SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#335678 - 01/09/12 11:49 AM OT Again
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Looking at wireless routers. Tried two D-Link a year and a half old like new. Couldn't get going. A friend had an older Linksys and it took off immediately.
I Looking at Linksys routers. I noticed some said 11MPS and some of these things say 120MPS and they are all pretty close in price.
Any Hi-Techs here that can help and shed some light on roughters? Please?
Boo

#335698 - 01/09/12 02:00 PM Re: OT Again [Re: brickboo]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Boo:

I don't consider myself a "techie" but I just went through the exercise of setting up a simple, wireless Netgear Router system to allow two laptops (each with a different Windows Operating System) to access the internet. I visited two different storefront computer stores and both quoted me a similar system for about twice the cost... no installation included.

I decided to look at Wal-Mart and paid around $35 bucks. After reading everything I could get my hands on to ensure I did not crash either laptop or ruin my AOL/Windstream hybrid setup, I got things up and running in a few hours. (AOL for E-mail and Windstream is my ISP)

I had more trouble with the Dell Windows 7 laptop due to my lack of familiarity with that operating system. The XP laptop was a breeze.

Admittedly, both laptops are less than 50 feet apart and in different rooms but the signal appears to be more than adequate for what we are doing.

The Netgear Router I purchased is an N150 wireless unit. Speed is 150 Mbps. The router comes with two plastic foot clips which allow the unit to stand erect and take up less space on your work surface... and probably improves reception/transmission.

Good luck. I'm pretty sure there are several similar models and manufacturers out there with similar features and pricing.

Hopefully, some of the guys here at the "Zone" will have even better options for you.

Dave Rice

#335704 - 01/09/12 02:15 PM Re: OT Again [Re: brickboo]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
My Nephew studies information technology to become an Engineer. He put me onto this one 6 month ago.
I love it and it is a very good price:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-WL-TL-WR84...7136&sr=8-5
Eric

#335774 - 01/10/12 12:17 PM Re: OT Again [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Eric,
I read maybe 50 plus reviews. Forty-three or so raved as you have about this router.
There are about seven or eight cons. However, the scary seven or eight say they spent from hours to a couple of days with no success.

A couple said that when they called support a message said no one was in. A few said that the techs could not understand them and that they could not understand the techs. Another said that after two days of this the tech told him to get his money back.

Here I go negative again, but you could bet your life I will land in the group that gets a lemon.

One seemingly hi-tech person said with this unit there is a consistency problem

Then again one eBay seller offers a thirty day return policy. This sounds good, however, it may be because he's had so many complaints and does not want negative feedback.

Man where are the good old days when we had to walk to the corner nickle pay phone.

#335864 - 01/11/12 04:04 PM Re: OT Again [Re: brickboo]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Boo
I had no problems so far with this unit.
Amazon has a very good return policy too.
Many times I read negative reviews on amazon about a product and I find them often to be over the top...
Hope you'll find what you are looking for.
Eric

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online