SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#335093 - 01/01/12 06:16 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Getting back on the topic of the Micro: It's amazing what one can learn if he reads the manual. Sometimes it doesn't make immediate sense, but might kick in hours or days later all on its own. As for technology that's approaching being ten yrs old, there are still tons of G70's, PSR2000's and even Korg i's. It's not what you play, it how you play...

#335094 - 01/01/12 06:49 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: cassp
I think that the fact we all can use our arrangers as we choose is the key element.

True, Cassp...it is far wiser to identify with others, rather than compare.

I admire people that can sing, like you, DonM, Donny, Scott, just to name a few...and, as it's been said many times here, it is the result that matters, not the method.

However, I still prefer to work within the parameters I have set for myself; it's not that they are better (or worse) than what others use, but they are the ones that give me the most personal satisfaction.

Ian

#335159 - 01/02/12 05:26 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: cassp
Getting back on the topic of the Micro: It's amazing what one can learn if he reads the manual. Sometimes it doesn't make immediate sense, but might kick in hours or days later all on its own.

Cass, I definitely agree with you. cool

Because the MicroArranger's gonna be my first Korg brand "arranger" ever owned (my last Korgs were Synths (707 & 01WFD),
I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of the manual so have been busy as a beaver reading & working to absorb everything I can cover to cover before mine arrives.

Korg's OS and way of doing things is distinctively different than on Yamaha arrangers (which I've played for over 10 years), so I initially didn't undertand Korg's naming conventions but after having to re-read a few sections of the manual, I finally figured out that a Korg 'Program' is what Yamaha refers to as a 'voice', and that a Korg "Performance' is what Yamaha refers to as an individual "Registration". There are a number of other OS & operational differences as well, but once I was able to keep an open mind to Korg's conventions and methods, it finally makes sense, and I now appreciate the advantages of both Yamaha & Korg's different approaches and ways of doing things. I'm already discovering some Korg features missing on the Tyros 4 I know I'm going to appreciate on the MicroArranger, like the ability to assign chord recognition to 'either' the left or the upper section of the keyboard, allowing one to play LH manual bass lines while in auto accomp mode. Yamaha doesn't support that. The other cool feature missing on Yamaha arrangers is Korg's dual sequencer. Listening to the MicroArranger demos, I think I'm also going to appreciate "BOTH" Korg's smooth jazz(?) type sounds/styles as a nice option/compliment to my Yam T4's more traditional polished sound. It's going to be nice to have 'both' worlds of sounds to choose from.
That said, I'm going to reserve my opinion about the MicroArranger until I've actually had a chance to play it a bit.
Ok, time to get back to that MicroArranger manual again. I hope to have it read cover to cover by the time the little MicroArranger arrives.
How much I actually absorb by then though will be anybody's guess. coffee

Scott

#335251 - 01/03/12 08:13 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Continuing to run thru my set lists and finding that Performances (registrations) seem more important/beneficial on the Micro than on the s910. In my laziness I have never established or used registrations on any of my Yamahas. I did see a possible need on the G70/60, but this little Micro will definitely benifit me more if I set up performances. Maybe this will encourage me to make some regs on the s910, but I've gotten along well without them, I think...

On another note, I still haven't figured out the two sequencers. Even after going thru the tutorial twice, that procedure escaped me. Also, it's important to learn your way around the controls. Fow some reason many seem to be more confusing, and getting in/out/to/from other screens is still a work in progress.

#335254 - 01/03/12 09:24 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Scottyee]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott ,
you're a brave soul, trying to figure out the manual without having the keyboard in front of you.

I had a quick peek. Most of the functions are very similar to my PA800/PA3X. Unfortunately I'm a hands on user, I actually need to be able to push the buttons & see the result for me to make sense of it.

I've been debating with myself, do I really need Korg no 3. haahaa

Look Forward to your reveiw when it arrives.

Edited by rikkisbears (01/03/12 09:24 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#335269 - 01/04/12 06:06 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Rikki, I still haven't figured out how to extract a .sty file from the micro. The best I can do is save "sets" to the SD card. Still working on it. Maybe some of these younger minds can find it when they get their MicroArrangers.

#335282 - 01/04/12 10:43 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Scottyee]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott you wrote;
I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of the manual so have been busy as a beaver reading & working to absorb everything I can cover to cover before mine arrives.
(Korg Micro Arranger)

Where can I get a copy of the manual?

John C.

#335283 - 01/04/12 10:56 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi John, you've got mail. smile
I Trust your email server accepts 13mb+ file attachments.
- Scott

#335295 - 01/04/12 12:55 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Bob Hendershot]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bob,
thank you for trying.
Maybe if I can get that picture of the keyboard large enough, I may be able to see the buttons that the manual refers to, & make a bit more sense of the instructions.

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Rikki, I still haven't figured out how to extract a .sty file from the micro. The best I can do is save "sets" to the SD card. Still working on it. Maybe some of these younger minds can find it when they get their MicroArrangers.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online