SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#334839 - 12/27/11 08:40 AM Korg Microarrangers have just landed
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Just got my shipment of a dozen of these awesome things, and 3 just left the building.

these things are great

#334840 - 12/27/11 09:00 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Frankie,

Can you do a mini review of the Micro-Arranger?

I know several people who are interested.

Ian

#334843 - 12/27/11 09:34 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: ianmcnll]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
It is exactly the Korg PA50SD, except minature and black.

Same sounds, same styles, same OS system.

Speakers are a tad bit tinny but what can you expect from that size.

the PA50SD is a great board for the price, now at a quarter of the size, it's the perfect back-up board, or second board for the additional Korg ish type sounds

#334866 - 12/27/11 06:35 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I oredered mine tonight. Frank and I did the email dance and hopefully he'll be sending the MicroA my way in the morning. Thanks Frank for the great deal.

#334868 - 12/27/11 09:22 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Only issue I see is its using the 2002 stripped down LE Triton version of Korg's HI synthesis (Hyper Integrated synthesis system) sound engine as opposed to the latest Synthesis technology.

Edited by Kingfrog (12/27/11 09:23 PM)
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#334873 - 12/28/11 02:21 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Kingfrog]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Yes, and I think there is no portamento...

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#334887 - 12/28/11 09:53 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: cassp
I oredered mine tonight. Frank and I did the email dance and hopefully he'll be sending the MicroA my way in the morning. Thanks Frank for the great deal.

Hi Cass et al. I just purchased a Korg MicroArranger from our buddy Frank too, and it's already on it's way to me here in California.
Cass, I look forward to comparing notes with you and other Korg MicroArranger owners once we receive our units. smile

I purchased my Tyros 4 from Frank @ AudioWorks last year. Not only are Frank's prices terrific, but his friendly & attentive service is unsurpassed too. More importantly Frank's active participation & friendhsip here for so many years even BEFORE he became an arranger keyboard dealer show how dedicated and loyal he is to fellow synthzone members.

Initially, I primarily plan to utilize the MicroArranger for personal on the go entertainment fun and to take along on weekend getaways & for smaller casual parties. At a mere 9 lbs (including speakers) there'll be no excuse to leave home without it. I'll post a review soon after it arrives next week.

Scott cool

#334890 - 12/28/11 11:15 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just received an Email from DNJ and his arrived today.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#334891 - 12/28/11 11:29 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hell,

Look Bill, even though the Korg has built in speakers, when played it can be hooked up to a set of external speakers, it does
help to have speakers connected, know what I mean. And hell it sounds good. Rock on Scott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnG7Xyq4IQ&feature=related

Happy New Year All

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#334894 - 12/28/11 12:49 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Tony Hughes]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Congratulations Guys,
be interested in what you think.

Anyone know where I could get hold of a manual?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#334896 - 12/28/11 01:18 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: rikkisbears]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Congratulations Guys,
be interested in what you think.

Download PA50 SD.It does all the exact fuctions (except for the size).

#334897 - 12/28/11 01:36 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: jamman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
As someone who has only played technics akb's, (and I STILLcurse them for leaving the market mad ), would this be a viable, considerably less expensive, way to introduce one's self to the KORG OS in case there was a change of kb in the future? juggle
Just askin'
thnx,

#334898 - 12/28/11 01:47 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Wondering if the Microarranger will sound the same as a PA60/80?

#334899 - 12/28/11 02:39 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: jamman]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: jamman
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Download PA50 SD.It does all the exact fuctions (except for the size).

Thanks Jamman.
I was able to locate a PDF of the Korg PA50 SD here. smile

btw: I had Frank check the MicroArranger for 'rootless style' chord voicing recognition on the MicroArranger, of which is included on the PA3X and later implemented on the PA2X in an OS Update. The MicroArranger & PA50 don't support this (yet), but I'm sure it could be easily added on the MicroArranger in an OS update, like it was done on the PA2X. cool fingers crossed.

#334900 - 12/28/11 02:52 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's a link to ex-member John Smies work on the new "baby arranger".
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/v...4745f7dfb5601de
DonM

#334901 - 12/28/11 03:50 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Someone has to be the "voice of reason"....it might as well be me grin

This little guy (Micro arranger) is loaded.......loaded with all the things I disliked about the older Korg arrangers smile

You guys are bored and ready to buy any in-expensive toys..

