SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#337247 - 01/24/12 07:53 AM Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS
Dnj Offline

Its really nice to have all these great KORG instructional demo videos to show you how to do so many things with the Kronos...
Creating really good songs seems very straight forward.

Edited by Dnj (01/24/12 07:55 AM)

#337251 - 01/24/12 08:24 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nice rig, but you can't beat a PA3X or Tyros4 for just sitting down and having a nice play, with no fuss nor muss.

Of course, that's why we buy arrangers.

Ian

#337253 - 01/24/12 08:27 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Nice rig, but you can't beat a PA3X or Tyros4 for just sitting down and having a nice play, with no fuss nor muss.

Ian

T4,Pa3x, KMA arrangers don't come close to the creative depth of what you can do with the KRONOS Workstation vs playing an automated style based unit. I miss my old Korg M1 synth I used to sequence all my songs to perform on stage & play on top of.....its nice to be able to really make the song your own Track By Track..using custom bass lines, drum beats, etc, etc,..heres an old pic with my KORG M1 from the early 80's I was a KORG man for a long time...

Attachments
download.jpg

Edited by Dnj (01/24/12 08:51 AM)

#337254 - 01/24/12 08:37 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Most of us who just love to play, don't require that much creative depth in the instrument.

We rely on creative playing.

Practice every day...you'll never regret it.

Ian

PS...Personally I find "workstations" too much "work"...I guess that's how they got their name...they are boring to me.

Tyros4 (and others) are "Playstations"(too bad Sony copped that word)...no boredom involved.

#337256 - 01/24/12 08:50 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Creating & Playing music is NEVER boring to me, repetitious styles bore me to death a real band would never play the same thing over & over again, its always nice to get the creative juices flowing and play off each other which can be done when you sequence yourself ... at least some of Korg styles have a nice 16 bar loop making playing interesting especially the bass lines...

#337257 - 01/24/12 08:52 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

And...seriously Donny, would you buy one of these workstation instruments, and, if so, what would you use it for?

All you could do is have it play back SMF and you could either sing along (or play along) with it (it won't play styles).

You can do that now with the Yamaha S910 and/or the teeny weeny microArranger.

Unless, you are into song writing and composition...and even then, an arranger (hence the name) would be far faster, easier and perhaps even fun.

You do remember playing for fun, don't you? wink

Ian

PS..of course we all realize we aren't playing with a real band, but a real band won't rehearse when you want to, nor will they always agree on the type of music...and that's not even touching on the drinking, drugging and bad attitudes.

#337258 - 01/24/12 08:59 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

And, don't forget...the S910 and the microArranger have built in sequencers....just like a workstation!

Ian

#337259 - 01/24/12 09:01 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Ian there ARE other ways to make music besides with an arranger...
the two camps will never get along Synth VS Arranger that is a fact anyone can see just by going to any music store and looking around or talking to PRO players, seeing that manufacturers are making THREE key models 61, 76, 88....arranger KB?..what's that? lol... great music can be created on both types.....having both in your arsenal is a good idea also to cover all bases. Today's music is not arranger based for the most part at all, but there is room for both out in the gigging world. Workstations are here to stay for sure.....embrace it all I say.

l8tr.... gotta early gig today..

#337263 - 01/24/12 09:33 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

God Donny you look like Don King when you were younger!!!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#337264 - 01/24/12 09:34 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Ian

T4,Pa3x, KMA arrangers don't come close to the creative depth of what you can do with the KRONOS Workstation vs playing an automated style based unit. I miss my old Korg M1 synth I used to sequence all my songs to perform on stage & play on top of.....its nice to be able to really make the song your own Track By Track..using custom bass lines, drum beats, etc, etc,..heres an old pic with my KORG M1 from the early 80's I was a KORG man for a long time...

God Donny you look like Don King when you were younger!!!

Tony....hahahah Bad hair day for sure!!..

#337266 - 01/24/12 10:07 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: ianmcnll]
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA

Ian

Agree 100 %...WorkStation are not my thing. Arrangers 100 %.

#337271 - 01/24/12 10:44 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
As one who owns both a Tyros 3 and a Motif XF I can tell you that workstations do add value. Now I don't gig but rather compose and record my own music so my needs are different. What I found was that the Tyros and other Arrangers have a much different sound than workstations and are not oriented as much as I would like to more modern backing and arrangements. While there are hundreds, even thousands of Styles available there were only a small number that suited my needs. And in my experience creating Performances on the Motif with it's intelligent arpeggios was far easier than creating a style. Where the Tyros excelled was in the sound of specific acoustic instruments and I can easily use those with the Motif although I found that workstations IMHO have much better Piano voices.

