SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#337728 - 01/27/12 02:39 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Kronos is made for different stuff...it excels at what it is designed to do...be a powerful synth.

Arrangers are altogether different.

Ian

If you combined the T4 with the KRonos 88 in one instrument, you would get every composers dream....

Arranger and KARMA combined with the powerfull synth engine and the SA acoustic voices would allow for so much creativitty..

Arrangers allow for a lot of flexibillity when just jamming and improvising..

Sadly most arranger players only use their arrangers to copy the artistic performances of the real musicians.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#337730 - 01/27/12 02:48 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Oh, I am very impressed with the Kronos...and it has a warm rich overall sound that I like...does not sound digital to me, of course, you could make it sound that way.

We had an old Korg PS-3200 (I think that's the number)in the studio...it looked like an old phone exchange, and it had a detachable keyboard, and was fully polyphonic.

The guy I worked with sold it to a collector in British Columbia, Canada...man, did it have some awesome sounds. We use my old Jupiter 8 now for analog stuff.

The Kronos reminds me of that old Korg synth...that same warm quality.

With a Tyros4 you truly would have a keyboardist's dream setup.

I envy Tony already...he's very serious about getting one.

Ian

#337732 - 01/27/12 03:01 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
can the Kronos sound like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxlk9fu1...JjxqW6jo6wBr-mm

I have actually played the Kronos. You will be hard pressed to find a decent guitar on it. My 8 year old PA1X has better guitars on it. I am not saying its a bad instrument. I am just saying technology does not replace talent

#337736 - 01/27/12 03:16 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
Originally Posted By: Dnj
This kind of demo is why arranger players aren't interested in workstations...
I would have rather seen someone play some standards, songs with some of the styles rhythms you have on an arranger KB, waltz, polka, chacha, merengue, R&R, 6/8 ballad etc.. on the KRONOS..

Horses for courses, Donny. Simple as that. On a purely synth forum you'd probably find your question turned 180 degrees with someone asking 'why doesn't the guy play something we can relate to', not this Broadway musical stuff. I don't think anyone in the market for a Kronos is looking play pop stuff, for want of a better term, do you? That said, Baartmans, et al, could probably manage it. As has been said so many times, it's the player, not necessarily the tools.

A workstation should be able to create ANY KIND OF MUSIC no matter what the genre......there will always be a VERY WIDE Gap between arrangers & synth workstation....better business sense & profit that way.. wink

#337737 - 01/27/12 03:18 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
can the Kronos sound like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxlk9fu1...JjxqW6jo6wBr-mm

I have actually played the Kronos. You will be hard pressed to find a decent guitar on it. My 8 year old PA1X has better guitars on it. I am not saying its a bad instrument. I am just saying technology does not replace talent

#337738 - 01/27/12 03:25 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

I certainly wouldn't use a Kronos for guitar sounds (although they are good)...the Tyros4 has quite a great selection of SA acoustic and electric, and is hard to beat for real-time performance control, especially whist playing styles.

The Kronos has other things I'd find very useful, especially the Karma engine, and the analog synth emulators.

That's why it, coupled with a Tyros4, would be a dream setup.

Ian

#337740 - 01/27/12 03:27 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: ianmcnll]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Kronos is made for different stuff...it excels at what it is designed to do...be a powerful synth.

Arrangers are altogether different.

Ian

AGREE!
DonM

#337757 - 01/27/12 04:04 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

That Karma engine would be so cool for doing ad soundtracks, or radio donuts.

When we first started doing them, we used a constantly cantankerous Polymoog and an old 16-step analog sequencer...and no MIDI.

As the old saying goes, "You've come a long way, baby!"

Ian

#337781 - 01/27/12 10:00 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: ianmcnll]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That Karma engine would be so cool for doing ad soundtracks, or radio donuts.

When we first started doing them, we used a constantly cantankerous Polymoog and an old 16-step analog sequencer...and no MIDI.

As the old saying goes, "You've come a long way, baby!"

Ian

When I was doing Ads, right after college, we used real live musicians playing antiquated things known at the time as trumpets, drums, pianos, B3s. Back in Oklahoma we used tom-toms and snake rattles. I don't think sequencer was even a word yet! smile
Don

#337788 - 01/27/12 11:14 PM Re: Performances with Korg Kronos [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

When I was doing Ads, right after college, we used real live musicians playing antiquated things known at the time as trumpets, drums, pianos, B3s. Back in Oklahoma we used tom-toms and snake rattles. I don't think sequencer was even a word yet! smile
Don

I did that routine too, with real musicians, Don, although getting the Mini-Moog and Polymoog synthesizers opened up so many possibilities. The local CBC Radio Corporation station wanted electronic music for many of the segues between shows so myself and another guy formed a little jingle company to get some extra work between playing jobs with the band.

At 62, I've experienced quite a few years playing professional (acoustic piano/Hammond) before the first basic sequencers and synthesizers became commonplace and available to the average man...electronic music was big back then with Tomita, Morton Subotnick, and Walter (destined to become Wendy) Carlos, all doing electronic albums, so the local station wanted to be as progressive as possible at the time.

It worked out pretty good for us, and I still see one or two of the CBC technicians I worked with (now long retired) at the Mall when I go for my daily walk. We made decent money for the time, but the most important benefit was the experience with synthesizers and recording methods that was to serve me later on in getting work with Roland, Casio, and eventually Yamaha.

Strange when you look back and see the process that took us to where we are today...makes me believe that "everything happens for a reason".

Ian

PS...Does the Korg PA3X have a decent snake rattle preset?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online