The old Korgs..to an extent the new ones too...are poor when it comes to the OS..and stage friendly...NOT!!..

The Micro and the standard pa50sd are 32 mbs of rom sample...the sounds are not great as in detail...it reminds me of the sound quality we get with the MS soft synth..(Roland clone)...in fact I think the MS synth is 24 mbs with only a GM map of tones..

The Micro will not please anyone that plays the keys..with the exception of some PSR players (use to poor key feel) smile

It may be wiser to get the standard size PA50 sd..for a couple hundred more...

The Micro is a neat novelty tool ( I didn't want to say toy)...and it is cool to have one...if you know it's merits and limitations...but I think folks have build an image that will not stand up..

The plus side it is a module size with keys...easily manageable to carry....will amaze folks that the sound is coming from a "toylike" musical instrument.....all many reasons to get one...just be realistic... a 32 mb sound rom and a outdated OS..

And my pet peave with Korg ..the 4 effect block system..another reason to pass over the Micro for me....

PS: I'll probally order mine next week.. grin

#334910 - 12/28/11 06:16 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

I chatted with Donny Pesce (Dnj) last night and he was excited that his board was arriving in the morning. I'm hoping to hear from him and will pass along any review he may give me.

Me, I'm like a little kid waiting for Santa. I really haven't bought a NEW keyboard in years. I think I bought an E09 out there a while ago, but nothing I planned to use. I'm hoping to be able to tote this baby around to church and some NH gigs. It'll be great for working upstairs instead of down. The only thing I'm not liking is the lack of a battery pack...

#334912 - 12/28/11 06:35 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Fran, we're moving from G70 to MicroA (or even PA50sd). I'm not expecting an A/B comparison, I'm expecting limitations; what'dya want for under $500. Even keyboards from 5-10 years ago have some knockout sounds and styles. The fact that you can load and edit styles and sounds is fantastic. I, and I assume many of those interested in the MicroA, am not looking for a TOTL arranger. We each have our wants and needs. I've owned a few Korg keyboards and pretty much know what kind of sounds and styles to expect. And I've played the MicroWorkstation and am knowledgeable of the mini keyboard. I'm not planning to go out with just the MicroA, a mic and an amp and play for a concert crowd, but I hope I could if I had to. Maybe it'll help me become a better organizer or editor of my music; maybe I'll play more; maybe you'll see it for sale before I leave for Florida - who knows. I'm thinking that I've thrown away more money on equipment that never worked. This will work - just fine.

#334915 - 12/28/11 10:08 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
DonM Offline

Donny will LOVE the keyboard when he gets. Then more than likely dump it in about two weeks. Stand by for a bargain!
I know you're reading this DNJ, and you can't even fight back!
smile
DonM

#334918 - 12/29/11 12:14 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Fran Carango]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Someone has to be the "voice of reason"....it might as well be me grin

This little guy (Micro arranger) is loaded.......loaded with all the things I disliked about the older Korg arrangers smile

You guys are bored and ready to buy any in-expensive toys..

The old Korgs..to an extent the new ones too...are poor when it comes to the OS..and stage friendly...NOT!!..

The Micro and the standard pa50sd are 32 mbs of rom sample...the sounds are not great as in detail...it reminds me of the sound quality we get with the MS soft synth..(Roland clone)...in fact I think the MS synth is 24 mbs with only a GM map of tones..

The Micro will not please anyone that plays the keys..with the exception of some PSR players (use to poor key feel) smile

It may be wiser to get the standard size PA50 sd..for a couple hundred more...

The Micro is a neat novelty tool ( I didn't want to say toy)...and it is cool to have one...if you know it's merits and limitations...but I think folks have build an image that will not stand up..

The plus side it is a module size with keys...easily manageable to carry....will amaze folks that the sound is coming from a "toylike" musical instrument.....all many reasons to get one...just be realistic... a 32 mb sound rom and a outdated OS..

And my pet peave with Korg ..the 4 effect block system..another reason to pass over the Micro for me....

PS: I'll probally order mine next week.. grin

Fran,

IYO what does all this say about anyone who buys one .......... ??? One word will do!

