SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#335943 - 01/12/12 12:10 PM PA3X live recordings
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's a couple of songs I did on the job last night. No editing, mistakes and all. What do you think?
Honestly. I can still send it back.
http://donmasonmusic.com/PA3X/

DonM

#335946 - 01/12/12 12:18 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Don,

Why would you want to send it back, sounds great, you don't need the Mini, Big Boy. What does it fell like to play, it's one hell of a set of buttons,knobs and sliders. Looks like a flight deck. Nice work Don.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#335949 - 01/12/12 12:28 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

It is great to play with many dedicated controls and programmable buttons and sliders. Infinitely editable. I'm searching for a few styles, but have been able to come up with most of what I need.
Thanks!
DonM

#335950 - 01/12/12 12:34 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Don,

I did think of selling the Audya and buying the Pa3x, what do you think of the two, you have played both.I thought the Audya was designed by two Italian kids in school. I think Korg have done a good job of the Pa3x.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#335951 - 01/12/12 12:34 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Sounds great as usual Don.... I Know your missing those Roland guitars ;-) , but you could make any Kb sound super ...good luck with your new toy!

#335953 - 01/12/12 12:51 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Tony Hughes]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Don,

Why would you want to send it back, sounds great, you don't need the Mini, Big Boy. What does it fell like to play, it's one hell of a set of buttons,knobs and sliders. Looks like a flight deck. Nice work Don.

Tony

Now this is a flight deck!!!!

#335955 - 01/12/12 01:00 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Wow . . . these tunes have got Don Mason written all over them.
Great signature performance and Pa3X sounds. clap
Thanks for posting them Don. - Scott smile

#335956 - 01/12/12 01:02 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don ... As always, you sounds great ... as does the kb ...
NOBODY 'picks' on a kb like Big Don Mason !!! keys or guitar ???
Nice treatment of "Wings" as well ...

#335957 - 01/12/12 01:03 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

There may be a better style for Wings, I just started the style and the song popped into my head so I did it.
Thanks,
Don

#335958 - 01/12/12 01:06 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Here's a couple of songs I did on the job last night. No editing, mistakes and all. What do you think?
Honestly. I can still send it back.
http://donmasonmusic.com/PA3X/

DonM

Don, go and listemn to "That's alright mama" on your website.....and you won't need my opinion smile

The Korg is lifeless compared to that keyboard you used on that tune....Listen to the drums..they don't compare.....Keep it's little brother (E-50).... grin

You did want my honest opinion...right!!!

I think you already knew....If there were no other choice..I would take the Korg over the other camp...but it just doesn't do it, when the other unit is stil around smile

Here is the link folks...

http://www.donmasonmusic.com/music.html

Edited by Fran Carango (01/12/12 01:09 PM)

#335963 - 01/12/12 01:19 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thanks Fran! To be fair, I'm not totally happy with the sound yet, but I think I can get there. That's why I want opinions!
Don

#335965 - 01/12/12 01:31 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Thanks Fran! To be fair, I'm not totally happy with the sound yet, but I think I can get there. That's why I want opinions!
Don

Don, don't get me wrong..I am not saying...I didn't like it...I do..I just thought the comparison of what you recorded on the G70 ..could be helpful..

On "wind beneath my wings"..I thought the guitar you used was excellent...but we all know you can make the guitar sound real on anything.. smile

How are you coming .. for a pedal steel?...Did you ever get something you liked on the E?

#335967 - 01/12/12 01:43 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I don't love the one on the E50. Great one on BK7M though.
There is a really good slow one on the PA3X, and there is a great one for faster songs in the GM bank.
Right now I'm adjusting the e.q. to liven it up. If I think I've improved it later, I'll post something else.
Don

#335973 - 01/12/12 02:29 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I enjoyed those very much Don. Thanks for posting!

Just some random thoughts:

The guitar on on "Thrill" was amazing! So where the drums and especially the fills.

Vocal harmony on "Wind" was real nice.

I didn't care much for the drums on "Wind" especailly the cross stick. The guitar sounded a bit synthetic to my ears. The overall style on "Wind" didn't do much for me... Just my 2 cents.

Edited by montunoman (01/12/12 02:30 PM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#335977 - 01/12/12 02:54 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I agree. I can find a better style for Wind, or maybe just change the drum kit.
Thanks!
Don

#335979 - 01/12/12 03:13 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Don, go and listemn to "That's alright mama" on your website.....and you won't need my opinion smile

The Korg is lifeless compared to that keyboard you used on that tune....Listen to the drums..they don't compare.....Keep it's little brother (E-50).... grin

I realize I do not have the 'ear' many of you have to compare one KB to another, but is it fair to compare two KBs using two different styles? ... I would think an A/B test under identical conditions - PA system, recording device, etc. - using styles as similar as possible would provide a better comparison -
I'm NOT saying that you have to do that Don, just saying that in my opinion that's the only way to make an accurate comparison ...

