SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#337169 - 01/23/12 09:59 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

Soooo.... is that why everyone depressed me from trading for the "older model" PA1x ? I could make that or any unit sound awesome with no problem.... so the older/newer argument doesn't hold water, but aside from the keyboard itself the navigational features are so important to EACH player & how they operate a unit.
in fact my offer still stands if anyone is interested. If I get one I'll gladly post some demos also. Like my Dad always told me at the dinner table as a kid in Italian if there was something served I didn't want to eat,...
"provare una volta se non ti piace non dovete mangiare di nuovo" ....(try it once if you don't like it you don't have to eat it again) Have a nice day. wink cool2

Edited by Dnj (01/23/12 10:03 AM)

#337171 - 01/23/12 10:36 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By: Stein67

I was very tempted last night to go for a preowned Tyros4 but still felt that paying approx £2300 was a bit too much for my prospective usage at the minute.....although I do have a few regrets this morning.

I've been playing keyboards a LOOOONG time. I am NOT a Fanboy of any particular manufacturer. I will say the T4 is one of the most musically fulfilling keyboards I have ever owned; that includes the Audya, Pa2xpro, etc.. The style and Custom Voice offerings from Yamaha really are something special and gives the keyboard life from the humdrum.

I play wedding cocktail hours (along with ceremonies) with the Tyros 4 and people have actually started dancing to my Big Band numbers during the set!!! I've personally never seen that before. I'm even getting tips (which I normally refuse during cocktail hour). It really is a special keyboard. No, it does not have the Live groove feeling of the Audya, but it doesn't come with all the negative baggage the Audya comes with either.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#337173 - 01/23/12 11:09 AM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
124 Offline

So, can all you Yamaha types venture forth on what features, improvements, dreams, etc. you hope to see in this new S950?

#337178 - 01/23/12 12:03 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj

I could make that or any unit sound awesome with no problem.... so the older/newer argument doesn't hold water, but aside from the keyboard itself the navigational features are so important to EACH player & how they operate a unit.

Since you can make any arranger sound "awesome", why not that old long-in-the tooth PSR-S910...it's been hangin' around your kit for quite awhile?

A few off the cuff demos like you did on the KMA (thanks Tony) would be a nice treat for us seniors... wink

Plus, ain't it strange that no one else with the microArranger has posted any demos?

I'm sure you aren't the only one who can handle those tiny keys and can make great music on it...or are you? cool2

Ian

PS...we put you off the PA1X because, no matter how good you can play, you'd be too tired to press a key after lugging that monstrosity around, no matter how good it sounds. grin

#337179 - 01/23/12 12:12 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
So, can all you Yamaha types venture forth on what features, improvements, dreams, etc. you hope to see in this new S950?

I can't say much about the new S-series, 124, except that it will no doubt have a new feature that is not found on the Tyros4.

I don't have a clue what it can be...on the S910 it was MP3 playback, on the S900 it was audio to USB record, on the PSR-3000 it was USB to device storage...each corresponding Tyros was without, and the next model had the new feature.

My guess...there might be the addition of more SA sounds, several SA2 voices, and perhaps the Tyros4's new VH-2 Vocal Harmony?

I'm sure there will be more.

Ian

#337190 - 01/23/12 01:27 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

It's fun to buy and try I am fortunate that I can do that most times ....I love doing that thru the years after all its just a keyboard. They come & go as do all electronic devices...always think back just a few short years ago as to what we had in gear versus what is available today...
pretty amazing huh? I will always listen to opinions but I will always make the final one in the end no matter what. Playing music for people professionally for a living is a divine gift & I intend to explore things that can make it better & share my talent now & in the future.

Also Ian I'm very sure anyone with a KMA can offer demos also & play it with no problems at all....if they choose to do so that's their prerogative, I always enjoy listening & absorb from everyone...but if not so be it.

Edited by Dnj (01/23/12 01:27 PM)

#337199 - 01/23/12 02:35 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, I have given that much thought – my opinion: you are so right. I think I buy because of boredom most of the time.

The Kn7 or the S900 was all I needed to do a good job, but it is hard to put off the excitement of a new keyboard/toy.
Ask Donny. (oops)

John C.

#337201 - 01/23/12 03:08 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Playing music for people professionally for a living is a divine gift & I intend to explore things that can make it better & share my talent now & in the future.
Also Ian I'm very sure anyone with a KMA can offer demos also & play it with no problems at all....if they choose to do so that's their prerogative, I always enjoy listening & absorb from everyone...but if not so be it.

I can't say mine was a divine gift Donny...my uncle used to say I "played like I had the devil in me"...

I was hoping we could hear the microArranger played by a different set of fingers, as Fran has one, and he does instrumental music, but, there's certainly no pressure, as your demos would probably be too hard to better in any case.

If the new S-series has what you want, no harm in going for it, as I always say, anything that's going to make my playing better, I'm going to be interested...but, as I've stated before, the Tyros4 is more than enough for me.

Happy playing,

Ian

PS...no gig today/tonight?

#337203 - 01/23/12 03:23 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Playing music for people professionally for a living is a divine gift & I intend to explore things that can make it better & share my talent now & in the future.

I can't say mine was a divine gift Donny...my uncle used to say I "played like I had the devil in me"...

I was hoping we could hear the microArranger played by a different set of fingers, as Fran has one, and he does instrumental music, but, there's certainly no pressure, as your demos would probably be too hard to better in any case.

If the new S-series has what you want, no harm in going for it, as I always say, anything that's going to make my playing better, I'm going to be interested...but, as I've stated before, the Tyros4 is more than enough for me.

Happy playing,

Ian

PS...no gig today/tonight?

As a demonstrator for Yamaha I would assume you would have to have to upgrade to the latest T5, S950, etc to demo to clients....?
I would also have to say that I make the keyboard sound good not the other way around when playing..demos really don't mean a thing, but happiness does..

#337204 - 01/23/12 03:30 PM Re: Confused - what now? [Re: Stein67]
ianmcnll Offline

No, Donny, I don't have to upgrade for my personal use...I'm pretty sure the Tyros4 will be all that I'll need.

I am also fortunate to receive the latest arrangers from Yamaha to facilitate my demoing and/or clinics on those instruments...I never use these instruments for personal playing jobs, without permission at least, especially if it is something really new and not for public view.

For my own gigs, it will be Tyros4...for Yamaha's jobs, it will be their most current model(s).

I'm also working (how appropriate) on the latest Yamaha workstations.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online