SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33462 - 02/13/08 08:58 AM Ketron SD5 - first impressions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I received this new keyboard late Monday. I unboxed it and spent a couple hours with it Monday night, then about 5 hours with it Tuesday.
I got quite comfortable with it, having some experience with the operating system-very similar to the SD1, so I took it to the job Tuesday night.
So far, I like it even more than I expected. I didn't even realize quite how much I missed that LIVE drum and bass sound.
The SD5 has added some sounds that had to be loaded each time on the SD1, such as Growl Sax. It also has that wonderful Strat sound that was first introduced on the Midjay. It sounds even better on the SD5.
My unit does not yet have a hard drive, and my computer doesn't have a floppy drive, and I no longer have the connecting serial cable, so right now I am limited to the styles and sounds on the keyboard itself.
They should include the serial cable with all units, in my opinion.
The SD5 comes compete with 160 registrations, and they are very well done. Access to them is very easy, as there are 16 assignable buttons immediately above the left hand. The buttons are called Multi-tabs, and they in the Registration mode they come pre-programmed with Registrations. If the Registation light is on, you press the category of the genre you want, such as Swing, then the buttons become quick access to 16 Swing registrations. Of course they can be altered, replaced, erased, etc.
In addition to these registrations, it is very easy to create more, that can be accessed by entering numbers. Before going to work I modified several banks of registrations to suit my preferred fingering mode and split points, and choice of lead sounds.
Another form of registration, Single, is also available, but they must be saved to Hard Drive or Floppy. I used this quite extensively with the SD1, and most likely will here too after I install a Hard Drive.
A neat feature is that if you have a style and a text file and/or a midi file in the same folder, calling up the Style will also call up the text file and/or midi file.
The Vocal processing is slightly improved, in my opinion, from the SD1, and the Vocalizer (harmonizer) seems to be the same. It works very well, and the harmony is clear. I experienced zero distortion--very pleased after having to "baby" the Yamaha harmonizer.
It had several different modes--two choices of chord modes, and an Effects mode which has a list of gimmick voices such as Micky Mouse, Big Bear, etc. I believe there were about 15 of those, and they work with the touch of a button.
Speaking of buttons, there are a wonderful array of buttons that access the various operating features, PLUS the Multi-tabs can be programmed to do just about anything from style variations, registration up-down, drum part mutes--there is a full page of assignable functions. Haven't even got that far yet.
The arranger section has options to Hold the bass line, style parts or drum parts as you change variations, in effect vastly increasing the variety of styles.
The much-talked about Riff feature is quite fun to play with. I played a style called Organ Hit, that seemed to be made for Ray Charles' "What I Say?" When the fourth variation is flashing, it means a riff is there. I pressed it and then proceeded jam over the top of the riff, which in this case followed the exact chord progression I'd been playing. (All the riffs don't do that.)
You can press Pianist, and play piano, or any other sound over the entire keyboard while the riff is on. Very neat.
Besides the sound, probably the most outstanding feature of the SD5 is the extreme programmability. You can make it do just about anything you desire. There are various functions of initial touch and aftertouch that can affect style parts, and there is a button called Arranger Mute, that mutes certain parts of a style. These parts are selectable.
There is wonderful real-time control of volumes for style parts, right voice, left voice, drums bass, etc.
The only realtime e.q. is a Bass Boost button, that allows you to crank up or reduce the bass as needed. I prefer to crank it up in most cases, and it sounds really great.
The onboard speakers are very powerful and sound very good. I think I recall that they are 22 watts.
As to the sounds, I mentioned the Strat. There are also very good acoustic guitars, Pedal Steel that allows bending of one note, very accurate Fiddle, Harmonica and Chrome voices. I was very pleased and surprised at the Pianos. They really sound great to my ears. Saxs are still good. The organs sound good and respond nicely to the dedicated rotor on/off and speed buttons. You can also open a screen showing drawbars.
There is also a button that allows real-time modification of the lead voice, allowing quick application of overdrive, distortion, wha-wha, and various others. Not that I use Wha-wha, but it can be assigned to the volume pedal if wanted, and it becomes a wha-wha pedal while the assignment is on.
This thing is built like a tank, and is large enough to have 76 keys, but it has only 61. It isn't as heavy as the G70, but much heavier than the PSRs. It seems to be the same size and weight as the SD1.
I was able to find a style for most every song I wanted to do, but I'm looking forward to adding a hard drive so I can access the entire collection of styles from SD1 and other models.
If anyone has any specific questions, I will try to answer, but I am still in the early stage of taming this beast.
I got several comments from audience about how great the sound was last night.
I just plugged it into the Bose L1 and played. There was no e.q. added, or needed!
The SD5 comes sounding great out of the box, and that in itself is a real pleasure.
There is three band e.q. available for the two mic inputs, plus you can fully adjust reverbs and delays.
Probably more than you wanted to know about SD5, right?
DonM

