SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#338158 - 01/30/12 02:33 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
SEMI-LIVE

Yeah, I was realizing that last night.....WORKSTATION.....

Leaning toward the MOX6....that's my budget for now.....its got 6700 Arpeggiators, so there are a lot of basic drums in there....The sounds I'm sure are more current than the KORG PA 500...,

I will add a drum machine, possibly a BOSS 880 DR later......

I really don't want computer stuff......yet.....I'm guessing BIAB is software that RIKKI is talking about.....

My best songs I'll still record with my session players....I think I've found a winning formula.....

Unfortunately or Fortunately, I'm getting a little bit more "prolific" in my Songwriting so I will DEMO them first myself....the ones that stand out will go to the session players...

I guess it's a good problem......

#338202 - 01/30/12 06:48 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Steve,
yes BIAB is software. I gather it's not really the way you want to go, but it might be worth 10 minutes of your time just to check out some of the demo's.
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.demos.htm

I luv my arrangers because I enjoy playing them & I enjoy fiddling round with the styles.

On the other hand if all I wanted to do was create backing tracks or record songs, I could have saved myself ( or should I say, saved my husband) $1,000's of dollars on my arranger keyboards in the last 3 or 4 years keyboards.

Prior to the real tracks , I wouldn't have considered BIAB as an alternative, I was never really that happy with their midi styles. Some were good ,some mediocre, some really bad.

Also depends on the genre of music you like, BIAB is big on Jazz,Rock/Pop & Country. They also have midi classical & soundtrack which I enjoy.

Korg PA800 doesn't have a great deal in the way of country, it has some, but members used to complain there wasn't enough.

So really be worthwhile if you are interested in an arranger to not only make sure it has the sequencing functions you require, but that it also has the type of styles you require.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338203 - 01/30/12 06:51 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

Rikki does the pa3x have more country styles then the pa800 had?

#338219 - 01/30/12 08:22 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm not Rikki, but I can answer that. YES it does. It has some really good ones, plus many of the styles in the Unplugged bank are conducive to playing Country.
It has a really good Country Waltz, and a couple more Waltzes that are great for Country. It has some great Country Ballads that feature a crying pedal steel and a number of modern uptempo 4/4 and shoddish-type Country beats.
It's a little weak in the Country Shuffle category, but I found a couple that work and was also able to change sounds and kits to Country-fy a couple of Swing beats, in addition to loading a few styles I found on the World Wide Web.
Having said all this, nothin' does Country like Ketron.
Some day, after I win the lottery, I will develop an arranger that is the best of all worlds, with the good stuff from Yamaha, Ketron, Roland, Korg plus the stuff they forgot to remember. No one will be able to afford to buy one, but at least I'll have one and I will let ya'll listen.
DonM

#338220 - 01/30/12 08:24 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny,
I'm not a country style user, just what some of the owners used to complain about, not enough country on the PA800.
I've started compiling my list though, the new styles are
Easy Country
Country Blues
Slow Country
West Coast
Country Hit
Finger Pickin

Country 8 Beat is not 100% identical to Pa800
& they've dropped Country Shuffle 2

There's now 21 compared to the original 16.

The ones they've added are different ie they haven't just added a 2nd waltz or a 3rd ballad.

I did a bit of a comparison thru the same amp between my pa3x & pa800, overall the styles just sounded better balanced or something.

There's also 6 new unplugged styles.

Unplugged Heaven, (titles a bit of a give away.)
Acoustic Rock
Sally Groove (wonder if that's the one Don was referring to for mustang?)
Unplugged Reggae
Unplugged Ballad4
Easy Strumming

Quite a few new rock styles & they've dropped some.
New Pop, plus they've dropped a few
Ballroom pretty much the same ( 12/8 new), they've drop a few,
& altered some

Quite a few new latin styles & they've dropped quite a few also.

A few ne Jazz styles, again they've dropped some & changed some.

Couple of new soul styles.

