SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#338006 - 01/29/12 06:58 PM Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes?
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys I'm a Singer/Songwriter who needs/wants an Arranger to sequence Original tunes only.

I was leaning toward the KORG PA 500, but the guy at KORG said what I want below isn't possible with that machine. The Yamaha PSR S710 interests me, but the manual doesnt really sound like the sequencer is all that much.

1. I want an Arranger because it has Drum patterns (styles) ready to go. I want to use the styles/drums like a drum machine. I like the fill buttons/intros/endings.

2. Can I use drum patterns already existing on machine to track initial song length like a drum machine? Am I able to edit drums extensively after initial tracking....

3. the Sequencer must have auto-punch & step editing

Also if I sequence with auto-accompaniment on, can I later go back and re-record say for example the BASS ? And still keep, say the electric Guitar?

My plan is to go with a PAY AS YOU PLAY Internet order....So does the KORG PA 500, Yamaha s710 PSR, or Roland GW-8 work? That's the top of my budget.

The Yamaha MOX6 seems like it would be great, but I really, really want fills I can use readily.

Please, I want an Onboard Sequencer only. (Roland BK-5 would've been nice) I want to also use live with me playing keys or play sequencer while I play Acoustic Guitar.

The reason I don't go workstation is I really, really want fills Onboard my keyboard. If I go workstation I will have to buy a drum machine.......

Thanks for any help

Edited by Steve A (01/29/12 07:04 PM)

#338009 - 01/29/12 08:10 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Steve,
have you possibly considered another option like Band in a Box for accompaniment ?
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm

unless of course you really want to play a realtime arranger.

Band in a Box has styles. Midi & Audio.
Type in chord progression it does a backing track for you.
If you want to do further editing , it comes with a pc sequencer called Real Band. Load in the song you've created in BIAB, change your bass, drums, piano whatever. The styles used in
Band in a Box are also used in Real Band.

For instance, just say you've got your song recorded, but you decide you don't quite like the bass line, you can literally
regenerate the bass line with the bass from another style, you can redo the whole track or just a few bars, or you could manually edit the track.

You could use any keyboard you like with it, arranger or synth, or controller. For the audio tracks you'd need a reasonably good pc or laptop. If you don't have a soundsource you could use a softsynth that comes with it.

If the korg won't do what you want, the yammie is probably even less likely.

Edited by rikkisbears (01/29/12 08:15 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338010 - 01/29/12 08:18 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Steve.. I think for an arranger with extensive sequencing and editing capabilities, the Roland G-70/E-80(used one) or the Korg Pa3X/Pa2X Pro(used) could be considered. Both of these arrangers have microscopic editing possible.I haven`t used either of these but have heard users mention the flexibility in editing available for these arrangers. In all arrangers you mentioned, there are fills. In addition there are dedicated pad buttons and you could assign a custom fill(drum roll etc.)to each of these pads and moreover I think that these can also be triggered through foot pedals(not sure on this though)connected to the keyboard... so really no need to take your hands of the guitar.

Moreover, you could even consider using a combination of an arranger keyboard and a computer based Digital Audio Workstation(DAW) software. That would mean a lot of flexibility at a good price but then a lot of work with eyes staring at the screen and carrying that laptop wherever you gig wink

I am just a hobbyist musician.. I`m sure many experts here could guide you on exactly what you`re looking for.
Good Luck.

Auron Music

#338011 - 01/29/12 08:20 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
Steve A Offline

Rikki

Kinda looking for a all in one solution. I like everything right in front of me, and able to use in live settings as well......I

Let me ask you this: Your PA 800 is the Big Brother of the PA 500, will it do what I'm asking?

I'm hoping the guy at KORG is wrong.......maybe he misunderstood my needs

#338012 - 01/29/12 08:24 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: rikkisbears]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Correct, Rikki...the Korg sequencer, on the PA-800/PA3x, is far more editable than what is on Yamaha arrangers.

Ian

#338013 - 01/29/12 08:28 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: ianmcnll]
Steve A Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Correct, Rikki...the Korg sequencer, on the PA-800/PA3x, is far more editable than what is on Yamaha arrangers.

Ian

That's what it looked like in the manual......

I really need KORG PA 500 owners to chime in on this one......My Budget is a touch over $1000......enough for the PA 500

#338015 - 01/29/12 08:52 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Steve A

I really need KORG PA 500 owners to chime in on this one......My Budget is a touch over $1000......enough for the PA 500

One of SZ's members, FransN has a PA-500...he may be able to enlighten you on it's sequencer capabilities.

From what I understand, the PA-500 has basically the same sequencer as the more expensive models.

I wonder if the microArranger has the same caliber of sequencer?

Rikki's suggestion of Band-In-A-Box is also a good one.

Ian

#338016 - 01/29/12 09:03 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Steve,
if the PA500 has the same functions as the PA800, he is WRONG. The Korgs are all but a workstation.

I can only comment on the PA800.

Basically it has 3 Sequencer record modes.
Step record, you type in your chord progression, put in fills variations etc. After you save it you can go to the multitrack sequencer section & event list edit any notes you may want to change, you could record additional tracks , change whatever data you want.

2nd sequencer mode is Quick Record, just press recor and you play your song in realtime. After you finish, you can do all the editing as per abover.

