SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333811 - 11/28/11 12:06 AM Cantus Firmus
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
This is an instrumental I composed and recorded back in 1991 with a very talented guitar player Chris Woods. All the backing was done on a Roland MT-32. Chris used a nylon string classical guitar and a Gibson Les Paul. It was recorded at his apartment in Yucca St Hollywood just off Hollywood Blvd so the clip tries to preserve that atmosphere.

#333830 - 11/28/11 11:52 AM Re: Cantus Firmus [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This would have been fun to play on! This mix is a little bottom heavy, but that's easy to do with a nylon string on solos.

GOOD STUFF!

R.

#333853 - 11/28/11 07:01 PM Re: Cantus Firmus [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yep, this mix is from a Tascam Porta Studio tape from so many years ago. Chris was a Hollywood GIT graduate. Such a talented guitar player, he was only 21 years old at the time this song was performed. Unfortunately like some other talented musicians he wasn't psychologically stable and ended up taking his own life when he couldn't get musical recognition. So very sad because he was a very close friend and musical partner. That is why I want to preserve some of his playing forever on Youtube. The Hollywood images simply remind me of the time we both spent playing together in Hollywood at a happier time in his life.

#333892 - 11/29/11 09:36 AM Re: Cantus Firmus [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Remembering friends and collaborators from the past is a GOOD thing...mostly. Like you, some of my best musical memories include a much darker end later.

You have a good heart, Nigel.

Russ

#333972 - 12/01/11 01:11 PM Re: Cantus Firmus [Re: Nigel]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Nigel,
Would make a great backing track for many TV shows, perhaps CSI, or Law and Order or something similar. Nice job, thanks for sharing
Larry

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online