SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333663 - 11/23/11 05:16 AM Harry Connic Jr - Your Song
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Anyone have a transcription, or can help me out with some of the licks he uses on his version of this epic tune?

Watch / Listen here

Regards,

DocZ

#333673 - 11/23/11 12:34 PM Re: Harry Connic Jr - Your Song [Re: doc-z]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi DocZ

Do not have his specific version, but here is the original...Perhaps you can use this.

Ron

Attachments
original notation.pdf (73 downloads)
Key of C ( Am) .pdf (63 downloads)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#333714 - 11/24/11 09:49 AM Re: Harry Connic Jr - Your Song [Re: doc-z]
doc-z Offline

Thanks a bunch! That will help me nicely smile

But I still would like to get that intro lick Harry Connick Jr uses. I just can't figure it out. I know it's based on the pentatonic scale going up from the fifth I believe, but I can't get it to sound like it does on his recording - probably missing a note that is part of a double stop.

DocZ

#333716 - 11/24/11 11:25 AM Re: Harry Connic Jr - Your Song [Re: doc-z]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Doc,

I recommend utilizing a music slow down software utility tool which slows down the music yet preserves the pitch. This useful utility is included in most of the leading audio editors like Sound Forge, Adobe Audition, and Cakewalk Sonar. there are also some availabe for free online.

You can even do this with Windows Media Player, QuickTime, Audacity: How To slow down audio, video, mp3 and music cool

Though I haven't tried these, here are a few of the ones I found online:

BestPractice 1.03.1 Music Converter

Amazing Slow Downer For Windows

on a side note:
back when I was in college in the early 90's, I had the rare opportunity to attend a small keyboard workshop given here at UC Berkeley given by Harry Connick Jr.
Fascinating and enlightening symposium experience especially because his music perhaps inspired me into the direction of jazz music education.
Interestingly enough, it was my college music instructor's brother, Mr Butler of Sony Music, who discovered Harry Connick and signed him on with Sony.

Scott smile

#333719 - 11/24/11 03:11 PM Re: Harry Connic Jr - Your Song [Re: doc-z]
doc-z Offline

Wov Scotty color me jealous smile Herry Connick Jr is one of my favorite musicians, not just of current artists, but artists from all time! Thanks for the tip I'll check those links out. Slowing things down might help a bit.

DocZ

#333720 - 11/24/11 03:16 PM Re: Harry Connic Jr - Your Song [Re: doc-z]
doc-z Offline

Worked like a charm in Windows Media Player! Lick was much easier than I thought... just a repetition of the fifth and the root.

Weird that I didn't hear that before, but it is something about the syncopation combined with the drums that threw me off. But now I hear it correct even at normal speed. The brain is a weird thing, I couldn't hear it before I slowed it down, and now I hear it every time.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by doc-z (11/24/11 03:19 PM)

#333741 - 11/25/11 03:06 PM Re: Harry Connic Jr - Your Song [Re: doc-z]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Man, I would like to get a midi of his version of "Something You Got". I tried several styles, but none can capture the Connic Jr. flavor.
Ciao,
Jerry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online