They've added some Mexican Styles
Dropped a lot of the Schlagers , Polka's & Waltzes in short the european styles. Pa3X still has some , but they're new ones.

So Donny,
if you're thinking about a PA3X ( haahaa) I'm doing a full list.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338222 - 01/30/12 08:32 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
DonM Offline

Rikki, Sally Groove is for Lay Down Sally (Eric Clapton, Don Williams), not Mustang Sally.
I'd love to have the Styles that were on the 800 that they left off, just to see if they are useful.
There is also a style called Zydeco that is perfect for Don't Mess With My Toot-toot, and other Cajun songs.
DonM

#338230 - 01/30/12 09:08 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Don,
whoops,thanx, OBVIOUS I don't play Rock or Country . haahaa
Much shorter list of what I do use, than what I don't.

There are actually a number of styles missing. Some I think they may have only recorded some new intro's/endings for, so I'd include those.

Country regrettably there's only one that they dropped . Shuffle 2. It's the one that Pete mentioned to you that would be handy for a particular song you mentioned over at the korg forums a while back.
I'll send you country 8 beat also, may just have a new intro /ending, I'll have to check.
I compiled this rough list about 6 months ago , so I really need to do a proper comparison and listen to both styles again. The ones I wrote down as NEW are definately New, but I did a heap of "Not The Same" which could mean they may just have one or more new intro's & endings, and the actual variations are identical to pa3x.
I've found a few like that, so what I've done is just copy the old pa800 intro/ending to the actual pa3x style. Means one has the 4 fills rather than the 2.

I'll send you some as soon as I can.
Originally Posted By: DonM
Rikki, Sally Groove is for Lay Down Sally (Eric Clapton, Don Williams), not Mustang Sally.
I'd love to have the Styles that were on the 800 that they left off, just to see if they are useful.
There is also a style called Zydeco that is perfect for Don't Mess With My Toot-toot, and other Cajun songs.
DonM

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338243 - 01/30/12 10:51 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Don,

I'm no judge on country styles, don't really use them, though I must admit I have taken a liking to Bluegrass BIAB styles, though wouldn't have a clue what songs to use them with. haahaa
I'll get that country shuffle 2 from the PA800 , to you asap, just in case it might be of some use to you.
Got any favourite Ketron Country styles? i'll start a new thread, we've hijacked poor Steve's long enough.
Originally Posted By: DonM
I'm not Rikki, but I can answer that. YES it does. It has some really good ones, plus many of the styles in the Unplugged bank are conducive to playing Country.
It has a really good Country Waltz, and a couple more Waltzes that are great for Country. It has some great Country Ballads that feature a crying pedal steel and a number of modern uptempo 4/4 and shoddish-type Country beats.
It's a little weak in the Country Shuffle category, but I found a couple that work and was also able to change sounds and kits to Country-fy a couple of Swing beats, in addition to loading a few styles I found on the World Wide Web.
Having said all this, nothin' does Country like Ketron.
Some day, after I win the lottery, I will develop an arranger that is the best of all worlds, with the good stuff from Yamaha, Ketron, Roland, Korg plus the stuff they forgot to remember. No one will be able to afford to buy one, but at least I'll have one and I will let ya'll listen.
DonM

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338246 - 01/30/12 11:25 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
DonM Offline

Thanks Rikki!!!! You are great!
DonM

#338354 - 01/31/12 10:41 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Hey everybody, Steve came into my store today and I showed him that both the Korg's and the Yamaha's will do exactly what he wants. What Steve wanted to do and both the Korg product support people and the sales guys at Guitar Centers didn't know was to just record a factory styles drum pattern into the keyboards sequencer without all the other style tracks and then be able to record all the other tracks with his own recording. Simple, showed how both the korg and yamaha did it and he is quite happy. Now it's just a matter of him deciding which he like the sounds and features better for him. I really think he will enjoy using the Yamaha better and he liked the piano sounds, etc. more on the Yamaha.
(Retired 2021)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online