SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#336214 - 01/15/12 12:32 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: Scott Langholff]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Scott,

I think by now most of your queries have been answered.
I had the PA80 and later on the PA80 for 5 years. Over the last
two years I went from PA500 to PA800. The touchscreen is a complete
marvel particularly for those like me who program a lot. Which brings me to a point that should be of main interest to you in your decision to buy the Micro or not. ( or even the PA500). KORGS demand programming.
Contrary to the Tyros you need to tweak etc.etc. if not you get easily bored with it. That is why I spent hundreds of hours tweaking and progamming , that is why people remark it seems like they have gotten hold of an entirely new keyboard once they have loaded my programming. (Ask uncle Dave, he had my PA800 programming a two years ago and that was even much inferior to my present 2012 set for the PA800).
There is stuff on the internet from me that you can download for free and use on the Micro. And there is other stuff that I have which certainly makes the PA50/Mikro shine, see my webpages on page 7. With a Tyros 4 at home and a little bit of pocket money at hand I would ALWAYS go for the Mikro at that absurd streetprice. And do hook it up properly like I suggested to the Tyros, both MIDI and AUDIO.
What do you stand to loose ? And that goes for virtually most of you !

good luck,
John Smies

http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/

#336217 - 01/15/12 02:46 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: john smies]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John

I haven't a Tyros, but an Audya and Technics KN7000. I don't suppose it matters as far as your programming is conscerned.

I, for one, will avail myself to your expertise as soon as my MicroArranger comes in. For such a nominal price, I can.t help but be better off sonically.

Bernie

#336218 - 01/15/12 02:54 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: Bernie9]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thanx all for the input.

John, the Tyros hook up looks interesting. I'm wondering how quickly in between songs one could switch from Korg styles to Tyros styles and what those steps might be, I am a midi novice.

Really, the Korg organ alone almost makes it worth having. I probably will end up with one of the Korgs. tht micro sounds interesting, but the 500 also.

Edited by Scott Langholff (01/15/12 02:55 AM)

#336220 - 01/15/12 04:34 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: Scott Langholff]
john smies Offline

Hi Scott and Bernie,

Never having owned a Tyros in my life, what's more this PSR3000 I purchased recently is virtually my first Yamaha experience, you may have to resort to the true Tyros connaisseur but I can tell you this much....

First about the software on offer. Not because of the pecunias but it is true what Bernie says, why not build on the strenght ( in this case the sounds, registrations, styles etc) of someone who has in depth experience and take it from there. I have come across few keyboards that sound mindblowing straight out of the box, certainly none of KOrgs.

About hooking up the Micro, well of course the same applies to the Audya and the Technics, though the latter's midi may be dated.
But to take the Audya or the Tyros or the PSR:
Hooking up the AUDIO should be a piece of cake, simply going from line out on the Micro to your main keyboard.
MIDI wise (Tyros midi out, Micro midi in) you simply connect the uppers
(if necessary ) thru channels 1 and 2. You connect the lower on channel 3). Then to play the accompaniment of the Micro on the Tyros you have to connect yet another channel but here I am slightly out of my debt not owing a Tyros or Audya. Anyway it must and can be done quite easily which gives you the result that by say playing a C chord on your main keyboard you can play either keyboard DEPENDING ON WHICH START/STOP BUTTON you have activated. So Scott this means you can actually change from playing a style on the KOrg to a style on the Tyros in almost a split second !! ( ....or to make matters worse.........you could be playing two keyboards simultaneously..........out of sync....)

There is still much more to be said but I won't try and confuse matters more than necessary. All I am saying is DO play your micro along the keys of your main keyboard. Once you have familiarized yourself enough with it, dis-activate the midi link for the uppers but keep the midi link to the accompaniment section. Wich , I repeat myself, will give you two full acc. keyboards on the lower half of your main keyboard and a total of five uppers on your righthand side, three on the main keyboard and two on the Korg..........................................

