Double Post

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-18-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33473 - 05/19/08 03:05 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I truly enjoy using the SD5 and can't wait for Audya. To my ears no other arranger has the authentic-sounding drums and bass sound of Ketron.
Also, the solo instruments sound amazingly real.
DonM

#33474 - 05/19/08 08:49 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I enjoy Them too, actually i have few of them
now, not SD5s but i mean few Ketrons at once:
SD5, SD2, SX3000, possibly XD9 and of course AUDYA.
This all came into my hand in one single day
and actually was my first time dealing with
Ketron after programming many years for KORG.
They are very nice but i agree and dissagree
on few things with DonM but hey, i am still new here.

Salute

#33475 - 05/20/08 09:21 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nedim,
Please post your impressions good/bad so far with SD5. Please compare to other kb's also...Especially PA2
Thanks,
Lee

#33476 - 06/30/08 04:26 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
MrMelody55 Offline

Loc: Tustin, CA, US
Hi,

I have been a Synthzone member for a long time but hardly post any comment, so naturally I'm still a Junior. I just got a SD5 for about 3 weeks now and here's my take.

Everything is wonderful if this keyboard is your first Ketron. However, I am quite disapointed since I have been an owner of the X1 for many years and really love it. I'm going to only list the cons that I feel about this new toy:

1) I'd rather select the styles by entering numbers between A and B instead of having to access them through the styles buttons. Because once you own the keyboard for so long, the numbers are memorized and can be easily set while performing live.
2) Some of the intros and endings from the SD5 suck comparing to the X1.
3) The SD5 is missing so many nice styles that I really love from the X1.
4) The X1 has the stereo line in so you can plug in another audio source such as another keyboard or CD player... Why take this away?
5) The SD5 also miss some great human voices that you can find in the drums part to insert to a midi song. But when I transfered some songs that I created with the X1, I no longer hear them. Why take things like this away?
6) The "leslie" organ sounds much better on the X1.
7) Some styles are not well mixed and the warm string or organ is extremely loud.
8) Using the "Key Start" button to set the screen to the song list is great. But you keep having to reset it while performing. Why not create another button?
9) Finding a different drum style to change to a midi song is too much trouble when you hit a voice button and the screen changes.
10) The X1 has 3 "fill" buttons. The SD5 has only one so you must have a pedal to access them. Otherwise you'd have to rely on the "Jump" button.
11) I still can't figure out where they hide the basic GM voices yet. During my first performce with this SD5, I could not reach the "Orchestra Hit" sound, because it's not in the string group.
12) When I attempted to load some styles from the X1 to the SD5, it does not let me send to the group of styles that I want. Also the mix is pretty weird when transferred to the SD5.
13) I like some of the Disco styles from the SD5 but the techno styles still suck. When I loaded a midi techno song that I did with the X1, the whole drum part disappears so I had to do the whole thing all over again.

There is much more that I will soon discover. I am sure the SD5 is a great keyboard, and I enjoy some of the new features. But I was hoping it would have been a much better improvement to the X1. Instead I have a feeling like it's a completely different keyboard. I was going to sell the X1 but I think I'm going to keep it because at least for now, I don't think that the SD5 can replace it. The worst thing that Ketron did with this keyboard is the old fashin floppy drive instead of the USB port. Why??? I think the main purpose is to make you pay for the hard drive, otherwise you can easiy plug in an external drive.

Thanks for reading my comments.
MM

#33477 - 07/10/08 02:40 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
MM, I must agree with you on many of the points you made. There are workarounds you can do, but I found that several operations are more complex than on X1 or SD1.
I am now using Midjay with a keyboard controller. It is SO easy to operate and sounds much the same.
Of course there are drawbacks to it too, but all in all I am extremely happy using the Midjay. This is actually my third time around using it as my primary arranger. I will stay with it unless the Audya blows me away when and if it ever arrives.
I find it necessary for my purposes to use an external vocal harmonizer with the Midjay. I got the new Harmony M unit yesterday and LOVE it so far. There is a post about it on the General Arranger Forum.
DonM