#335988 - 01/12/12 04:01 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You're right Tony - Fran just wants to "Rolandize" the topic!
smile

#335989 - 01/12/12 04:05 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

I realize I do not have the 'ear' many of you have to compare one KB to another, but is it fair to compare two KBs using two different styles? ... I would think an A/B test under identical conditions - PA system, recording device, etc. - using styles as similar as possible would provide a better comparison -
I'm NOT saying that you have to do that Don, just saying that in my opinion that's the only way to make an accurate comparison ...

Tony, of course you are correct, that would be the ideal way to compare...I was referring to the character of the sound..I always look for a live sound....Comparing what Don already played is a good way to illustrate this...I think the crisp realistic sound of the G70 recording edged out the PA3x recordings...Just as I believe the PA3x edges out the Tyros4 in the same respect...

I have no doubt Don will get as close as possible the sound he wants...but who knows..maybe it will take another Audya.. grin

#335990 - 01/12/12 04:08 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
You're right Tony - Fran just wants to "Rolandize" the topic!
smile

Hey, I just picked from what Don had availble on his webpage smile

It is not my fault it turned out to be a Roland grin

#335992 - 01/12/12 04:46 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Fran, I know exactly what you mean. I do want a more live sound. I'm tweaking as we speak!
Thanks,
Don

#335996 - 01/12/12 05:23 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

That was absolutely TERRIBLE..I think you should dump the keyboard to me at 1/2 price>

Kidding aside, that board sounds fantastic, as do you. Question: how did you record, it sounds amazing though phones!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#336002 - 01/12/12 07:02 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don ... these styles are sounding better and better as I play with them. Don't be hasty - this board is a keeper for me!

#336003 - 01/12/12 07:08 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: zuki]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Sounds very good... keep tweeking and you get it there. The drums do sound nice and I agree the recording sounds very good. Having the TC to sing through and the WAVES mastering FX on the board puts it a notch above the rest!!

I always mix drums heavy to get the "live sound" when sequencing. To me, it sounds like the rest of the style voices need to be a bit louder but the drums, solo sound and your voice stay the same.

Please keep posting demos!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#336004 - 01/12/12 07:16 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Fran Carango]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
[quote=DonM]
On "wind beneath my wings"..I thought the guitar you used was excellent...but we all know you can make the guitar sound real on anything...

And I didn't like it AT ALL! Goes to show you everything is subjective. No comparison to a real guitar, sounded like what it is, a keyboard guitar, sounded fake. Of course, I have never had an orgasm over an arranger electric guitar solo. It's just not a sound I like. Maybe someday, they will make one that sounds real. Has nothing to do with Don's playing, I have made this statement before, nothing new here. Except that I really did NOT like that particular Korg guitar. Then again, I love a real guitar!

Actually, you can discount anything I say about a keyboard guitar, this is an arranger forum and people ooh and aah over arranger guitars and I really don't like them! I'd ten times more rather hear a piano solo. But, no problemo, what do I know!

The B B King song, I liked. Overall, pretty impressed with the Korg.

#336018 - 01/12/12 11:05 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: zuki]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
That was absolutely TERRIBLE..I think you should dump the keyboard to me at 1/2 price>

Kidding aside, that board sounds fantastic, as do you. Question: how did you record, it sounds amazing though phones!

Thanks,
I just plugged Tascam PR10 into the headphone jack of the keyboard and hit "record"!
DonM

#336019 - 01/12/12 11:46 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Don,

Tony

Ho Yes Fran,

But can you fly it, the MS has never got off the ground, can you give us a demo like DonM
would be appreciated and it would be a first on SZ. I am not holding my breath.

Tony

Now this is a flight deck!!!!

#336028 - 01/13/12 02:47 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
I just listened to your "The thrill is gone"
Jesus , man you just hit a telling spot right there.
As one of your bigest fans, she would have really wanted to hear this recording of yours.
Although it was a tear jerker, it gave me some pleasure in pretending she was here. Yes, pleasure because I was the priviledged one in her life.

Your recording is a number one keeper.
We are your #1 fans.

P.S. on another subject, perhaps just a touch of reverb on the vocal would have been my request.
But , then, it's purely a personal request. cheers.

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (01/13/12 02:55 AM)
Edit Reason: a P.S.

#336040 - 01/13/12 07:23 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Don ... these styles are sounding better and better as I play with them. Don't be hasty - this board is a keeper for me!

+1

I agree with Dave 100 percent.

#336043 - 01/13/12 07:42 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: Bluezplayer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've heard Don perform live and in person on several occasions and he sounds even better than the recordings.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#336054 - 01/13/12 08:29 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: eddiefromrotherham
I just listened to your "The thrill is gone"
Jesus , man you just hit a telling spot right there.
As one of your bigest fans, she would have really wanted to hear this recording of yours.
Although it was a tear jerker, it gave me some pleasure in pretending she was here. Yes, pleasure because I was the priviledged one in her life.

Your recording is a number one keeper.
We are your #1 fans.

P.S. on another subject, perhaps just a touch of reverb on the vocal would have been my request.
But , then, it's purely a personal request. cheers.

Eddie, you are very kind, and I agree about the vocal being too dry.
I know you miss your wife tremendously and I'm glad she enjoyed music so much. I know she is still listening to us, my friend.
Don

#336058 - 01/13/12 08:38 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Very nice work DonM...sorry I'm late commenting...nasty wind/rain/snow storm yesterday wreaked havoc with electricity.