#33463 - 02/13/08 09:21 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Awesome Review DonM!

That was pretty detailed, I must say. I've been very curious about Ketron products for a long time, but do not have the guts to purchase one. Your review certainly answers many of the questions I had.

Thanks

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#33464 - 02/19/08 07:39 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
zuki Offline

'Cmon Al, if I have the guts, you should too I get my SD-5 this week - first ever Ketron for me.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#33465 - 05/17/08 05:58 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hey gang...Is the SD5 the current top of the line Ketron?
Lee

#33466 - 05/17/08 06:30 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Lee,
currently SD1+ is still top of the line even though the sd5 is much newer.

I'm under the impression Audya may be SD1+ replacement??

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33467 - 05/18/08 12:17 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Bachus Offline

AYe rikki

It is the SD1+ replacement...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#33468 - 05/18/08 02:12 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
No one should be afraid to buy Ketron keyboards / modules - they are among the best sounding on the market and have a good operating system (once you get used to a slightly different way of working). I have used an MS 40 for many years and it has been totally reliable and still sounds quite good.

Ketron have 2 main obstacles regarding the SD5 & SD3 module (which is exactly the same keyboard)
1 The lack of dealers (in the UK anyway) - there are only 2 companies supplying them, which means having to buy them without trying or hearing them. Few people are willing to buy on this basis. I like to try it, put my cash on the counter and walk out of the shop with it under my arm.
2 This particular keyboard is very competetively priced in it's basic form (£1300 for the SD3 at BCK) but has no "USB to device" to enable use of a Thumb Drive - nothing but a floppy drive to "save to" / "load from" unless one buys the Hard Drive model which costs £250 more.
£250 for a smallish (in todays terms) Hard Drive is daylight robbery. I want an SD3 myself but am not willing to depend solely on a floppy drive and certainly not willing to pay £250 more for the HD version. If Ketron get their act together, these kb's should sell like hot cakes.
Tony - Sheffield, UK

#33469 - 05/18/08 04:28 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Tony
Bad news for UK Ketron owners I'm afraid.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017562.html

Bill

#33470 - 05/18/08 04:53 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi DonM,
Intended to say in my post, congratulations on your choosing the Ketron Sd5 - glad you're so happy with it. Looks & sounds brilliant on the "You Tube" tutorials. If the SD5 gives you as much satisfaction and long service as my MS40, you will consider it one of your best choices ever.

Thanks Bill (Abacus), for passing on the news, albeit bad about BCK's forthcoming exit from the music scene. I'm so disappointed to hear that - I still believe that with the right pricing and more aggressive marketing of Ketron instruments, especially the SD3, BCK could have had sales galore. It should be easy to market it with the Hard Drive at &1400. After losing Technics, this is a particularly sad day for me. Just hope someone is going to step into the breach.
Best wishes to all,
Tony - Sheffield, UK

#33471 - 05/18/08 11:19 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bill,
that's sad about BCK. Barry was so helpful.
I used to get midifiles posted to Aust. back in the very early 90's. A time when they were actually rare & cost a fortune. haahaa

Strangely enough I came across him on the Ketron Yahoo user group site, & he still remembered me 15 years later. wow.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abacus:
[B]Hi Tony
Bad news for UK Ketron owners I'm afraid.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33472 - 05/18/08 11:25 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Double Post

