SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#334459 - 12/15/11 03:17 AM ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Apparently I'm still lost....

#334460 - 12/15/11 03:30 AM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Rfinnshw]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
grin Hilarious grin

#334461 - 12/15/11 03:33 AM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Rfinnshw]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Now that is funny, and sad.
Never happened to me while I was plumbing, even though I lived next door to the largest cemetery in OZ!!
Ray dance

#334464 - 12/15/11 09:36 AM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Rfinnshw]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Brilliant...

#334477 - 12/15/11 11:10 PM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Rfinnshw]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is wonderfull that you did that under the circumstances. I am sure he heard you as well.

#334614 - 12/21/11 04:12 PM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Rfinnshw]
124 Offline

Wild! At least we know there's one happily buried septic tank. I'll bet it's full of it.

#334624 - 12/21/11 11:39 PM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: 124]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Wild! At least we know there's one happily buried septic tank. I'll bet it's full of it.

LOL now there's some Strine that will probably go over most people's heads wink

#334646 - 12/22/11 12:27 PM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
In the early 80's, I was a communications manager for a large electrical company. There was a problem at a plant in Columbia S.C., so I asked by assistant to get me tickets there after I finished my gig.

She delivered the tickets to me, and I left for my gig. When done, I headed to the airport and caught the flight.

There were several stops and, at about 3:00 AM, we were asked to deplane for cleaning. As I walked around this deserted airport, I finally realized that I was on a many legged flight to Columbia Missouri, not S.C. I was stuck for a 2 hour cleaning stop in the St. Louis airport.!

Dumb-assed ME!

R.

#334653 - 12/22/11 02:36 PM Re: ¿ Ever show up @ the wrong gig site? Chuckle [Re: Rfinnshw]
124 Offline

Yeah, it happens to me all the time Nigel. crazy

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Russ! Don't feel bad about it, mate. There's been more than a few people who, thinking they'd booked a holiday in Sydney, NSW, ended up in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Now, before Ian McNeill, our resident Caper, rushes to Sydney, NS's defence, I should say I've been there a couple of times (not on a misplaced holiday, I'd add) and a fine town it is.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online