SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#335234 - 01/03/12 04:53 PM "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Old timey country! Sparse production! Group is The Little Willies. I just listened to The Good Times and Jolene... awesome! Norah Jones could sing the phone book and I'd love it. Jolene is especially good, of course, I really like that song!

Don't miss "Lovesick Blues." Wow!

Here is the entire album, which you can listen to for a few days for free...

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/27/144318096/first-listen-the-little-willies-for-the-good-times#playlist

There is a also a link at top of page to stream the entire album start to finish.

#335246 - 01/03/12 06:45 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... some really nice stuff on this CD ...
The ONLY problem I ever had concerning Norah Jones was the fact that when she came on the scene with her first CD she won several awards as the new "Jazz Artist" , and based on her material, she is no more a "Jazz Artist" than any other C/W singer, and I felt she was considered for the awards because of her 'pedigree', and some other deserving JAZZ artist lost out ...
But the girl can sing ...
BTW ... does anyone know what piano she plays on her recordings?

Edited by tony mads usa (01/03/12 06:57 PM)

#335248 - 01/03/12 07:15 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: tony mads usa]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Bill ... some really nice stuff on this CD ...
The ONLY problem I ever had concerning Norah Jones was the fact that when she came on the scene with her first CD she won several awards as the new "Jazz Artist" , and based on her material, she is no more a "Jazz Artist" than any other C/W singer, and I felt she was considered for the awards because of her 'pedigree', and some other deserving JAZZ artist lost out ...
But the girl can sing ...
BTW ... does anyone know what piano she plays on her recordings?

She was young, I'm not sure she was sure of what she was... or that she still is. She certainly is not a "country" artist, although, this album is certainly a bit country. Kind of hard to categorize her.

#335298 - 01/04/12 01:13 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Not a fan of country, but am a fan of Norah. Some songs are timeless...."For the Good Times"...lots of Gladys Night Motown hits were also country hits. Just goes to show the power of a great song. And, the power of individual interpretations and performances.

Thanks, Bill!

R.

#335300 - 01/04/12 01:44 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great stuff Biil!

#335304 - 01/04/12 01:54 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
One of my favorite artists, Bill...thanks.

Love her doing Tennessee Waltz.

Ian

#335311 - 01/04/12 04:47 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good find Bill,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#335313 - 01/04/12 05:43 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Norah Jones' music. Great Stuff. clap

#335323 - 01/04/12 07:09 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
[quote=tony mads usa]She was young, I'm not sure she was sure of what she was... or that she still is. She certainly is not a "country" artist, although, this album is certainly a bit country. Kind of hard to categorize her.

Maybe you could say her music losely fits into "Americana" with jazz and country influences???

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#335324 - 01/04/12 07:19 PM Re: "For The Good Times"... Norah Jones et al [Re: montunoman]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic
[quote=tony mads usa]She was young, I'm not sure she was sure of what she was... or that she still is. She certainly is not a "country" artist, although, this album is certainly a bit country. Kind of hard to categorize her.

Maybe you could say her music losely fits into "Americana" with jazz and country influences???

Americana is almost impossible to describe, but I wouldn't describe her music as "with jazz and country influences," I would describe it as "with jazz influences." She's done material from various genres, and certainly including country, but the key is it's all with a jazz touch.

I'd say she's been somewhat successful...

"Her debut album Come Away With Me was released in 2002 and sold 22 million copies worldwide. It won 5 Grammy Awards in 2003."

Sheesh, that is BIG. I had no idea she was THAT big on her debut. That is HUGE. Good thing she got going before CD sales tanked. I'm sure she is wealthy by now, she also writes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online