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 05-18-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#33473 - 05/19/08 03:05 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
DonM Offline

I truly enjoy using the SD5 and can't wait for Audya. To my ears no other arranger has the authentic-sounding drums and bass sound of Ketron.
Also, the solo instruments sound amazingly real.
DonM

#33474 - 05/19/08 08:49 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I enjoy Them too, actually i have few of them
now, not SD5s but i mean few Ketrons at once:
SD5, SD2, SX3000, possibly XD9 and of course AUDYA.
This all came into my hand in one single day
and actually was my first time dealing with
Ketron after programming many years for KORG.
They are very nice but i agree and dissagree
on few things with DonM but hey, i am still new here.

Salute

#33475 - 05/20/08 09:21 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nedim,
Please post your impressions good/bad so far with SD5. Please compare to other kb's also...Especially PA2
Thanks,
Lee

#33476 - 06/30/08 04:26 AM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
MrMelody55 Offline

Loc: Tustin, CA, US
Hi,

I have been a Synthzone member for a long time but hardly post any comment, so naturally I'm still a Junior. I just got a SD5 for about 3 weeks now and here's my take.

Everything is wonderful if this keyboard is your first Ketron. However, I am quite disapointed since I have been an owner of the X1 for many years and really love it. I'm going to only list the cons that I feel about this new toy:

1) I'd rather select the styles by entering numbers between A and B instead of having to access them through the styles buttons. Because once you own the keyboard for so long, the numbers are memorized and can be easily set while performing live.
2) Some of the intros and endings from the SD5 suck comparing to the X1.
3) The SD5 is missing so many nice styles that I really love from the X1.
4) The X1 has the stereo line in so you can plug in another audio source such as another keyboard or CD player... Why take this away?
5) The SD5 also miss some great human voices that you can find in the drums part to insert to a midi song. But when I transfered some songs that I created with the X1, I no longer hear them. Why take things like this away?
6) The "leslie" organ sounds much better on the X1.
7) Some styles are not well mixed and the warm string or organ is extremely loud.
8) Using the "Key Start" button to set the screen to the song list is great. But you keep having to reset it while performing. Why not create another button?
9) Finding a different drum style to change to a midi song is too much trouble when you hit a voice button and the screen changes.
10) The X1 has 3 "fill" buttons. The SD5 has only one so you must have a pedal to access them. Otherwise you'd have to rely on the "Jump" button.
11) I still can't figure out where they hide the basic GM voices yet. During my first performce with this SD5, I could not reach the "Orchestra Hit" sound, because it's not in the string group.
12) When I attempted to load some styles from the X1 to the SD5, it does not let me send to the group of styles that I want. Also the mix is pretty weird when transferred to the SD5.
13) I like some of the Disco styles from the SD5 but the techno styles still suck. When I loaded a midi techno song that I did with the X1, the whole drum part disappears so I had to do the whole thing all over again.

There is much more that I will soon discover. I am sure the SD5 is a great keyboard, and I enjoy some of the new features. But I was hoping it would have been a much better improvement to the X1. Instead I have a feeling like it's a completely different keyboard. I was going to sell the X1 but I think I'm going to keep it because at least for now, I don't think that the SD5 can replace it. The worst thing that Ketron did with this keyboard is the old fashin floppy drive instead of the USB port. Why??? I think the main purpose is to make you pay for the hard drive, otherwise you can easiy plug in an external drive.

Thanks for reading my comments.
MM

#33477 - 07/10/08 02:40 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
DonM Offline

MM, I must agree with you on many of the points you made. There are workarounds you can do, but I found that several operations are more complex than on X1 or SD1.
I am now using Midjay with a keyboard controller. It is SO easy to operate and sounds much the same.
Of course there are drawbacks to it too, but all in all I am extremely happy using the Midjay. This is actually my third time around using it as my primary arranger. I will stay with it unless the Audya blows me away when and if it ever arrives.
I find it necessary for my purposes to use an external vocal harmonizer with the Midjay. I got the new Harmony M unit yesterday and LOVE it so far. There is a post about it on the General Arranger Forum.
DonM