Don't think what's left of the Bee Gees would buy one but Korg are not that stupid to make something
that won't sell. I think Korg will have come up with a better company strategy than you give them credit
for. Now if Ketron had have put out such a KB I might well agree with some of what you say.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#334919 - 12/29/11 12:17 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Donny will LOVE the keyboard when he gets. Then more than likely dump it in about two weeks. Stand by for a bargain!
smile
DonM

Woops!!

#334924 - 12/29/11 05:30 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: DonM]
cassp Offline

smile
DonM

I agree with you Don, but I'm not too sure about the bargain part. Donny can't sell it for much less than it costs AND I think this is gonna be a HoT commodity for the forseeable future. Besides, Fran hasn't bought one yet...

#334936 - 12/29/11 10:29 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: DAN.2000]
jamman Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Yes, and I think there is no portamento...

There is (as RH sound-program).Will load all triton classic and LE programs (except for COMBIs).

You ‘ll have the following pros.

1.10 lbs pro arranger KB with speakers and aux input (buy your 199$ TC harmonizer and hook it up)

Actual midi ports and L/R out, sustain and assignable ins comparing to others - who have only USB to midi and Phone out/sustain in only)

3. Plays SMFs or Modified SMFs with internal sounds (yes modified ones, too- more than GM) directly from internal memory and from SD with no load time

4. Good synth engine/sounds and tons of editing (will load Triton programs)/Actual 16 trk sequencer with true edit (realtime/step) plus song recorder (they call it Backing SEQ) (record the accomp and RH notes in one pass, write it as a SMF).

5. Can rewrite all factory styles (4 variations each more than 300) including user area (can load 48 I believe), but you have SD drive –so no major issues

6. No sticking USB drives

7. arranger module with 5 octave keys (I know the size) with 4 WAY JOY STICK,(good choice that they stick to that,more useful than 2 tiny wheels on other micro series, which is unpractical becaue of the thick hard ware borders limiting the quick travel of wheels for simutaneous use of both)( try that with PSR s 650 which has no Mod wheel) ( did I mention speakers and 10 lbs only?) meaning you can create , edit songs anywhere without a computer or space issues.

Cons will be

1. 2 fills and some issues with fills (same old PA 80 BOARD)

2. Muti-pads won’t play loops (no OS update can’t do it either)

3. Styles somewhat busy and over orchestrated compared to mid Yammies ( PSR S series)

4. Small keys ( I would still take the keys than no keys at all)

5. Can't be battery powered ( well, you can have it all)

The same functions /sound board as PA50SD , so you can check the manual.

http://www.korgpa.com/en/support/products/arrangers/pa50sd/pa50sd-manuals.html

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/331202/1

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread...rang#Post331642

This will be a good addition of Korg sounds on top of any Yammy S series or Tyros.

Edited by jamman (12/29/11 11:00 AM)

#334937 - 12/29/11 11:21 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: jamman]
jamman Offline

http://www.korgpa.com/en/support/products/arrangers/pa50sd/pa50sd-manuals.html

Go to page 144 for style and sound list.

Yammy conversions from Irish acts are OK.The main problem is 2 fills.

#334946 - 12/30/11 12:37 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: DonM]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
smile
DonM

Well the time is well up on his ban ... but I never received an apology, request for reinstatement or assurance his offensive comments would not occur again so the ban remains in place until all 3 conditions are met. Maybe that is asking the impossible ... if so, so be it.

#334976 - 12/30/11 07:47 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

OK, my Micro arrived this afternoon, but because of company and other commitments I've only gotten a little over an hour into this thing. Let me say first that this is NO TOY in any way, shape or form. It is playable right out of the box, but if you want your special features you better know your Korg OS or start learning quickly. This is a full-blown arranger, ala PA50 SD. The keys are the main difference and will attract all the questions. I kept trying to tell myself that they would be like accordion keys, but no way. They are true mini-keys; a little stubby but fat enough to play easily. Good feel. As some early reviews from across the ocean have said, the velocity curves are tight and nuances on piano and other touch sensitive sounds are difficult.