Even if you gig or just play a Motif or a Kronos it can open up a whole new world of sound. Is there a lot to learn about how to use them? Yes. But once you have it's great fun and the combinations of sounds and accompaniments are endless.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337274 - 01/24/12 11:15 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

If I was gigging in a band, I'd probably use a workstation, perhaps a Motif or Kronos.

But, for my own home entertainment, and some personal single man gigs, the arranger (the Tyros4) is my first pick.

I just like playing more than tinkering or tweaking.

Ian

#337275 - 01/24/12 11:29 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Ian:

Actually the tinkering or tweaking on a Motif, while different than Tyros, is no more difficult. Once you understand how Motif works it's as easy as modifying Style Parts only with a lot more capability and possibilities.

Joe
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#337279 - 01/24/12 12:14 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i have actually spent 30 minutes with a kronos in my local music store in birmingham. I was not impressed. the text on screen is unusable in a live set as you can barely read the text its so small. You would need pin point accuracy to select sounds and in a dmmed light setting like a concert or show i would be very concerned about changing sounds in a hurry.

Even in the instructional clip in this post you can see how carefully steve Mcnally is having to select sounds and functions using the screen. I can only guess at how many takes it took to get this short clip done. The Kronos is a nice concept but its execution was not well thought out but maybe a software upfdate can correct that . In any case it has no functions that i dont already have in my PA1X arranger workstation. Karma is not that intersting i reality either. We have discused this before. If anyone took the time to dig into their arranger they would see that the skills required to compose music on a workstation in sequencer mode are exactly the same when used on the sequencer in an arranger.

I have posted these examples before but its worth revisiting as i like to back up my points with personal experience when i can .

here is a song i sequenced from beginning to end on my arranger without using the aranger function at all. Every instrument was programmed by me and every sound tweaked by me. I inserted the effects reverb, phaser on the piano etc just like i would on my brothers Moytif XS .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluPIFtAM48

#337282 - 01/24/12 12:28 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

I don't see Jorden Rudess using a Tyros 4 arranger of any kind anytime soon. Why is every so DOWN on such a fantastic instrument...it might not be for your needs but to knock its vast deep capabilities is baffling..

Edited by Dnj (01/24/12 12:40 PM)

#337285 - 01/24/12 01:15 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I don't see Jorden Rudess using a Tyros 4 arranger of any kind anytime soon.
Why is every so DOWN on such a fantastic instrument...it might not be for your needs but to knock its vast deep capabilities is baffling

You won't see many of us arranger players using a workstation either...at least not on a gig...for instance, you don't use one, Donny! grin

Why don't you use one?

Nobody is "down" on the instrument...but, remember, this is an arranger forum.

I'm sure the Kronos, Motif and their ilk, are being discussed at great length on their respective workstation forums.

Ian

#337289 - 01/24/12 01:31 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I have seen many arranger kb acts using a synth for the great sounds... combined with some kind of arranger for styles. Some players like this combination, best of both worlds. And now that you can trigger arps with chords on many workstations makes it like a suedo arranger of sorts also. It's all good music I say.

#337291 - 01/24/12 01:34 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Donny,

If it is such a good combination, why don't you use a synth/workstation like the Kronos (or Motif) with your setup?

Ian

#337295 - 01/24/12 02:00 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Myself and Nedim both have the Kronos. I use the Kronos on Stage for weddings.

It is a breathtaking instrument, and I can do rudimentary arranging playing using both the Drums, Combinations, with/without Karma. Karma gives the Kronos lots of randomness you won't find in an arranger.

Go over to Korg or Karma-Labs and check it out.

It complements the Tyros 4 perfectly.

Edited by kbrkr (01/24/12 02:01 PM)

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#337296 - 01/24/12 02:12 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Al...I guess I'm a holdout to the do-it-all with one keyboard crowd.

I like to take the minimum if possible, and with the Tyros4, that isn't any kind of a penalty.

I'll check out the site...thanks again.

Ian

#337297 - 01/24/12 02:14 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: kbrkr]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr

It is a breathtaking instrument, and I can do rudimentary arranging playing using both the Drums, Combinations, with/without Karma. Karma gives the Kronos lots of randomness you won't find in an arranger.

Thanx for the info AL...I'll check that out asap.
I'd love to hear a few Kronos Karma/T4 mixed demos..
What is the learning curve on the Kronos like?

#337299 - 01/24/12 02:33 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

We used an original Korg Karma keyboard on a few tracks in the studio (making an advertisement), not that many years ago, and it was a pretty cool instrument.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/karma.php

I can see the possibilties, but I'm not sure I'd use it out playing.

The Wavestation was another cool Korg synth my buddy had in his studio (since sold the instrument)...have you ever tried one, Al?

Ian

PS...Donny should be using a Kronos with his microArranger...that would be a nice combination...and still nice and compact.

#337300 - 01/24/12 03:12 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Al...Kronos is made in Japan?

