SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#335005 - 12/31/11 07:57 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: jamman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
This thing sounds too good to be true. Is it for real or are you guys in the "Honeymoon Stage" of a new toy? I hope its as good as you think and works out for you all who bought it. Tiny keys are definately out for my big hands and I'm leaning towards a Casio PX3 with a Roland BK7M module so I can feel like I'm playing a solid keyboard. A question---
If this is the same as the PA50SD why not just go with that and get full keys, is it price?
Happy Healthy New Year to all and their families and friends.

#335008 - 12/31/11 08:14 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The PA50SD tips the scales at just over 24-pounds, and sells for about $150 more. So, I guess the extra inch on the keys adds a fair amount of weight, and about 30 percent to the price over the micro.

Welcome back to the forum, Donny,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#335010 - 12/31/11 08:41 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Tiny keys are definately out for my big hands and I'm leaning towards a Casio PX3 with a Roland BK7M module so I can feel like I'm playing a solid keyboard. A question---
If this is the same as the PA50SD why not just go with that and get full keys, is it price?

Having had a lot of experience with Yamaha's PSS series, which use similar small keys, it's not just the tinier size that is a problem (for me-I have large hands), but it's going back playing on a "normal" size keyboard that will be a real issue for most players.

Small keys are extremely bad for your technique, but, if the Micro Arranger is the only instrument you play, it will probably be just peachy.

There is also the well known issue with the shorter throw keys not being very good for velocity sensitive piano type voices.

If you plan on gigging with it, you still need to take a stand, foot switches, powered speakers (unless you're playing in a very small room) and there is also "the look" you have to deal with, as most people will think it is a toy.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that most "keyboard players" will use this product for a while, and then get back to something with normal size keys.

A 24 lb PA-50SD makes a whole lot more sense to me...the weight couldn't possibly be an issue (so it's probably a money thing), and it would be far easier to play.

In any case, it would be far more logical (in my opinion) to use the Micro Arranger as a module, controlled by an instrument with regular sized keys. Of course, then you will need a double tier stand, and will have to deal with longer setup/breakdown times.

I certainly wish the new owners all the best of luck with their instrument...it does sound very good, indeed (like a PA-50D). wink

Ian

#335012 - 12/31/11 09:03 AM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Happy New Year Donny, welcome back. When you are ready to dump the Korg in two weeks I'll give you 299 and a breakfast for it. smile

Tom

Tom

#335023 - 12/31/11 12:05 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Thank you everyone..Happy New Year to All....

I'm going to take the Micro arranger on it's maiden voyage at tonight's Big New Years Eve Dinner & Dance should be fun.

I've also been graciously helped with all my KORG questions and advice from John Smies, who btw has a wonderful website
NEW 2012 RESOURCES FOR KORG Keyboards check it out.

http://pasounds.intropagina.nl/

Everyone have a safe holiday!

#335024 - 12/31/11 12:19 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Nigel, it's good to have DNJ back.
Be nice DNJ!!
DonM

#335028 - 12/31/11 12:35 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a chance to purchase a Korg i30 from the original owner...very clean condition.......or the micro arranger..for about the same money....

What do you guys (gals) think...what would serve me better?

The i30 was the top model and has a hard drive from around 1998...the Micro is designed around the 2000 Pa80 engine...

Resale is still high in value for the i30...and everyone wants the newly interesting Micro...so I can dump either one without any pain...

Or should I just be content with what I have already...and have a waffle with icecream... smile

Edited by Fran Carango (12/31/11 12:36 PM)

#335044 - 12/31/11 06:06 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: frankieve]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran - you're fishin' with no bait. You know you want the Micro. You've got/had everything else. There are no real surprises with the Micro except for its size. It has all the pros and cons of a PA50 SD. If you prefer the i30 over a PA50 then go that way.
@ Ian - I think of the Micro as a thinkpad and very light dynamite arranger. The one thing the Micro does have me thinking about is switching my big board to a PA800. I don't think players will give up their bigger rigs for the Micro, but why sell it for, say $350 in a couple months? It's a damn good package.

Happy New Year to All!

#335045 - 12/31/11 06:18 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: cassp]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Cas,
korgs are aa bit of a learning curve, but well worth it in the long run.

I've been a korg pa800 owner for over 3 years, and every now & again , I still discover something new.
Never ceases to amaze what is doable.
[quote=cassp]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#335049 - 12/31/11 08:28 PM Re: Korg Microarrangers have just landed [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
just wondering if someone could send me an ORIGINAL Microarranger style ( Jazz or Ballad ( with guitar & piano tracks). Basically just want to study it to see if it would be possible to make early ( pre guitar mode) pa800 style backward compatible.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online