Only being slightly familiar with the OS kept me from performing some songs as I would have liked, but the styles were great and they reminded me of my ol'iX300, only better - some were even inspiring. I'm still trying to get balances right and make voice changes within programs. I briefly tried loading and playing along with some of my SMFs, but that's where I hit a wall. Trying to figure out how to load a song was not as easy I expected and it doesn't seem like there is a dedicated channel or two for right hand sounds except CH 1 - I'll need help in this area. Also haven't even touched the two sequencer concept with its balance slider...

That's about it for my first hour. I'd say I made a good decision and will sooner or later take it out for a spin to a NH job. For $499 or less you can't go wrong unless you absolutely can't stand 1) mini keys or 2) any Korg. BTW, DNJ says he's gotten about two hours in so far and has very similar feelings. He's owned a couple Korgs so he's a little more comfortable with the OS. His quote to me was, "Cass, this thing is DEEP..." But he hasn't loaded any SMFs yet. Hopefully he and I will learn this monkey together. If you buy it as a sound module, I'll bet you start using the keyboard sooner and more often than you think. * * * *

#334980 - 12/30/11 09:39 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Nigel]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Nigel
smile
DonM

Well the time is well up on his ban ... but I never received an apology, request for reinstatement or assurance his offensive comments would not occur again so the ban remains in place until all 3 conditions are met. Maybe that is asking the impossible ... if so, so be it.

I had the sneaking suspicion DNJ was banned. Has Dicki been banished also?

#334986 - 12/30/11 11:11 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Mark79100]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

I had the sneaking suspicion DNJ was banned. Has Dicki been banished also?

It's simple ... act like a jerk ... get treated like one. If I don't receive an apology or assurance the behavior won't be repeated then there is nothing for me to reconsider. These bans were never a secret. They were announced on the threads where the behavior occurred.

#334997 - 12/31/11 03:56 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Hi Everyone…..

Frank at AUDIO WORKS in Milford Connecticut http://www.audioworksct.com/ really came thru again & I highly recommend dealing with him in any of your your future gear buying needs for sure!! I have the Micro Arranger here in my studio and was able to finally get a hour or so to sit down and play it…my initial thoughts were skeptical as how can a
9lb arranger KB really sound, YES I said 9lbs!.. OMG how wonderful to carry around and at $499.00?……well those thoughts were quickly squashed as to my amazement this unit is really impressive in so many ways.
It comes with a Quick start manual & a CD owners manual/restore data disc also… first off don’t expect the on-board speakers to blow you away because they don’t as expected. but put on some good headphones or plug the unit into some good monitors or powered speakers etc, and you will be a believer. As for the bewilderment of the mini keys that also was answered as soon as I played the kb….yes, they are mini box keys but they are just shorter then regular keys but the width of the
white /black keys is just enough to make it comfortable to play, with nice action also…after a while you get used to it and don’t even realize it which makes all the difference…somehow KORG did it right and this unit has a quality feel to it also …nice rubber buttons with great placement location for easy navigation while playing too, firm sliders, big bright display screen . Some really nice features too like a manual bass button, & bass Inversion, +/- transpose, & octave buttons on deck too…….I went thru all the styles and I’d say for my performance needs on stage there is about 70% usable factory styles right out of the box…some are hidden with different names that makes you wonder why they did that but you can always edit & change the names as with KORGS you can change almost everything on the KB…the quality of the styles & most of the sounds really impressed me ……super Organs with great Leslie EFX using the joy stick, Guitars, excellent Pianos, Elec Pianos, Saxes are very good expect the Growl Sax which I didn’t care for at all compared top my Yamaha S910, and Trumpets, Brass, Flutes,…Accordions, Harmonicas were on mark too…The styles really have a “LIVE” sound to them also with a nice progression thru the variations too..Right out of the box you can go gig with this baby no problem………
There is MUCH more to discover and I will try to express my thoughts as I go along with all of you just a bit busy gigging till NYE …..
KORG will sell a ton of these for sure.

Happy New Year to All Very Happy

#334999 - 12/31/11 04:44 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny

Congratulations on your new Korg!! smile Welcome back! Happy New Year!

#335005 - 12/31/11 07:57 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: jamman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
This thing sounds too good to be true. Is it for real or are you guys in the "Honeymoon Stage" of a new toy? I hope its as good as you think and works out for you all who bought it. Tiny keys are definately out for my big hands and I'm leaning towards a Casio PX3 with a Roland BK7M module so I can feel like I'm playing a solid keyboard. A question---
If this is the same as the PA50SD why not just go with that and get full keys, is it price?
Happy Healthy New Year to all and their families and friends.

