SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333727 - 11/24/11 07:40 PM Turkey of the Day: President Obama...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHm22hClou26TW9w8KWKlv6vD6d-FyUXDNUnigHEhPO_RTE1PuNg[/img]

President Obama, sometimes his own worst enemy...

Since George Washington, United States Presidents offered remarks of thanksgiving at various points of their tenure in office. President Abraham Lincoln officially began our annual Thanksgiving Day celebration in late November 1863 with a proclamation making it a Federal Holiday.

An excerpt from Lincoln's Proclamation:

"I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union."

Typically, all Presidents since Lincoln have offered up remarks or a proclamation toward Thanksgiving. Usually, they also include a reference to God within those remarks. Here's a snippet from each POTUS since old Abe's...

Ulysses S Grant, 1869:

Therefore I, Ulysses S. Grant, President of the United States, do recommend that Thursday, the 18th day of November next, be observed as a day of thanksgiving and of praise and of prayer to Almighty God, the creator and the ruler of the universe; and I do further recommend to all the people of the United States to assemble on that day in their accustomed places of public worship and to unite in the homage and praise due to the bountiful Father of All Mercies and in fervent prayer for the continuance of the manifold blessings he has vouchsafed to us as a people...

Rutherford B.Hayes, 1877:

Under a sense of these infinite obligations to the Great Ruler of Times and Seasons and Events, let us humbly ascribe it to our own faults and frailties if in any degree that perfect concord and happiness, peace and justice, which such great mercies should diffuse through the hearts and lives of our people do not altogether and always and everywhere prevail. Let us with one spirit and with one voice lift up praise and thanksgiving...

Reasonable Conversation Continue here...

#333728 - 11/24/11 08:40 PM Re: Turkey of the Day: President Obama... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
When I'm wrong, I admit it...

Obama's 2011 Reasonable Conversation Turkey day proclamation

(I actually looked on the WH website and somehow missed it.)

#333977 - 12/01/11 01:40 PM Re: Turkey of the Day: President Obama... [Re: Bill in Dayton]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
It's OK, but if you get your news from FOX, and Rush I understand the mistake.
The YouTube Video did not include God, but the offical proclamation actually did....thanks for clearing that up for the Ditto Heads.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-november-28-2011/much-ado-about-stuffing

Larry

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online