#33478 - 07/11/08 01:59 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey Don!
Absolutly agree with Midjay!
I'm playing it for more than 6 months, but since june when I start touring hotels I didn't use it at full power..I mean I been playing with a fellow haveing SD1...so I just play guitars.Now I'm using a Roland piano just for controler and everything from Midjay..styles and tones.Is really working great I get familiar with all reactions and is for sure my next main module for many years!
I see that you bought a vocalist...I was thinking to buy Digitech live..couse I'm playing lots of songs with guitar....maybe if you have time record for us some demos.
BTW I remember we've been talking about the internal vocalist board for Midjay...did you have one?
Vio

#33479 - 04/27/10 09:44 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Cosmik Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I fully agree. The X1 is superior to the SD5 in sound, arrangements and how well balanced the left and right parts blend.

I saw the SD5 on ebay and assumed that it would be an improved, expanded version of the X1. Whatever is better on the SD5 however cannot compensate for the rest.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMelody55:
Hi,

I have been a Synthzone member for a long time but hardly post any comment, so naturally I'm still a Junior. I just got a SD5 for about 3 weeks now and here's my take.

Everything is wonderful if this keyboard is your first Ketron. However, I am quite disapointed since I have been an owner of the X1 for many years and really love it. I'm going to only list the cons that I feel about this new toy:

1) I'd rather select the styles by entering numbers between A and B instead of having to access them through the styles buttons. Because once you own the keyboard for so long, the numbers are memorized and can be easily set while performing live.
2) Some of the intros and endings from the SD5 suck comparing to the X1.
3) The SD5 is missing so many nice styles that I really love from the X1.
4) The X1 has the stereo line in so you can plug in another audio source such as another keyboard or CD player... Why take this away?
5) The SD5 also miss some great human voices that you can find in the drums part to insert to a midi song. But when I transfered some songs that I created with the X1, I no longer hear them. Why take things like this away?
6) The "leslie" organ sounds much better on the X1.
7) Some styles are not well mixed and the warm string or organ is extremely loud.
8) Using the "Key Start" button to set the screen to the song list is great. But you keep having to reset it while performing. Why not create another button?
9) Finding a different drum style to change to a midi song is too much trouble when you hit a voice button and the screen changes.
10) The X1 has 3 "fill" buttons. The SD5 has only one so you must have a pedal to access them. Otherwise you'd have to rely on the "Jump" button.
11) I still can't figure out where they hide the basic GM voices yet. During my first performce with this SD5, I could not reach the "Orchestra Hit" sound, because it's not in the string group.
12) When I attempted to load some styles from the X1 to the SD5, it does not let me send to the group of styles that I want. Also the mix is pretty weird when transferred to the SD5.
13) I like some of the Disco styles from the SD5 but the techno styles still suck. When I loaded a midi techno song that I did with the X1, the whole drum part disappears so I had to do the whole thing all over again.

There is much more that I will soon discover. I am sure the SD5 is a great keyboard, and I enjoy some of the new features. But I was hoping it would have been a much better improvement to the X1. Instead I have a feeling like it's a completely different keyboard. I was going to sell the X1 but I think I'm going to keep it because at least for now, I don't think that the SD5 can replace it. The worst thing that Ketron did with this keyboard is the old fashin floppy drive instead of the USB port. Why??? I think the main purpose is to make you pay for the hard drive, otherwise you can easiy plug in an external drive.

Thanks for reading my comments.
MM

#33480 - 05/01/10 02:57 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Sandi Offline

Hy Guys!
I read your comments and in some things I agree with you.They took a lot of good things away.That's shure.But I play the Ms50 for a 5 years then buy the Sd1 and the sound is away better on Sd1.You can play on stage 1 song with Ms50 and another with Sd1.It's to different.The same thing is with the Sd5 or Audya.When I play on audya and then on Sd1 the Sd1 sounds like a Casio.
So You can tell that the X1 or Ms50 is better than a Sd5.Maybe you don't like it but this is a different story.
For the features you are right.I miss some of them very much.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online