SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#335558 - 01/07/12 07:27 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Cass how do you like the organs & leslie on the micro?

#335561 - 01/07/12 08:22 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
O like the organs a lot, but the Leslie effect escapes me. The pprogrammed sim with the organ is good, but I haven't noticed a lot of change using the joystick. Maybe it's something else I have to work on. computer smirk

#335562 - 01/07/12 08:27 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Cass Leslie really works great with the joy stick.....how R U selecting the sounds what mode R U in "Program" I hope?

Attachments
1600-microARR_detail4.jpg

Edited by Dnj (01/07/12 08:32 PM)

#335581 - 01/08/12 05:03 AM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: Dnj]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I have a question for Korg PA arrangers owners.

Do you know if there is a mode to use the arranger as a master keyboard, so when you press some buttons like Start/Stop, fill ins, Sounds... it send a MIDI data (always the same)

But not send all the midi notes of the styles..

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#335622 - 01/08/12 06:34 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Ian, how did you get on in Bedford? Did you manage to play a Micro - whaddya think? Hmmm, nineteen Pa3X's in Canada. Probably means that eighteen of them ended up in the centre of the universe. Oh, and one in Vancouver. LOL!

#335623 - 01/08/12 07:08 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: cassp]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I won't be going to Halifax/Bedford until the week of the 15th-21st this month...I'll check in with them before I leave, to see if they have one in stock.

I have already played the micro Workstation which has an identical keyboard to the microArranger...it is a bit difficult playing chords in both hands, as the intervals feel so different, and if you are playing this along with another keyboard with normal sized keys, it can be a bit weird.

Tony Hughes posted this video link on another thread with a Korg spokesman playing the microArranger...you can see he's not entirely joyful about the keyboard and his hand position looks a bit scrunched up..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xTX4PKwhc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

If it is a user's sole keyboard, they will get used to it without too much trouble I suppose, but I wouldn't want to play a 2-3 hour gig with it...plus the lightness in weight may even be disadvantageous as it would have to be fastened pretty securely to a stand to avoid any movement during any kind of vigorous play.

It's not like I'm trying to bash Korg...on the contrary...I think they have really good arrangers, but I also would like to see that anyone considering this instrument for even casual pro usage, would know both sides of the argument.

As it is, it's being touted as a miracle do it all lightweight, and it would probably work well for those who seem excited about it, but the majority of these people intending it for pro use, aren't going to be playing it for the whole gig...they will be using SMF and other backgrounds along with the microArranger.

So, I just want to make sure it isn't misrepresented in any way. I would do the same if Yamaha made one...in fact, I used to demo their PSS line of arrangers, which used mini-keys (a few of the higher end had five octave keyboards), and my criticisms were of the same nature as with the Korg.

I hope I get to play one, and I also hope to get my hands on a Korg PA3X (or PA3XPro)...if there are any of the latter to try, I will PM you here right away, from my hotel, as maybe Long & McQuade could ship it to their store in your area so you could try it.

Ian

#335625 - 01/08/12 07:48 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: ianmcnll]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I agree with you completly I ave played both micro and 3x and no compairson the micro keys are very small if you play octive in left hand you will be playing 9ths the sound in the micro very good midi file player not too good no score mode , and yamaha files will not track well at all so thumbs down on that as a tone generator thumbs up playing styles with this small keybed nit good as well. it is a good little guy but not for the pro guy.

#335629 - 01/08/12 09:22 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: cassp]
124 Offline

Cheers, Ian. Sorry, I was jumping the gun on your trip, then. I'm not interested in buying the Micro myself - I currently have a Pa1XPro, so the Pa3X is more in my sights.

Agreed, the fellow in the video does look a mite awkward at times. I guess that to a person with small hands, the Micro would be a comfortable enough fit. Size matters, I suppose, though over the years I've played various keyboards and I have to say that I've adapted soon enough.

#335633 - 01/08/12 09:44 PM Re: My Review of the Korg MicroArranger [Re: ianmcnll]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

If it is a user's sole keyboard, they will get used to it without too much trouble I suppose, but I wouldn't want to play a 2-3 hour gig with it...plus the lightness in weight may even be disadvantageous as it would have to be fastened pretty securely to a stand to avoid any movement during any kind of vigorous play.

Ian

Ian,

I've not seen anyone on SZ playing anything vigorously, perhaps we should ask Tostie he's the only young guy left good enough to play things vigorously, I don't think even he would be going down the Mini Arranger route, as someone said early, in a nutshell, this is not a KB for a professional, hey not my words but I think most proffs would agree, make what you want of that. Tyrosman said it was but a toy, mind you like me he has played the mighty Wurlitzer a time or two. Don't worry Ian the Korg Mini Arranger isn’t going anywhere, certainly not professionally, it isn’t going to steal the market and cause the Yamaha range a problem, when the dust has died down and all the frivolities are over common sense will prevail, Roland G70 rules OK, did I just say that!

Now get some sleep Ian and stop dreaming about the Korg rotf2

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online