SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#335163 - 01/02/12 06:17 PM OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Guys:

I'm trying to help my wife get her new Dell Laptop up and running and during the setup process, "Bing" keeps trying to get us to accept that piece of crap, won't let us reject it and puts us in an endless loop. I check the decline box and it sends me to a yes/no box. I select "NO" and it takes me back to the first darn "Bing" window. Anybody know how to get rid of this trash other than switching to a different operating system? (I am really learning to detest Microsoft.)

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave Rice

#335166 - 01/02/12 07:00 PM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Is the Yes/No box to accept the decline? If so say Yes.

And if this is just for the Bing toolbar in IE it is no big deal because it can be turned off later in IE.

#335167 - 01/02/12 07:00 PM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Bing is a search engine. I would assume that it's like this... if you can't figure out how to keep it from setting that as the default search engine for your chosen browser, just accept it. You can 'dismantle' it later and choose another.

I'm typing on a brand new Dell laptop, so, I share your pain from the b.s. they put on new computers. I'm still dealing with it.

My point is... I think your situation at this point is not too terrible. But yes, nonsense like this drives me nuts.

#335168 - 01/02/12 07:02 PM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use Win7...I just designated Google as my home page...problem solved.

#335175 - 01/02/12 09:11 PM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Thanks Folks:

My concern about "Bing"... putrid search engine that it is, comes from another time when it "invaded" my older laptap without invitation. It took me nearly a week to get the darn thing to depart. I was ready to pay a Priest to exorcise it.

I looked at an e-mail from an acquaintance who uses Yahoo... and the very act of opening that correspondence cursed me with that invasive vomit.

You'd think a responsible company like Microsoft would realize the ire such lousy pranks can cause potential users. In all honesty, I've never used "Bing" and don't care much for "Google"... (I call it Gargoyle) because they are so sneaky about how they treat my (and your) privacy. If we had honest politicians, I would ask them to pass a law making these predatory practices illegal. It is a form of breaking and entering.

Anyway, your thoughts on this subject were helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

#335192 - 01/03/12 07:36 AM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave,

It's probably a function of your startup files. Click Start/Run and type MSCONFIG and press enter. Next, tab to the Startup files and uncheck everything other than your virus protection and other essential programs, then restart the computer.

Also, you may want to take a look at your browser program under Options and see if there is an option for setting the search engine default.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#335193 - 01/03/12 07:41 AM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: travlin'easy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dave,

It's probably a function of your startup files. Click Start/Run and type MSCONFIG and press enter. Next, tab to the Startup files and uncheck everything other than your virus protection and other essential programs, then restart the computer.

Also, you may want to take a look at your browser program under Options and see if there is an option for setting the search engine default.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

I think this is sound advice. In that order.

#335204 - 01/03/12 09:43 AM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Thanks, Gary and Bill (and everyone else):

At least I now have both units capable of using the net. My daughter is on the way to rescue her "idiot dad" from the clutches of Microsoft... LOL!

Happy New Year Guys,

Dave

#335345 - 01/05/12 12:08 AM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Dave, I am still using XP Pro and loving it, but using IE8. You can disable it, if you look in the top RH corner of IE and there you may see Bing and a magnifying glass with a down button.
If this there then click on the down button, and it will display the search engines that are loaded on your PC. Now select "Manage Search Providers" ( left click) and rright button click on the offending program. It then gives you a dialog bax to disable the program, do so (left button click).
While Bing is highlighted, look further down the page and you will see a check box to "Prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider" do that too. Last thing on that page is to select the search engine that you do want as default (say Yahoo! Search) up the top then left button click on it; then go down to the bottom of that page and you should see another button that says "Set as default" click on that; then click on close.
Hope that helps and no confusing to you...........

#335375 - 01/05/12 12:49 PM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: tassiespirit]
Riceroni9 Offline

Thanks, Tassie:

I also use XP on my machines but the new interface of Win 7 on my wife's laptop was really unfamiliar. My daughter has resolved all my issues, thank goodness, so I can get back to songwriting activities.

Tasmania must be an interesting place to live. Out of curiosity, are there "native" people on that Island also?
Naturally, the Tasmanian Devil is very well known here in the US thanks to Bugs Bunny and all those cartoons.

Best regards,

Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#335492 - 01/06/12 07:11 PM Re: OT: Win 7 Setup on new Dell Laptop [Re: Riceroni9]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By: Riceroni9
Thanks, Tassie:

I also use XP on my machines but the new interface of Win 7 on my wife's laptop was really unfamiliar. My daughter has resolved all my issues, thank goodness, so I can get back to songwriting activities.

Tasmania must be an interesting place to live. Out of curiosity, are there "native" people on that Island also?
Naturally, the Tasmanian Devil is very well known here in the US thanks to Bugs Bunny and all those cartoons.

Best regards,

Dave Rice

http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

Just hope I could help a little, but it's no substitute for hands on fixes.
Moved here from Sydney, New South Wales in 1993 and improved my lifestyle, as it's a beautiful place( slower pace). The timbers available here are some of the prettiest too, like Huon Pine, Black Hearted Sassafras and Tasmanian Blackwood).
Yes, they are here and many intermarried decendants too. Respect to their culture and land, as well as to "sacred sites' are high in the standards here ( better than some places). They were almost wiped out by the English settler's but some were able to survive and stay.
The Tassie Devil is still struggleing with the tumor desease, but hopefully it will be cured( they are tenacious creatures indeed).
Allan
taz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online