#335008 - 12/31/11 08:14 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The PA50SD tips the scales at just over 24-pounds, and sells for about $150 more. So, I guess the extra inch on the keys adds a fair amount of weight, and about 30 percent to the price over the micro.

Welcome back to the forum, Donny,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#335010 - 12/31/11 08:41 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Tiny keys are definately out for my big hands and I'm leaning towards a Casio PX3 with a Roland BK7M module so I can feel like I'm playing a solid keyboard. A question---
If this is the same as the PA50SD why not just go with that and get full keys, is it price?

Having had a lot of experience with Yamaha's PSS series, which use similar small keys, it's not just the tinier size that is a problem (for me-I have large hands), but it's going back playing on a "normal" size keyboard that will be a real issue for most players.

Small keys are extremely bad for your technique, but, if the Micro Arranger is the only instrument you play, it will probably be just peachy.

There is also the well known issue with the shorter throw keys not being very good for velocity sensitive piano type voices.

If you plan on gigging with it, you still need to take a stand, foot switches, powered speakers (unless you're playing in a very small room) and there is also "the look" you have to deal with, as most people will think it is a toy.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that most "keyboard players" will use this product for a while, and then get back to something with normal size keys.

A 24 lb PA-50SD makes a whole lot more sense to me...the weight couldn't possibly be an issue (so it's probably a money thing), and it would be far easier to play.

In any case, it would be far more logical (in my opinion) to use the Micro Arranger as a module, controlled by an instrument with regular sized keys. Of course, then you will need a double tier stand, and will have to deal with longer setup/breakdown times.

I certainly wish the new owners all the best of luck with their instrument...it does sound very good, indeed (like a PA-50D). wink

Ian

#335012 - 12/31/11 09:03 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Happy New Year Donny, welcome back. When you are ready to dump the Korg in two weeks I'll give you 299 and a breakfast for it. smile

Tom

Tom

#335023 - 12/31/11 12:05 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Thank you everyone..Happy New Year to All....

I'm going to take the Micro arranger on it's maiden voyage at tonight's Big New Years Eve Dinner & Dance should be fun.

I've also been graciously helped with all my KORG questions and advice from John Smies, who btw has a wonderful website
NEW 2012 RESOURCES FOR KORG Keyboards check it out.

http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/

Everyone have a safe holiday!

#335024 - 12/31/11 12:19 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
DonM Offline

Thanks Nigel, it's good to have DNJ back.
Be nice DNJ!!
DonM

#335028 - 12/31/11 12:35 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Fran Carango Offline

I have a chance to purchase a Korg i30 from the original owner...very clean condition.......or the micro arranger..for about the same money....

What do you guys (gals) think...what would serve me better?

The i30 was the top model and has a hard drive from around 1998...the Micro is designed around the 2000 Pa80 engine...

Resale is still high in value for the i30...and everyone wants the newly interesting Micro...so I can dump either one without any pain...

Or should I just be content with what I have already...and have a waffle with icecream... smile

Edited by Fran Carango (12/31/11 12:36 PM)

#335044 - 12/31/11 06:06 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Fran - you're fishin' with no bait. You know you want the Micro. You've got/had everything else. There are no real surprises with the Micro except for its size. It has all the pros and cons of a PA50 SD. If you prefer the i30 over a PA50 then go that way.
@ Ian - I think of the Micro as a thinkpad and very light dynamite arranger. The one thing the Micro does have me thinking about is switching my big board to a PA800. I don't think players will give up their bigger rigs for the Micro, but why sell it for, say $350 in a couple months? It's a damn good package.

Happy New Year to All!

#335045 - 12/31/11 06:18 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Cas,
korgs are aa bit of a learning curve, but well worth it in the long run.

I've been a korg pa800 owner for over 3 years, and every now & again , I still discover something new.
Never ceases to amaze what is doable.
[quote=cassp]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#335049 - 12/31/11 08:28 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
just wondering if someone could send me an ORIGINAL Microarranger style ( Jazz or Ballad ( with guitar & piano tracks). Basically just want to study it to see if it would be possible to make early ( pre guitar mode) pa800 style backward compatible.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#335053 - 01/01/12 01:40 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: travlin'easy]
jamman Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The PA50SD tips the scales at just over 24-pounds, and sells for about $150 more. So, I guess the extra inch on the keys adds a fair amount of weight, and about 30 percent to the price over the micro.

