SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#335412 - 01/05/12 08:52 PM how do you do your DJ presentation?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
In another thread, a few of you said you also do a DJ presentation with your OMB performance. I'm wondering what equipment you bring along for that. A whole box of CD's and a player, just certain songs on an mp3 player, professional DJ equipment, etc? Do you "mix" with your setup or play single songs and talk in-between? Other comments?

Also are any of you using Karaoke tracks instead of MIDI files to sing with?

#335437 - 01/06/12 06:12 AM Re: how do you do your DJ presentation? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
As with every job it depends on the situation and what the crowd wants. NH and the like its just the keyboard using styles and doing vocals. Parties I bring a Numark mixer and box of CD's (I really should do the computer thing but I haven't made that jump yet.) I start out live and them mix in the dance tunes I can't/won't try to replicate and usually it turns into a full DJ thing by the end of the night with maybe a few live ballads thrown in. For small affairs which I expect to be all live but you never know, I bring my I Touch with some essentials loaded in.
As discussed in another thread here its getting harder to do a whole gig live anymore. EX: I just hooked up last minute to do two nights including NYE with a well known band here in South NJ. I just had to DJ their breaks! Total work time for me less than 1 hr. per night. They themselves, (6 pieces) played along with a Yamaha 910 and at times no one was playing anything live, just singing and jumping around. Crowd loved them so even though it was a turnoff for me you can't argue with success. The band leader liked my DJ-ing so much he promised he will call for future weddings, etc. and tried to book me for next NYE. Hopefully I'll have some more contacts here and can do my own thing by then. I rather be really playing so I'm hooking up with some musicians here to do a real band thing. Hope it works out for my musical sanity!
All those piano lessons-----HA!

Good Luck

#335482 - 01/06/12 02:42 PM Re: how do you do your DJ presentation? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Our DJ operation is the graveyard for all the big stuff we have from the past. My son runs it. He's a car guy, and lots of the work is car shows....sometimes 15,000 attending.

We prefer using two Newmark players with a shuttle and real C/D's rather than a laptop. There's more going on, and, with controlling the lights, etc. it enhances the show.

We use 1000 watt Crown amps...as many as we need, and up to 16 15" Carvins. We also have subs, but we're there to play oldies and make announcements.

We also show several restored cars and motor scooters, so we're part of the group.

We have an old 22' aluminum Airstream converted to a DJ booth and a small 4"x10" trailer for smaller jobs.

Some of the big equipment is 25 plus years old; still blasting away!

It's a lot of fun and a family activity. I never DJ; for years, that's been the competition!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (01/06/12 02:44 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online