JOhn

#336226 - 01/15/12 08:29 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: Scott Langholff]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
John,
Have you actually tried this yet, using your PA50 and PSR3000? If so are you pleased with the results? If I purchase the Micro, I too would use the same set up (3000/micro)

Also I'm a little confused:
Quote:
Once you have familiarized yourself enough with it, dis-activate the midi link for the uppers but keep the midi link to the accompaniment section. Wich , I repeat myself, will give you two full acc. keyboards on the lower half of your main keyboard and a total of five uppers on your righthand side, three on the main keyboard and two on the Korg

How does that happen if it's deactivated?

Thanks for your expertise

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#336238 - 01/15/12 12:55 PM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: lahawk]
john smies Offline

Hi Larry,

Not with the Micro for the simple reason that it is not on the market yet here in Europe. And due to poor health I have not done anything with my Korg PA80 and the PSR3000 either, but in the past I always hooked up my two keyboards ( whichever they were) in this way.

As regards you being puzzled about " de-activation ", let me try and explain from your point of view. PSR3000 + Korg Micro.

For starters like I said you hook up the audio, so korg audio out to Yamaha audio line in to beef up the sound a bit. ( not taking into account external amplification).
Right, once you get the Micro you initially will want to try out things without taking into account the Yamaha, that is APART FROM ITS KEYS. In other words you hook up (via MIDI) upper 1, upper 2, lower and accompaniment. To hook up upper 1 , upper 2 and lower you simply make them correspondent with the midi in channels on the Korg MIcro,
simple as can be. As to getting the correct response for the accompaniment you have to check out your manuals. I mean the idea is to hit the START button on the Korg and then play the chords on the Yammie. As to the uppers, you select the sounds and performances on the Korg but play them on the Yamaha......

Only when you have got that whole circus going and once you have familiarized yourself enough with the Korg to know what there is to like and not to like you can decide to DE-ACTIVE the upper 1 and upper 2 midi channels, or even the lower if you like BUT NOT THE ACC. CHANNEL. By doing so you retain a choice of accompaniment by playing the Yamaha depending on which keyboard you start with the start/stop button. But as you have disconnected the other midi links your PSR right hand will play the PSR sounds of your choice, and the KOrg righthand side the Korg sounds of your choice. In other words you can always have FOUR sounds at instant touch. And two different accompaniment depending on which keyboard yuo get going !!!!
Have you already got the Micro by the way ?

Good luck ,
John Smies

#336239 - 01/15/12 01:32 PM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: john smies]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Ahhh...got it (I think)

We am ordering a micro next week for the store, but I'll be the one who HAS to try it out. smile

I'll give your setup a go, and will let you know how your recommendations works out, but it sounds interesting, and fun

Thanks for your instructions and insight.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#336289 - 01/16/12 08:01 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: lahawk]
john smies Offline

Your welcome Larry.
Just let me know when you actually get hold of the Micro and that goes for Bernie and Scott as well, and I will send you guys a PM with more details because I can imagine this causing some wrinkles on the outset. But............you'll love the outcome !!

regards,
John

http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/

#336475 - 01/18/12 07:51 AM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: Scott Langholff]
john smies Offline

Just got word from Larry that the Micro is on backorder at his shop and will take time. So if anyone wants to fill his shoes and get going with the Korg Micro in combination with his or her major keyboard let me know,
preferably someone with a Tyros ( Scott ? ) but not necessarily.........

regards,
John Smies

#336589 - 01/18/12 09:09 PM Re: Difference between MicroArranger/PA50 & PA500 [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
I recently did some korg/yammie/biab chord/Sync setups for one of the korg members. I should be able to adapt it to korg/yammie if you get stuck.

[quote=john smies]
Hi Larry,

As to getting the correct response for the accompaniment you have to check out your manuals. I mean the idea is to hit the START button on the Korg and then play the chords on the Yammie.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online