SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#334829 - 12/27/11 07:12 AM Podium volume gone bad
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
One of my Podium 10" speakers... at a gig, I noticed the volume was low on one side. A friend twisted the volume knob and it would cut in and out. Any idea if there is an easy fix with that knob?

#334847 - 12/27/11 10:54 AM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Spray tuner cleaner.
DonM

#334851 - 12/27/11 12:04 PM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: DonM]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Spray tuner cleaner.
DonM

I can do that except it's $13/can. Which I will buy... but... I wonder if WD-40 might work. You know, the old redneck standby, WD-40 solves every problem. A bartender at the honkytonk just turned 72 (not kidding), she rubs WD-40 on her aching joints.

#334857 - 12/27/11 01:51 PM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

The problem with using WD-40 is that it never really dries. Consequently, if it comes in contact with some of the surrounding components it can really cause problems. Contact cleaner dries almost immediately, leaves very little residue, and is not a good conductor of electricity. It was originally formulated for cleaning TV tuners in the 1950s. Also, be sure to use that stuff in a well ventilated area. The vapors can be deadly if inhaled.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#334870 - 12/27/11 09:48 PM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Gary’s right , don't use WD40, 50 or 60, it will never go away, most PCB or component cleaning spray on products are safe, manufactures have to adhere to strict codes anyway you are not going to empty the can on the wiper, if you do then you will need to get a technician to change the wiper, (potentiometer) 9 times out of ten Don is right it needs a clean.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#334881 - 12/28/11 07:24 AM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
124 Offline

If you're out on a gig and no switch cleaner is to hand, then sometimes it's as simple as just giving the knob or fader as few brisk turns or slides. Very often we leave a knob in the same position forever and 'crud' builds up around that position. Not the be-all end-all solution, I know, but a few quick twists will sometimes settle it down such that you can carry on.

#334883 - 12/28/11 09:00 AM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I have to disagree with you guys. I spent 10 years repairing organs and amps. WD40 works very well. If the pot (volume control) is sealed pry the little tabs back just enough so you can get the little red tube in between the cover and the pot. Spray a little in there and spin the knob back and forth about 10 times. Bend the tabs back best you can and you should be set to go. If the pot is not sealed just stick the tube in a give it a short spray, you don't have to drown it. The trick here is you must get any contact cleaner into the pot. Trying to spray it in from the outside will not work. Most likely you will have to take out the screws holding in the electronics and slide them out to do this.

Tom

Tom

#334884 - 12/28/11 09:15 AM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tom,

They don't make them that way these days. Twenty years ago they had metal cases and tabs that could be bent back. In many instances the new pots are part of the circuit board and the carbon wiping area is actually embedded into the PC board itself and sealed within a bubble. I looked at a small, PC board a couple weeks ago that was totally encased in plastic. It had three pots, but the only option for repairs was to replace the entire unit. Keep in mind that I'm old enough to remember tube testers in drug stores. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#334888 - 12/28/11 09:55 AM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
124 is right. when you don't use knobs on amps, instruments...anything, they get really "scratchy". A couple of quick turns will often help.

This is a problem for me, because I only use the volume on a guitar or bass. The rest of the knobs get really "funky".

My kid is my tech, and he's always complaining about this.

We go thru a bunch of tuner cleaner.

R.

#334909 - 12/28/11 06:13 PM Re: Podium volume gone bad [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Just a warning, some tuner cleaner contains silicon. It will ruin carbon impregnated contacts. Gary, I'm right behind you. I too remember drug store tube testers.

Tom

Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online