SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#334554 - 12/19/11 06:05 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: Pearlss1977]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
David,
What kind of "high end" equipment did you use?
Deane

#334555 - 12/19/11 07:14 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: DonM]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
It's not for me, but for an organist who wants good arranger features and a fairly small footprint it would be good. And not everybody is as poor as we are Tony!
DonM

Don,
Can't imagine anyone taking it out gigging, wood, boats are made out of wood, the Lowrey Holiday and the Conn were made of wood, suppose it's environmentally friendly, so is plastic and metal now. Like you say here's two that won't be buying one, maybe Bill's got his eye on one, ditch the Wersi. Not certain there's a pier near Bill he could play it on to the old folks.

Regards

Tony

See you got your reply from TWD about the Ketron battery, I knew he would reply to you and give you some advice, is a good guy, he's pretty hot on Ketron.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#334556 - 12/19/11 08:07 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: abacus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I lugged around a HUGE Yamaha FS500 organ, leslie, speakers and pa for a long time. The organ DOLLY probably weighed more than my entire setup does now! Before that there was Lowry Holiday and Hammond B3.
I don't miss the good old days at all!
DonM

#334558 - 12/19/11 10:28 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

Sorry, but I just had to laugh at those demos but, giving the benefit of the doubt on this, I assume that Orla did some market research. Amazingly, they've been around for ever, and should know their marketing practices by now.

Unfortunately, this keyboard would also seem to have been around for as long as the company. It looks and sounds like everything a modern keyboard isn't. Definitely in the 'what were they thinking' category. Fail.

#334559 - 12/20/11 12:49 AM Re: And another keyboard [Re: 124]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
If I might be allowed a mature comment wink .....

Is it possible that Orla HAVE done a lot of research and come to the conclusion that the largest market out there for keyboards consists mainly of mature players? Have you ever noticed that videos of demo meetings has an average visitor age of , let's say, seniors? grin
They not only have a little more disposable income but also have a penchant towards the more traditional music and sounds, which come from a single unit and stays where it is from the day it was delivered and forms part of the room decor. smile

Being among the latter, I certainly think that Orla has a winner here.

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (12/20/11 12:53 AM)

#334564 - 12/20/11 08:22 AM Re: And another keyboard [Re: eddiefromrotherham]
Tony Hughes Offline

Go on Eddie give to them!!!

You must have more disposable income than most, or as they say in the UK, a fool and his money are easily separated, $6000, not for one moment would I think you a fool Eddie, BTW you never rang me. Eddie you wouldn’t by any chance have any cork tiles in your house would you. Wooden keyboards, what will they think of next, no don’t tell me I’m much too old like DonM

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#334567 - 12/20/11 01:57 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: Tony Hughes]
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
OK Tony I surrender!
As soon as I have come to understand your ramblings, I'll try to give some sort of assessment of your gist smile (in the meantime you can tell me what juice you are on smile eek

BTW, I rang Orla's UK director this afternoon and gave me a price of £3350.......where dod you get the $6000 from?

BTW, I rang you a couple of times without getting any connection............
cheers
Eddie

Edited by eddiefromrotherham (12/20/11 02:00 PM)
Edit Reason: further info

#334568 - 12/20/11 02:26 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

Here's the thing, though, Eddie. You're quite right with your assessment of Orla's target market, maybe older folks have the disposable moolah ('cept for that pauper Tony obviously :-)), but I'll be at the delicate age of soixante-neuf soon and you wouldn't (er, WOODn't?) catch me within a mile of that keyboard. To those who do like and buy one, all power to them. If it makes you, collectively speaking, happy, then go for it and jam like there's no tomorrow.

And while I'm here a very Happy Christmas and New Year to you all!

#334570 - 12/20/11 04:40 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I lugged around a HUGE Yamaha FS500 organ, leslie, speakers and pa for a long time. The organ DOLLY probably weighed more than my entire setup does now! Before that there was Lowry Holiday and Hammond B3.
I don't miss the good old days at all!
DonM

Folks must have forgot about the good old days......they complain about a 46 pound G70...now!!! smile

#334574 - 12/20/11 07:54 PM Re: And another keyboard [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

Orla has the look of a 31 year old Casio (with more buttons, of course) and it sounds like a 20 year old instrument.

If that's what you're looking for, then it's a keeper, but I think that kind of money would be better spent buying a second hand Roland Atelier...you'd get the wood look, plus a far more contemporary sound (and pedals too), and since the Orla is pretty heavy, I doubt if anyone is interested in a "portable" instrument if they are considering it.

Anything over 40 lbs is just way too heavy for gigging, especially when you add the weight of a decent road case.

Ian

PS...I love the "wood" look on a keyboard, but, I'm afraid it just comes across as cheap looking on the Orla.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online