Welcome back to the forum, Donny,

Gary cool

Microstation will get away with size and weight( since there is no competition - great practice/smf player/song recoder) as a second keyboard , but pa 50 sd ( year 2000 technology) will start to show yout it's limitations ( terrible keys/ 2 busy fills/not good enough 4/4 simple styles compared to Yamaha) and annoy you as a main arranger and you will want to get rid of it very quickly.
Most will spend $ 250 more and ger S700/710 for excellent style support.Even though Mictrostations limitations are obvious, you will still want to keep it because of it's over all versatility price/weight/size/SMF play/Seq/KB in a band. I hope the sales of Microstation will put Yamaha to make mini S700 for same price wilth full features/outs/2 wheels.

#335061 - 01/01/12 07:43 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Brought in the New Year 2012 with the Micro Arranger!

Attachments
NYE2012.jpg

Description: Korg Micro Arranger On Stage NYE Party

#335065 - 01/01/12 09:51 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Donny,

They are all dancing and no ones playing, how does the Korg do that? I have got to have one now!

Tony

#335066 - 01/01/12 09:55 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Donny,

They are all dancing and no ones playing, how does the Korg do that? I have got to have one now!

Tony

Like I always said... you gotta mix it up playing, singing, Dj'ing ..it's all good.

#335067 - 01/01/12 10:00 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Donny,

What's the pecentage of each, looks like some are on waltz and some on hip hop!

It's all organ stops out, now you are back Donny!

Tony

#335068 - 01/01/12 10:24 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Donny,

What's the pecentage of each, looks like some are on waltz and some on hip hop!

It's all organ stops out, now you are back Donny!

Tony

Hi Tony.....yes every job, every day, is different in today's gigging world, it's not like years ago, "pre DJ",.. you need a FULL tool box to accommodate the masses out there in every situation. No one wants to hear "Party Rock Anthem" on an arranger KB..lol.... I pretty much can do it all using my gear in various ways. Happy New Year across the pond!

#335070 - 01/01/12 11:02 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Tony Hughes]
ianmcnll Offline

What's the pecentage of each...

Tony

I managed to do my New Year's gig with 100% use of the arranger, and, I play all instrumentals, so it was a real challenge.

But, that's where all the hard practice, style making/editing, and conjuring up interesting arrangements can make all the difference.

I managed to keep the dance floor full throughout the evening, even with instrumentals, so there was a lot of personal satisfaction in being able to accomplish something like that, without needing to resort to keyboard karaoke-using SMF or some other way.

I could have stuck a bunch of MP3's on a memory stick and had the Tyros4 play them, but there is absolutely no joy in DJ'ing for me.

The fun (and the objective) has, and always will, be in the playing.

Ian

#335075 - 01/01/12 12:47 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

What's the pecentage of each...

Tony

I managed to do my New Year's gig with 100% use of the arranger, and, I play all instrumentals, so it was a real challenge.

But, that's where all the hard practice, style making/editing, and conjuring up interesting arrangements can make all the difference.

I managed to keep the dance floor full throughout the evening, even with instrumentals, so there was a lot of personal satisfaction in being able to accomplish something like that, without needing to resort to keyboard karaoke-using SMF or some other way.

I could have stuck a bunch of MP3's on a memory stick and had the Tyros4 play them, but there is absolutely no joy in DJ'ing for me.

The fun (and the objective) has, and always will, be in the playing.

Ian

Ian, as primarily an instrumentalist myself (most of my years I performed without my own vocals)..I understand the personal satisfaction you are talking about, although for me the satifaction comes from turning off the auto arranger (not much different from SMF play, no matter how much you argue the point smile )

I can only think how boring it could get (especially a NYE party) with just arranger play and NO vocals..Too much of any style without diversity could get boring or say less interesting...

As for playing "karaoke keyboard"... there are many other guys and gals here that sing and sing well..singing to a SMF is an ideal way to perform for them....and if they play keys too, playing over SMF's can be just as rewarding as just playing arranger mode...in fact I would say the talent level to play over SMF's can easily exceed the level of arranger play...not always, but it surely could...

