SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#33605 - 06/03/08 05:38 PM Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
NigelSpiers Offline

Loc: Christchurch, Canterbury, New ...
Hi,
I have recently purchased a Ketron SD2 and a Fatar (Studiologic) VMK-188 Plus as a keyboard controller.
I have worked out how to access the sounds in the SD2 (pages 37-40 of the SD2 manual) - good!
I have also finally manged to activate the organ drawbars & percussion on pages 42 & 45 of the SD2 manual using Bank MSB = 67.

However I simply can't activate the Rotor settings on page 42 nor the Reverb, Distorsor settings on page 44. via the slider, knob, button on or pedals connected to the VMK.

A critical task to get this rig setup for live playing is to get the rotor/leslie working via one of the pedals attached to the VMK workstation.
The pedal programing on the VMK allows me to set the following parameters:
* Midi Channel (number)
* Control Change (number)
* Min & Maximum values (0-127)
* Polarity (of the pedal).

I note in the SD2 manual it says:
CONTROL 1EH Bnh 1EH
00H = rotor OFF
40H = rotor slow
7FH = rotor fast

How do convert the above SD2 codes into VMK Midi Channel, Control Change & minimum and maximum values?

Thanks for your help

------------------
Nigel Spiers
Blues and Views

#33606 - 06/03/08 07:25 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Those values given are in hexadecimal notation...7fH = 7f HEX.

Go online to ask for a hex to decimal converter.
(I have a caclulator that does it)
Hope this helps,
Lee

#33607 - 06/03/08 08:02 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
NigelSpiers Offline

Hi Leeboy,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I have a hex to dec converter and have used that to activate the CC codes for the Ketron SD2 drawbars, drawbar percussion, volume, expression etc.

The problem is that nothing happens when I put in the Rotor cc settings and the same for the reverb.

In particular I am interested in what I am doing wrong with the rotor settings - ON, SLOW & FAST i.e. what exactly should I key into the following settings in my controller keyboard:
* Midi Channel (number)
* Control Change (number)
* Min & Maximum values (0-127)
* Polarity (of the pedal).

Thanks for your help
Best Regards

#33608 - 06/04/08 07:03 AM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
leeboy Offline

I will look at the manual on-line & try to find the answer...

You would think AJ would help out here?????

I'm not sure, with this lack of support I will buy a Ketron product.
If Ketron wants to get some serious business they need to make some serious effort... Do they sleep all day?

Lee

#33609 - 06/04/08 05:50 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
leeboy Offline

Nigel,
Try sending controller # 30
Values upper = 00, lower = 00 for off
Values upper = 16, lowe = 16 for slow
Values upper = 127, lower = 127 for fast
(in other words send the 00, 16 or 127)

on the midi channel you are sending notes to (playing on)

Not sure if it is correct, but worth a try.

Lee

#33610 - 06/04/08 07:35 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
NigelSpiers Offline

Hi Leeboy,

Thanks for your help. Yes I've tried that and nothing!
I have now got the Reverb (Control 5BH) and Effects (Control 5DH) on page 42 of the manual to work.
But No leslie/rotor yet on page 42.
I'd be really interested to learn from you or anybody whether you can get Controller 30 to work and how.
Alternatively the Leslie is also mentioned on page 44 of the manual under the section TYPE EFFECTS CHANNEL ASIGN. Maybe this has something to do with it also - I'd love some help on this topic also.

Thanks again.
Best Regards

#33611 - 06/04/08 10:39 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Hi Nigel,

As per our discussion over on the pgmusic forum, the hexadecimal code does indeed translate to CC30 .

BUT -- I, too have been unable to get the Rotor effect to work, have tried everything and then some that I could think of.

I called AJ on the phone and also sent him an email about this, about a week ago. Haven't heard anything as of yet, will rattle his chain again soon.

One thing I did find out that is interesting, if you select some of the tonewheel organ MIDI patches from the banks, the CC11, which is supposed to be the MIDI Chorus control, does indeed invoke a Leslie simulator at the Slow Chorale setting.

BTW --if you aren't using a true stereo amplification rig onstage, with two channels driving two separate speakers, this Leslie effect does not sound right and may be hard to detect. A lot of keyboard amps and many PAs have stereo inputs but only one power amp driving both speakers. Boo. This can make the best of Leslie simulations sound like a sick guita amp tremelo. Gotta have stereo to hear the AM and FM components that make Don Leslie's design deliver that thrilling animation.

BTW -- that slow chorale on the SD2 is darned good sounding.

But I need rotor control and the fast setting,too.

Will keep ya posted, as soon as I know something so will you!

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33612 - 06/05/08 08:40 AM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
I have just sent an email regarding this subject and have been promised that it will be forwarded to Technical Dept. of Ketron in Italy.

Let's hope there is a quick (and easy) solution to this problem.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#33613 - 06/05/08 10:47 AM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
leeboy Offline

Guys,
I think you are doing it right according to the book. Also, MIDI CC 11 is expression, why would it control chorus?

BTW, that manual is very poor for the SD2.
Lee

#33614 - 06/05/08 03:06 PM Re: Ketron SD2 & Rotor Settings
NigelSpiers Offline

Hi Mac & Leeboy,
Thanks for your answers and help.
1. CC11 - yes I get Expression on this controller also which is what the manual says I should get - strange result with your slow Rotor Mac!
2. CC30 - yes looks like this does not work for any of us!
3. Distorter - I cannot get this to work either - have either of you had any luck with this controller?
4. If we every get this fully sorted I promise I will write a proper document/manual on how to use the SD2.
4. Mac - you commented in a recent message via the BIAB forum that you are looking at a new keyboard controller to use with your Ketron SD2. I believe you mentioned either an M-Audio or Novation keyboard. As previously mentioned I am also trying to setup a live keyboard rig (keyboard controller & sound module + pedals) and hence I have purchased SD2 and Studiologic (Fatar) VMK-188 Plus. This 88 key fully weighted action is great however the MIDI implementation and the operation of the keyboard's 8 sliders, 8 knobs and 8 buttons is very basic and not really suited to live use. Live I need to pre-program around 8 sounds (organs, pianos and E. pianos) and instantaneously swap between them and apply volume, leslie and expression via lighted buttons and/or pedals. Plus it is also helpful to have keyboard splits to play 2 different sounds at one time.
The action on the Studiologic keyboard is truly excellent and it's very heavy and strong but it simply can't do any of the above. Have you got any suggestions or alternatives. I came from a Roland VK8 keyboard where the live controls were great but the sounds were poor and I am very loath to go back to locking myself into that overpriced and proprietory type of solution.

I look forward to hearing from you and anybody else in similar situation.
Best Regards

------------------
Nigel Spiers
Blues and Views

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online