Ian

#337318 - 01/24/12 06:16 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
kbrkr Offline

Thanx for the info AL...I'll check that out asap.
I'd love to hear a few Kronos Karma/T4 mixed demos..
What is the learning curve on the Kronos like?

The Kronos is a pretty deep instrument. You probably know that Korg builds a lot of customization and configuration/programming into most of their keyboards. This one is really challenging me; I'm not 20 yo Whiz kid anymore, so it's a challenge. Most of the simple stuff is easy, but once you get into programming Karma and complex techniques.

Programming a simple song is pretty straight foward. It took me 3 months to move my custom combinations from the Yamaha Motif to the Kronos for songs like Tik Tok (Ke$ha), Just Dance (Lady Gaga), etc.

#337320 - 01/24/12 06:21 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: ianmcnll]
kbrkr Offline

Ian

I think so, Ian. I don't believe it was impacted by the Tsunami and their have been build issues with the unit, but sonically it's a monster.

#337321 - 01/24/12 06:24 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

What I like about KORG is they always are updating their units like Kronos, Karma, etc,....and have many instructional videos also, & worldwide, support via forums, BBS, Websites, etc, etc. .. ....

#337323 - 01/24/12 06:40 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: kbrkr]
ianmcnll Offline

Ian

I think so, Ian. I don't believe it was impacted by the Tsunami and their have been build issues with the unit, but sonically it's a monster.

Yes, I believe it is, Al, if what I've read about it so far is correct...unlike their Italian built arrangers.

Your kit is in fine fettle now, with two Japanese built instruments, as the Tyros4 is also made in Japan.

Can't beat Japanese quality.

The Karma engine is awesome for intricate, and evolving backgrounds, that unlike styles, never seem to repeat too much.

The rest of the sounds and features are definitely top notch; Tony Hughes and I were talking about the Kronos the other day on Skype.

I probably would never gig with it, but I'd have one in a heartbeat if the budget would allow it...certainly one beautifully designed and incredible sounding instrument.

Ian

#337346 - 01/24/12 09:00 PM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Dnj]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Donny, I agree with you. This is an absolutely amazing instrument. I have been fascinated by the whole concept since I first heard of it several months ago. I'd love to get my hands on one. My concerns are these. It would have to be a creative, fantasy instrument for me. I could use it out once in awhile for the right wedding. For my playing needs for that kind of instrument, I would need at least the 76 note model or the 88 key version. The 61 would not be enough for that kind of playing and those upper two units are expensive. I can't imagine using it on a job unless I was 20 years younger. And I already have my fantasy keyboard, my Yamaha C3 6 foot grand piano. This satisfies a lot of creative outlets. I already have one piano CD out and I recorded a new one in Seattle in the fall which I will be releasing in the spring. However, I must say, in a perfect world, I'd have an 88 key version of the Kronos in my studio. Who knows what might happen?

Joe

Yamaha Tyros 1, S 900, Roland RD 700, Yamaha C3

#337369 - 01/25/12 04:31 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Songman55]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Songman55
Donny, I agree with you. This is an absolutely amazing instrument. I have been fascinated by the whole concept since I first heard of it several months ago. I'd love to get my hands on one. My concerns are these. It would have to be a creative, fantasy instrument for me. I could use it out once in awhile for the right wedding. For my playing needs for that kind of instrument, I would need at least the 76 note model or the 88 key version. The 61 would not be enough for that kind of playing and those upper two units are expensive. I can't imagine using it on a job unless I was 20 years younger. And I already have my fantasy keyboard, my Yamaha C3 6 foot grand piano. This satisfies a lot of creative outlets. I already have one piano CD out and I recorded a new one in Seattle in the fall which I will be releasing in the spring. However, I must say, in a perfect world, I'd have an 88 key version of the Kronos in my studio. Who knows what might happen?

Joe

Joe good luck with your newest CD release.....I agree with you also....you could surly create some fantastic backing tracks also for your vocals .....and use something else to play over & sing on gigs... you will certainly have excellent sounds using the KRONOS as a foundation. With your chops Joe I know you cold definitely make musical magic.. keys

#337382 - 01/25/12 08:18 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: Songman55]
kbrkr Offline

Originally Posted By: Songman55

Joe

Joe,

I'm sooooo green with envy you have the Yamaha C3. What a gorgeous instrument inside and out. I always felt my playing skills could not warrant a purchase like that. Maybe I'd be a better player if I had one! hmmmm.

It's funny the choices we make.

#337385 - 01/25/12 09:08 AM Re: Easy Song Creation Demo on KORG KRONOS [Re: kbrkr]
Dnj Offline

Joe love your new website ....will you adding demos, videos, gig pics, etc, also?..good luck with it.

Joe Ayala

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online