's down to 100 or so, because we were able to do away with a lot of the loops.

Fran do you also use Real Band? If you haven't had a chance definately look into it too.

I'm sort of getting interested in recording mp3's because my PA3X has the ability to play them, never bothered adding the function to the pa800.

Anyway back to Real Band, if you're a midifile user or use mp3's this program's really worth looking into.
You could load in a midifile , it will work out a chord progression if it hasn't got one,( don't know how accurate it is , but can be fixed) and you can actually replace a midifile track with a real track.
So if your midi drums are lousy, replace it with a real track. If you've got a strumming midi guitar track, replace with a similar real track. You don't have to do much, when you regenerate the guitar track it just follows the chord changes.Save as a song, or as a wav file.
Imagaine some nasty little arranger song , with lousy drums,replace with a real track.

They keep adding more & more of them with each upgrade. Definately worth buying the paks. I think I paid $99 or something for my last upgrade including the real tracks & program. Each of the REal TRack sets would have been $29 each. & I certainly got more than 2 sets.

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Hi Rikki, I agree with you, Band in the box 2012, with real tracks, has come alive...This version is a 100 percent improvement....I have had it for about a week now..I notice on some computers, it hogs some resources..On my good laptop, it flies...For folks that have glitches with it..I suggest, Go into your PC performance and select "best performance", and not "let windows control"...After I changed this setting..No glitches...I also loaded the PG program onto my internal hard drive, instead of the supplied USB drive..(I think the USB drive causes glitches)..

PG Music is on top of it's game.....foR song writers...you should try it.."Band in the Box"..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338418 - 02/01/12 03:30 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny,
have you never actually used BIAB?

As brickaboo said, you just buy a fakebook , & type the chords into biab. choose style, press play, automatic backing.

It can be as simple or complex as you want. I've had it for years and hadn't bothered to learn everything that can be done.

It can even write songs for you. You just have to keep pressing the button till it come up with something you like. You might wear your finger out, but the functions there. haahaa
It comes up with solo's, it can do melodies.
I've never tried this sort of stuff, at times I wish I wasn't such a keyboard addict, I'd probably have a lot of fun with BIAB on it's own.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338424 - 02/01/12 04:14 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bill,
they actually have 2 versions, the more expensive version of the real tracks is supposedly better quality, same styles but they use uncompressed wav files. Wonder what they use for their demo's.

With the Real Drum tracks, I believe I read somewhere a long time ago,that you could even do your own real drum tracks for use in BIAB. Never tried it as I only have the 1 cd of drum loops.Plus it was prior to them using the elastique function ( don't know if that would make any difference ,anyway?), just sounded a bit too complicated at the time.
Be interesting to see if it could still be done & whether the process has been simplified.

Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
After listening to demo's on BIAB site for 2012 edition, drums sound to me as they always have, flat. Wish they were punchier.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338425 - 02/01/12 04:15 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Fran,
great to get some feedback.
I find it brilliant.
I think some of the Real Tracks started to become available about 3 years ago. My laptop at that time really couldn't handle them. Glitchy. The real drums have been about a bit longer. What I actually tried doing with those was use them in my PA800, ie chop them up into short loops to use with my styles. The available memory in the PA800 was too small & not upgradeable , so I gave up on that notion.
Basically put biab away again, ecept for the odd midi style I converted for my pa800.

Just over a year ago, I got a new laptop, came across the actual demo's, I was sold, I was finally able to run the real tracks properly. I upgraded to the little usb drive so that I could get all the real tracks etc. I installed onto my laptop also, why have an external drive.

The other thing that made it better was the early version didn't have the elastique or something like that, so now instead of having 500 gigs it's down to 100 or so, because we were able to do away with a lot of the loops.

Fran do you also use Real Band? If you haven't had a chance definately look into it too.

I'm sort of getting interested in recording mp3's because my PA3X has the ability to play them, never bothered adding the function to the pa800.

Anyway back to Real Band, if you're a midifile user or use mp3's this program's really worth looking into.
You could load in a midifile , it will work out a chord progression if it hasn't got one,( don't know how accurate it is , but can be fixed) and you can actually replace a midifile track with a real track.
So if your midi drums are lousy, replace it with a real track. If you've got a strumming midi guitar track, replace with a similar real track. You don't have to do much, when you regenerate the guitar track it just follows the chord changes.Save as a song, or as a wav file.
Imagaine some nasty little arranger song , with lousy drums,replace with a real track.

They keep adding more & more of them with each upgrade. Definately worth buying the paks. I think I paid $99 or something for my last upgrade including the real tracks & program. Each of the REal TRack sets would have been $29 each. & I certainly got more than 2 sets.