Last nights gig we used a drummer (live kind), and I do like playing left hand bass with piano etc...
unfotunately my band members are use to (spoiled) the "karaoke keyboard" method...Using my Roland keyboard(G70) to perform this method is enjoyable because it allows better ways to mix the play with markers, and the best on the fly edibility...stil unmatched by any other brand...showing chords , lyrics and a view of all parts quickly....MP3 play of my recorded tunes is convenient (also allowing back ground vocals)..is a bit less flexible and I find it harder to play over them, especially a request we don't usually perform...

Thankfully I have the right keyboard for me....a board that allows me to change it up....and it also aids me with my limited vocal ability...using the smartest vocalizer that will follow style play, or SMF, with auto read ability...and the "vocoder" mode is tops of any other vocalizer , even the stand a lones...

I think a wider view of exceptance is in order....I think most folks here would agree that a mix of the tools makes a more enjoyable gig for our customers.. cool

#335077 - 01/01/12 01:27 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I can only think how boring it could get (especially a NYE party) with just arranger play and NO vocals..Too much of any style without diversity could get boring or say less interesting...

I think a wider view of exceptance is in order....I think most folks here would agree that a mix of the tools makes a more enjoyable gig for our customers.. cool

Well, I can only go by the comments I received during and after the gig, and, if I was to take stock in them (and I do), the performance was anything but boring.

Not having the luxury as you do of having a vocalist, I have to find other ways of making the playing interesting, and I do manage do be able to do quite well, at least so far...I get a lot of return requests.

I don't just sit there and play one tune after the other...I use a microphone and interact with the crowd. Many years of doing Yamaha clinics have helped me tremendously with working with an audience.

Fran, I do have a very wide view of "acceptance" for what other arranger players use to perform...my comments are/were restricted to my own needs, and in the case of playing, my own pleasures as well.

Use what works for you...I personally would find playing over a commercial SMF very boring indeed, and as far as DJ'ing, well...it would be about as exciting as mother's day in an orphanage.

DJ'ing isn't "playing"...it's "DJ'ing"...I cringe when I hear a DJ say he was "playing last night", or whatever...personally, it's no more "playing" than using a CD player at home...the only skill involved is "working" the crowd (certainly handy for anyone who performs), and a half-decent knowledge of what music will work for a certain age group, but, it most certainly is not "playing"!

Again, these are my personal opinions.

I play lots of times without the arranger on full...I often use LH bass (comes from many years of piano/organ playing), and fortunately, I have a really awesome sounding arranger in the Tyros4, so if it sounds bad, it is not the instrument's fault.

"Karaoke" keyboarding, such as singing over a commercial SMF, is only one step away from singing over an MP3 of a tune with the vocal track removed...at that point, it is just "singing" (or "performing vocally") and certainly not "keyboard playing" in any sense of the word.

I don't have a problem with how other arranger "players" perform. I do have a set of parameters that I work within, and they aren't for everybody, but, they do bring great personal satisfaction and pleasure to me.

Ian

#335092 - 01/01/12 06:12 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

I think that the fact we all can use our arrangers as we choose is the key element. I envy people who can play solo or use styles as seamlessly as having a live drummer. I use more SMFs than styles. I do a decent job with styles but I'm no virtuoso. My strength is in my vocals and personal styling. I don't play like Ian, Fran, Donny, Scott or anyone else, but I enjoy it and feel I do a better than average job. :):):)

#335093 - 01/01/12 06:16 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Getting back on the topic of the Micro: It's amazing what one can learn if he reads the manual. Sometimes it doesn't make immediate sense, but might kick in hours or days later all on its own. As for technology that's approaching being ten yrs old, there are still tons of G70's, PSR2000's and even Korg i's. It's not what you play, it how you play...

#335094 - 01/01/12 06:49 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
ianmcnll Offline

I think that the fact we all can use our arrangers as we choose is the key element.

True, Cassp...it is far wiser to identify with others, rather than compare.

I admire people that can sing, like you, DonM, Donny, Scott, just to name a few...and, as it's been said many times here, it is the result that matters, not the method.

However, I still prefer to work within the parameters I have set for myself; it's not that they are better (or worse) than what others use, but they are the ones that give me the most personal satisfaction.

