SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#338357 - 01/31/12 11:19 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: George Kaye]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi George,
that's great.

[quote=George Kaye]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338376 - 02/01/12 07:00 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: George Kaye]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: George Kaye
Hey everybody, Steve came into my store today and I showed him that both the Korg's and the Yamaha's will do exactly what he wants. What Steve wanted to do and both the Korg product support people and the sales guys at Guitar Centers didn't know was to just record a factory styles drum pattern into the keyboards sequencer without all the other style tracks and then be able to record all the other tracks with his own recording. Simple, showed how both the korg and yamaha did it and he is quite happy. Now it's just a matter of him deciding which he like the sounds and features better for him. I really think he will enjoy using the Yamaha better and he liked the piano sounds, etc. more on the Yamaha.

George, I still would think a workstation, not an arranger, would be better suited for that. Plus, the numerous other sounds you can lay down. But as far as using an arranger's drum patterns... NOT a Yamaha arranger. His recordings will NOT sound near as 'live' as other brands. JMO.

#338379 - 02/01/12 07:21 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Steve,
yes BIAB is software. I gather it's not really the way you want to go, but it might be worth 10 minutes of your time just to check out some of the demo's.
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.demos.htm

I luv my arrangers because I enjoy playing them & I enjoy fiddling round with the styles.

On the other hand if all I wanted to do was create backing tracks or record songs, I could have saved myself ( or should I say, saved my husband) $1,000's of dollars on my arranger keyboards in the last 3 or 4 years keyboards.

Prior to the real tracks , I wouldn't have considered BIAB as an alternative, I was never really that happy with their midi styles. Some were good ,some mediocre, some really bad.

Also depends on the genre of music you like, BIAB is big on Jazz,Rock/Pop & Country. They also have midi classical & soundtrack which I enjoy.

Korg PA800 doesn't have a great deal in the way of country, it has some, but members used to complain there wasn't enough.

So really be worthwhile if you are interested in an arranger to not only make sure it has the sequencing functions you require, but that it also has the type of styles you require.

Hi Rikki, I agree with you, Band in the box 2012, with real tracks, has come alive...This version is a 100 percent improvement....I have had it for about a week now..I notice on some computers, it hogs some resources..On my good laptop, it flies...For folks that have glitches with it..I suggest, Go into your PC performance and select "best performance", and not "let windows control"...After I changed this setting..No glitches...I also loaded the PG program onto my internal hard drive, instead of the supplied USB drive..(I think the USB drive causes glitches)..

PG Music is on top of it's game.....foR song writers...you should try it.."Band in the Box"..

#338381 - 02/01/12 07:35 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Yep, 2012 version of BIAB is worth considering.

#338389 - 02/01/12 08:34 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#338391 - 02/01/12 08:49 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

After listening to demo's on BIAB site for 2012 edition, drums sound to me as they always have, flat. Wish they were punchier.

#338392 - 02/01/12 08:51 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

What does BIAB offer the player who plays by ear & doesn't read music to input chord changes?.

#338398 - 02/01/12 09:40 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny,

I have a couple of "Fake Books" and it is very easy to just type the ghords into the bars of BIAB. You can do a different chord on evey beat of the measure if necessary. It has a very nice feature of having the pedal bass playing the 5th note of the root chord on turn-arounds on the 2nd and 4th beats as many a jazz recording uses. I haven't heard an arranger that does this yet, that I know of. and the feature is a click or two away.

It would be great for playing your accordian along with on swing tunes too. It also works great on Dixieland tunes. My improvisation brain kicks in at these turn-around licks by the pedal bass. Man what a grove if you dig the jazz standards. Heck I even do it on the country tunes that I do.

Edited by brickboo (02/01/12 09:43 AM)

#338400 - 02/01/12 10:06 AM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: George Kaye]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: George Kaye
Hey everybody, Steve came into my store today and I showed him that both the Korg's and the Yamaha's will do exactly what he wants. What Steve wanted to do and both the Korg product support people and the sales guys at Guitar Centers didn't know was to just record a factory styles drum pattern into the keyboards sequencer without all the other style tracks and then be able to record all the other tracks with his own recording. Simple, showed how both the korg and yamaha did it and he is quite happy. Now it's just a matter of him deciding which he like the sounds and features better for him. I really think he will enjoy using the Yamaha better and he liked the piano sounds, etc. more on the Yamaha.

Thanks George for taking the time to show me that what I'm trying to do is possible..
Yamaha confirmed this, though they did tell me it's better to get it done on one pass rather than edit later.....

Georges knowledge is second to none.....I was having trouble keeping up with him, but man, he's great.

He turned me on to the A2000 which is black, looks sleek, and sounds great. I just have to get past the left side of the board with the middle eastern buttons I will NEVER use.

He got me ALL excited about the 910, too bad my funds aren't in order yet....I'm only about 20-25 % there. So I got time to think this through. I like the recording of my acoustic Guitar to the 910 George.....

Guys......I'm just looking at an all in one on the keyboard for now....I can add BIAB or similar later. You guys keep steering me there.....that's an easy add later...

For now I want a one stop shop...

#338408 - 02/01/12 12:53 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Steve, it was a pleasure and I know I talk a lot but I really like to share my knowledge with interested folks!
I'm a bit confused by Yamaha's comment "it's better to get it done on one pass rather than edit later....."
I can record each track one at a time a build a complete song or record every one of the 16 tracks at the same time but that wouldn't work well for the ability to multi track different ideas one at a time.
(Retired 2021)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online