Hi Rikki, I agree with you, Band in the box 2012, with real tracks, has come alive...This version is a 100 percent improvement....I have had it for about a week now..I notice on some computers, it hogs some resources..On my good laptop, it flies...For folks that have glitches with it..I suggest, Go into your PC performance and select "best performance", and not "let windows control"...After I changed this setting..No glitches...I also loaded the PG program onto my internal hard drive, instead of the supplied USB drive..(I think the USB drive causes glitches)..

PG Music is on top of it's game.....foR song writers...you should try it.."Band in the Box"..

Hi Rikki, yes I have the whole library, bonus paks etc...

You touched on a useful feature...Reading an audio file and laying out the chords (Reasonably acurate)..then you can take the chord progression, add composite styles, VST's and real drums and tracks..and you can get a backing track that really kicks butt..This can be done without playing a single note smile

It is also a great feature for learning tunes from CD's etc...

#338428 - 02/01/12 04:36 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi steve,
i have a psr, but i don't really use it, and I can't comment on PA1X, sequencer is possibly different to pa800.
If your your drums are going to be a problem, have you considered recording it as style instead.

OK
KOrg has 4 variations, each of these variations has 6 cv's ( chord variations) that gives you 24 different drum patterns you could have , each up to 32 bars long, just for the variations themselves.
Plus each of the fills , intro's, endings have 2 cv's each, they can be 32 bars long also, including the fills.
Just say you created the style, you could copy parts, edit them whatever it's got a great style editor..
Once you've got your drum style recorded,you could use the step mode record function. Put in the chords & variations for the drum track. Save. Load it into multitrack & record the rest of your tracks.
The reason I mentioned having to type in chords is, each of the cv's is triggered by a different chord type of your choosing.

Originally Posted By: Steve A

Sorry George, he meant I should get my drum part down PAT through one pass, because editing drums later would be really, really tough......So I need to get my drums down EXACTLY how I want it in one pass......I can then Multi-track like you say

BTW.....KORG says the PA1 PROx I tried yesterday won't do what I want, they say no PA will.....2nd person there to say that.....But should I go Arranger the Yamaha 910 is my ticket because of the ability to record my acoustic guitar, harmonies, and of course drum tracks.......I guess I will have to chew hard on getting my drums in one pass.....That does really hurt my flexibility.....

Edited by rikkisbears (02/01/12 04:37 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338429 - 02/01/12 04:46 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Fran Carango]
rikkisbears Offline

Fran,
luv to hear a demo one day of a well known tune. PG do such obscure music for their demo's.
Even though I can type in a chord progression, (anyone can), be good to hear a tune with a well played melody ( leaves me out , haaha) or as a backing for a singer.

Hi Rikki, yes I have the whole library, bonus paks etc...

You touched on a useful feature...Reading an audio file and laying out the chords (Reasonably acurate)..then you can take the chord progression, add composite styles, VST's and real drums and tracks..and you can get a backing track that really kicks butt..This can be done without playing a single note smile

It is also a great feature for learning tunes from CD's etc...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338690 - 02/04/12 02:50 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Well I settled on a used KORG Triton Extreme 61 keys....

I'll pick it up in 2 weeks......

Original Owner, Studio use only, NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH ON IT

$600.......

I figure with the $1000 I save I could add on any of the following...

(Drum Machine BOSS 880, or maybe the Roland Arranger Module BK-7)

Plus with our tax return $$$ we are spending $700 on a new PC.....So as Rikki and others suggested BIAB and also I will need some software for home recording.....

I get all kinds of flexibility, and I will have extra cash flow........

Thanks for all the help guys.....

#338703 - 02/04/12 04:06 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Steve ,
congratulations.
Bet you can't wait till the 2 weeks are up. haahaa
Take your time about what add on you want to get.
It's easier learning one then adding the other.
I made that mistake a few years ago. Bought a friends
Roland VA7, few weeks, later the Technics KN7 came out,
VA7 sat in the corner for the next 2 years till I decided to sell it. I never gave it a chance.

As for software for you new pc. Should you happen to decide to give Band in a Box a try, it comes with a seperate sequencer called Real Tracks. Doesn't get much coverage, but it should.
Real Tracks is included with BIAB, so just keep it in mind.
There's also a RealBand forum over at PG Music.

For home studio, you've even got options like One Man Band realtime arrnger software. It loads & plays yamaha formatted style data.
Styles usually need a fair bit of tweaking to get them to work with whatever soundsource you want to use, great way to get access to yammie styles though. It even has a basic sequencer, a style editor, arranger page where you type in chord progression & style parts, save as midifile.

http://www.1manband.nl/

At least you've got some time to do a bit of homework before you need to decide.

Congrats , once again.

Edited by rikkisbears (02/04/12 04:17 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online