I liked your rendition of Wind Beneath My Wings...great variation on the melody.

Ian

#336063 - 01/13/12 08:51 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thanks Ian, I think I have it sounding better since the posts. Weather is bitter here too, high today will only be around 60! I may have to skip golf until it warms back up. smile
The melody variation in "Wind" was probably because I couldn't remember how it went!
That song was written here by an acquaintance of mine, Larry Henley. Larry was one of the Newbeats, back in the 60s, and in fact was the guy who did the high vocal part in "I Like Bread and Butter" and their other songs. One of my best friends, Dean Mathis, was also in the group. When Dean and I perform together, I do the high part, with the aid of a vocal harmonizer. Dean also uses a harmonizer set to Double and does the unison vocal parts.
DonM

#336067 - 01/13/12 09:15 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sounded really good, as if it was just your take on it...worked out very well.

Ian

#336068 - 01/13/12 09:25 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don, a while back you posted that you were looking forward to doing a tune or two with "The Captain".

SAME HERE...SAME HERE...SAME HERE...SAME HERE...!

R.

We could sit down on whatever, and trade leads and vocals with no rehearsal at all.....AND KILL!

#336069 - 01/13/12 09:29 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

We have a couple of airports here Russ. Fire up your plane and come on down. Or, I'm not working this weekend, send it for me!
smile
DonM

#336074 - 01/13/12 10:49 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

it is really very simple Don,
an Ace player needs an Ace keyboard, and that is all there is to it.
Welcome to Korgie World bounce rotfl laugh

John

#336076 - 01/13/12 11:01 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thanks John, I sure hope you are feeling better these days. We need you. Now get to work on resources for the PA3X!
DonM

#336082 - 01/13/12 12:15 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Weather is bitter here too, high today will only be around 60! I may have to skip golf until it warms back up. smile
DonM

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRgggggggggghhhh!!!!! mad rolleyes

Edited by tony mads usa (01/13/12 12:17 PM)

#336096 - 01/13/12 02:13 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don, the King Air is sold...too expensive to justify, and the little Cessna is too hard for these old feet to pedal all the way to Louisiana.

I'm planning some vacation time this year. the last day I took off was 1982.

Hope we can visit soon. That job in Lexington is still in limbo, but you never know...

Russ

#336102 - 01/13/12 02:56 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Don,
sounded great to me.

Maybe try the Drum Remap Function .

I did a list up for the PA800 a couple of years ago of which drums get remapped to a what . Of course listening to the results whilst changing the various settings is the only way to do it, but it was still interesting to be able to compare the results in a list.

It might change those cross sticks ( Monunoman mentioned) to a more suitable instrument for the song.

Great feature a lot of owners may not be aware of.
A single drum pattern , depending on the pattern, might be able to be used for 4 different variations, starting off with simple & sounding full on by the time you get to vari 4, just by using remapping function.

I agree. I can find a better style for Wind, or maybe just change the drum kit.
Thanks!
Don

Edited by rikkisbears (01/13/12 02:59 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#336108 - 01/13/12 04:13 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

Have to be brave to post a song here eek2 I listened to Wings again and I thought the style was appropriate. Good work Don. Like to hear more.............

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#336113 - 01/13/12 04:34 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I have been working on the pa3x all day, with the help of Semilive. I have changed drum kits, style sounds, levels, mic e.q., etc. I tried nine different mics.
In fact, Bill is now the proud owner of two of them, simply because they made his voice sound really good.
I got to listen to Bills new Fishman pa. It sounds fantastic on guitar and vocals, not really enough bottom for much arranger use, but it would work in a pinch.
We actually played with the keyboard for close to six hours. It's a ball to play and easy to edit. Hope I'm getting closer, but I've listened to it for too long now to judge much.
I'll make a couple more recordings and get some more opinions.
Thanks for all the help.
Don

#336132 - 01/13/12 10:53 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Well, a bit late to the party here, but along the lines of what John Smies said earlier, a great keyboard in great hands. Thoroughly enjoyed both songs, Don.

#336135 - 01/14/12 12:44 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

You are very kind, sir!
I'm actually going quite crazy right now. I started working on this thing at 10:00 a.m. and it is now 2:30 a.m. tomorrow. Maybe it's time to call it a day.
DonM

#336147 - 01/14/12 05:06 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

LOL! Just skimmed the surface, then Don. Been there, done that.

#336152 - 01/14/12 06:17 AM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
The PA3X rocks, literally! I wonder why Italians make such great arrangers? Ketron, Korg. Hmmm...

#336196 - 01/14/12 07:15 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Hey Don,
I too enjoyed your performances. Your vocals, keyboard playing and tasteful use of vocal harmony are all super. I’d love to hear you play and sing My Woman, My Woman, My Wife and Any Day Now.
Best Always,
Deaton

#336199 - 01/14/12 10:30 PM Re: PA3X live recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

All right, which do you want, my woman or my other woman or my wife? smile
Thanks Deaton, I will record one just for you. . . any day now. smile

Don

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online