Ian

#335159 - 01/02/12 05:26 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
Scottyee Offline

Getting back on the topic of the Micro: It's amazing what one can learn if he reads the manual. Sometimes it doesn't make immediate sense, but might kick in hours or days later all on its own.

Cass, I definitely agree with you. cool

Because the MicroArranger's gonna be my first Korg brand "arranger" ever owned (my last Korgs were Synths (707 & 01WFD),
I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of the manual so have been busy as a beaver reading & working to absorb everything I can cover to cover before mine arrives.

Korg's OS and way of doing things is distinctively different than on Yamaha arrangers (which I've played for over 10 years), so I initially didn't undertand Korg's naming conventions but after having to re-read a few sections of the manual, I finally figured out that a Korg 'Program' is what Yamaha refers to as a 'voice', and that a Korg "Performance' is what Yamaha refers to as an individual "Registration". There are a number of other OS & operational differences as well, but once I was able to keep an open mind to Korg's conventions and methods, it finally makes sense, and I now appreciate the advantages of both Yamaha & Korg's different approaches and ways of doing things. I'm already discovering some Korg features missing on the Tyros 4 I know I'm going to appreciate on the MicroArranger, like the ability to assign chord recognition to 'either' the left or the upper section of the keyboard, allowing one to play LH manual bass lines while in auto accomp mode. Yamaha doesn't support that. The other cool feature missing on Yamaha arrangers is Korg's dual sequencer. Listening to the MicroArranger demos, I think I'm also going to appreciate "BOTH" Korg's smooth jazz(?) type sounds/styles as a nice option/compliment to my Yam T4's more traditional polished sound. It's going to be nice to have 'both' worlds of sounds to choose from.
That said, I'm going to reserve my opinion about the MicroArranger until I've actually had a chance to play it a bit.
Ok, time to get back to that MicroArranger manual again. I hope to have it read cover to cover by the time the little MicroArranger arrives.
How much I actually absorb by then though will be anybody's guess. coffee

Scott

#335251 - 01/03/12 08:13 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Continuing to run thru my set lists and finding that Performances (registrations) seem more important/beneficial on the Micro than on the s910. In my laziness I have never established or used registrations on any of my Yamahas. I did see a possible need on the G70/60, but this little Micro will definitely benifit me more if I set up performances. Maybe this will encourage me to make some regs on the s910, but I've gotten along well without them, I think...

On another note, I still haven't figured out the two sequencers. Even after going thru the tutorial twice, that procedure escaped me. Also, it's important to learn your way around the controls. Fow some reason many seem to be more confusing, and getting in/out/to/from other screens is still a work in progress.

#335254 - 01/03/12 09:24 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Scottyee]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Scott ,
you're a brave soul, trying to figure out the manual without having the keyboard in front of you.

I had a quick peek. Most of the functions are very similar to my PA800/PA3X. Unfortunately I'm a hands on user, I actually need to be able to push the buttons & see the result for me to make sense of it.

I've been debating with myself, do I really need Korg no 3. haahaa

Look Forward to your reveiw when it arrives.

Edited by rikkisbears (01/03/12 09:24 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#335269 - 01/04/12 06:06 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Rikki, I still haven't figured out how to extract a .sty file from the micro. The best I can do is save "sets" to the SD card. Still working on it. Maybe some of these younger minds can find it when they get their MicroArrangers.

#335282 - 01/04/12 10:43 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Scottyee]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott you wrote;
I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of the manual so have been busy as a beaver reading & working to absorb everything I can cover to cover before mine arrives.
(Korg Micro Arranger)

Where can I get a copy of the manual?

John C.

#335283 - 01/04/12 10:56 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Scottyee Offline

Hi John, you've got mail. smile
I Trust your email server accepts 13mb+ file attachments.
- Scott

#335295 - 01/04/12 12:55 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Bob Hendershot]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bob,
thank you for trying.
Maybe if I can get that picture of the keyboard large enough, I may be able to see the buttons that the manual refers to, & make a bit more sense of the instructions.

Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Rikki, I still haven't figured out how to extract a .sty file from the micro. The best I can do is save "sets" to the SD card. Still working on it. Maybe some of these younger minds can find it when they get their MicroArrangers.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online