SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#33668 - 07/08/08 03:39 AM midi latency Midjay
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey!
I found a annoying latency when using Midjay in MIDI Mode 1 or 2 thru a laptop sequencer soft..Cakewalk BTW. So to recall non-latency I have to recheck midi devices list in the seq soft or simply restart the soft.
I have ver.4 in Midjay.I ve tried all kind of seq softs ...same situation.It.s looking like a bug in Midjay OS that makes USB midiinterface almost unusuable.
Anyone else face this? any solutions?
Vio

#33669 - 07/08/08 09:07 AM Re: midi latency Midjay
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
I would suspect something in the OS setup that is interrupting the USB MIDI connect more than I would the Midjay.

Check your IRQ table for sharing (NOT the same as Microsoft reporting "OK" but it is always good to make sure that the USB is not sharing with something of high bandwidth like vid card or networking, etc.). Sometimes use of a USB hub or USB peripheral card can work around such issues, too.

Antivirus softwares can sometimes interrupt MIDI data stream or make it late, too.

Also, be certain that the Midjay itself is what you are hearing, I'm thinking about a fellow who was actually listening to the Microsoft Software Synth, mistakenly believing he was hearing his hardware unit...

The Microsoft Midi Mapper should never be chosen in the host software either, for that can reroute to the software synth, too.

The Midjay is a hardware synth and as such, there is Zero latency involved. If you have a controller such as a keyboard, try hooking it directly to the Midjay using a standard MIDI cable from controller MIDI Out to Midjay MIDI In and play it directly to proof that.

There really is no way that the Midjay itself can introduce latency, as soon as it receives a MIDI Note-On command, it will respond to it. So there must be something in the puter interrupting or slowing down the MIDI output stream.

Trobleshoot by isolation, one thing at a time, if what you try doesn't change anything, switch it back before moving on to trying something else so as not to compound other issues as you go.

Good luck, this one should be solvable,

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33670 - 07/08/08 09:08 AM Re: midi latency Midjay
--Mac Offline

BTW, for the record, my Midjay here responds instantly to all MIDI commands, zero latency.

HTH,

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33671 - 07/10/08 03:35 AM Re: midi latency Midjay
viocaia Offline

Thanks...
I did everything posible.With exactly the same configuration and a Roland e70 everything allright.I mean...my controller is running thru seq and out to Midjay,the clasicc MIDI2 in Midjay MIDI configuration, exactly how Ketron recomend for recording.
Also, if I want to send SysEx like efect on chanel 4..nothing happends.If I'm using an external midiinterface everything ok for SysEx but same latency after few minutes.
I'm not the single one faceing this latency and SysEx with direct USB in miDjay.A friend of mine, using a desktop realise the same reaction.
Also...funny..even with a external USB Midiinterface the latency apear after few minutes.
With the controller directly in Midjay Midi IN...no problem ,working like a dream.
Strange, I'm still working on it.
Vio www.viocaia.tk

#33672 - 07/10/08 06:17 AM Re: midi latency Midjay
--Mac Offline

Are you using the original Midjay or the newer Midjay plus model?

#33673 - 07/10/08 08:57 AM Re: midi latency Midjay
viocaia Offline

Hey!'
I have the original one, bought last year from Italy.It's version 4.0 and yes I did reloading the OS...same story.
Vio

#33674 - 07/10/08 09:08 AM Re: midi latency Midjay
viocaia Offline

I start to believe that is something like a bug in OS4, couse I'm using hardware and software sequencers from 1993 I'm really familiar with all this.Yes , I did change all the IRQ, same story.I've tried different software seq...all the same.
Interesting, in Cakewalk, if I open Midi Devices window and choose USB Audio (Midjay USB MIDI) than ok..everything normal..for a while..few minutes.But when I retry to record something on a certain track the latency is there.All I can do is to renew midi settings before each take..that sucks BT!!
I have an old paralel MIDI Interface from M-audio, and I'll instal it in a old Compaq lap laying in my basement for years to see if is the same.
Vio

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online