3rd sequencer mode is Multitrack Recording where you literally record each track individually.

The editing functions on the korg are extensive.

Sometimes it might actually be quicker to do an alteration to the actual style ie drum track may not be quite what you want , change it, save it.
Basically you could do an easy record of your song, go back and do an event list edit, to change any notes.

The are some differences between the PA500/PA800, what exactly you should be able to find on their website.
One that springs to mind is I don't think the pa500 has a sampler. It's more than likely the sequencer functions are the same. I suggest you download the manuals.

http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa500_comp.html?en

and korg has a user forum that's certainly worth joining.

Been a bit more quiet lately, a lot of the regulars have sort of dissapeared into the woodwork.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50&sid=96f6c6121ee189249dbaaf97efed7cc7

Anyway, read the manual, you don't have to read the whole thing , just the sequencer section for starters.

I don't really use the sequencer much, but if you ever want any help with style editing, I should be able to help.
Originally Posted By: Steve A
Hi guys I'm a Singer/Songwriter who needs/wants an Arranger to sequence Original tunes only.

I was leaning toward the KORG PA 500, but the guy at KORG said what I want below isn't possible with that machine. The Yamaha PSR S710 interests me, but the manual doesnt really sound like the sequencer is all that much.

1. I want an Arranger because it has Drum patterns (styles) ready to go. I want to use the styles/drums like a drum machine. I like the fill buttons/intros/endings.

2. Can I use drum patterns already existing on machine to track initial song length like a drum machine? Am I able to edit drums extensively after initial tracking....

3. the Sequencer must have auto-punch & step editing

Also if I sequence with auto-accompaniment on, can I later go back and re-record say for example the BASS ? And still keep, say the electric Guitar?

My plan is to go with a PAY AS YOU PLAY Internet order....So does the KORG PA 500, Yamaha s710 PSR, or Roland GW-8 work? That's the top of my budget.

The Yamaha MOX6 seems like it would be great, but I really, really want fills I can use readily.

Please, I want an Onboard Sequencer only. (Roland BK-5 would've been nice) I want to also use live with me playing keys or play sequencer while I play Acoustic Guitar.

The reason I don't go workstation is I really, really want fills Onboard my keyboard. If I go workstation I will have to buy a drum machine.......

Thanks for any help

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#338017 - 01/29/12 09:05 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: Steve A]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Steve,

I went through this nightmare 10 years ago when I started back wanting to gig after a 23 or so year absence. I played tenor sax, so I wanted to sequence backing tracks to play along with.

I do not know about today, but back then I did not get much help here on the forum with the sequencing problem. Most everyone did live performance and did not seem very interested in sequencing.

At that time I made an email friend with a person from Australia who understood my problem. He told me about a keyboard that would allow punch in and all the features you would need to sequence without pulling your hair out.

At the time if you wanted to sequence 15 or 20 choruses you had to sequence the 20 choruses with Yamaha and other arrangers is the info that I received. I do not know about today‘s arrangers. Try sequencing 10 choruses with out making any mistakes. No one is perfect. The other arrangers at that time did not seem to have punch in, nor copy and paste features and such.

I sequenced the first 8, 12, or 16 bars (however the song was structured) and copy and paste them for the next 8, 12, 16 bars etc. Then I would just have to punch in and sequence the turn around for the bridge because it is usually different from the first turn around after the first 8 or so bars, right?

Next, I would sequence the bridge. Then to finish the first chorus all I needed to do was copy the first 8 or so bars and it works fine with the same turn around to get to another chorus. Then all I needed to do was copy the whole song and paste it for as many choruses as I wanted.

After learning the system and doing about 4 or 5 tunes it became much easier. If I were trying to sequence a tune and every time I made a mistake I had to start over, I would still be trying to sequence the same first tune.

Maybe today there are members that use a sequencer on their arranger and they have these features. However, a few years back the arrangers were still years behind my arranger for sequencing.

My friend from Australia told me he bought a PA1X (or whatever) when they came out, and he said that he missed the sequencer on the i30. He said the i30 was still way ahead of the other arrangers for sequencing and he could not understand why Korg abandoned their sequencer from the i30.

I do not sequence anymore because I play the arranger and do vocals. The sax takes too much practice just to keep the chops in shape. I do not gig very much and I find it easier to work with the arranger and do vocals. I still get many compliments using my “DINOASAUR” Korg i30. Some of the guys here still probably laugh at this but I do not have to gig for them. Ha! Ha! The folks I play for enjoy me.
Boo

#338020 - 01/29/12 09:15 PM Re: Help: Arranger Sequencers for Original Tunes? [Re: ianmcnll]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ian,
talking off the top of my head, I'd be surprised if the micro had the extenstive editing functions of the pa500/pa800, but who knows. Personally I'd sooner have the pa500, the newer styles are better.
The micro serves a function inexpensive & lightweight take anywhere, great korg starter.

Ian, when are you going to check out BIAB again, gee it's come a long way since the old midi days, though I gather you're an arranger player, thru & thru. haahaa

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

I wonder if the microArranger has the same caliber of sequencer?

Rikki's suggestion of Band-In-A-Box is also a good one.

Ian

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online