#33478 - 07/11/08 01:59 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
viocaia Offline

Loc: Romania/Norway
Hey Don!
Absolutly agree with Midjay!
I'm playing it for more than 6 months, but since june when I start touring hotels I didn't use it at full power..I mean I been playing with a fellow haveing SD1...so I just play guitars.Now I'm using a Roland piano just for controler and everything from Midjay..styles and tones.Is really working great I get familiar with all reactions and is for sure my next main module for many years!
I see that you bought a vocalist...I was thinking to buy Digitech live..couse I'm playing lots of songs with guitar....maybe if you have time record for us some demos.
BTW I remember we've been talking about the internal vocalist board for Midjay...did you have one?
Vio

#33479 - 04/27/10 09:44 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Cosmik Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I fully agree. The X1 is superior to the SD5 in sound, arrangements and how well balanced the left and right parts blend.

I saw the SD5 on ebay and assumed that it would be an improved, expanded version of the X1. Whatever is better on the SD5 however cannot compensate for the rest.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMelody55:
Hi,

I have been a Synthzone member for a long time but hardly post any comment, so naturally I'm still a Junior. I just got a SD5 for about 3 weeks now and here's my take.

Everything is wonderful if this keyboard is your first Ketron. However, I am quite disapointed since I have been an owner of the X1 for many years and really love it. I'm going to only list the cons that I feel about this new toy:

1) I'd rather select the styles by entering numbers between A and B instead of having to access them through the styles buttons. Because once you own the keyboard for so long, the numbers are memorized and can be easily set while performing live.
2) Some of the intros and endings from the SD5 suck comparing to the X1.
3) The SD5 is missing so many nice styles that I really love from the X1.
4) The X1 has the stereo line in so you can plug in another audio source such as another keyboard or CD player... Why take this away?
5) The SD5 also miss some great human voices that you can find in the drums part to insert to a midi song. But when I transfered some songs that I created with the X1, I no longer hear them. Why take things like this away?
6) The "leslie" organ sounds much better on the X1.
7) Some styles are not well mixed and the warm string or organ is extremely loud.
8) Using the "Key Start" button to set the screen to the song list is great. But you keep having to reset it while performing. Why not create another button?
9) Finding a different drum style to change to a midi song is too much trouble when you hit a voice button and the screen changes.
10) The X1 has 3 "fill" buttons. The SD5 has only one so you must have a pedal to access them. Otherwise you'd have to rely on the "Jump" button.
11) I still can't figure out where they hide the basic GM voices yet. During my first performce with this SD5, I could not reach the "Orchestra Hit" sound, because it's not in the string group.
12) When I attempted to load some styles from the X1 to the SD5, it does not let me send to the group of styles that I want. Also the mix is pretty weird when transferred to the SD5.
13) I like some of the Disco styles from the SD5 but the techno styles still suck. When I loaded a midi techno song that I did with the X1, the whole drum part disappears so I had to do the whole thing all over again.

There is much more that I will soon discover. I am sure the SD5 is a great keyboard, and I enjoy some of the new features. But I was hoping it would have been a much better improvement to the X1. Instead I have a feeling like it's a completely different keyboard. I was going to sell the X1 but I think I'm going to keep it because at least for now, I don't think that the SD5 can replace it. The worst thing that Ketron did with this keyboard is the old fashin floppy drive instead of the USB port. Why??? I think the main purpose is to make you pay for the hard drive, otherwise you can easiy plug in an external drive.

Thanks for reading my comments.
MM

#33480 - 05/01/10 02:57 PM Re: Ketron SD5 - first impressions
Sandi Offline

Hy Guys!
I read your comments and in some things I agree with you.They took a lot of good things away.That's shure.But I play the Ms50 for a 5 years then buy the Sd1 and the sound is away better on Sd1.You can play on stage 1 song with Ms50 and another with Sd1.It's to different.The same thing is with the Sd5 or Audya.When I play on audya and then on Sd1 the Sd1 sounds like a Casio.
So You can tell that the X1 or Ms50 is better than a Sd5.Maybe you don't like it but this is a different story.
For the features you are right.I miss some of them very much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online