SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#333511 - 11/17/11 05:04 PM Did I miss something with Roland?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Just went onto the Roland USA site . Thinking about something new, lighter, simpiler, for the NH/ cocktail hour gigs. What happened to the GW8? All they show is the Prelude, E-09, and Bk7m. Did I miss the Gw8 being discontinued ? Sorry if I'm wasting a post for something thats already been discussed but I do check in here pretty often and I'm surprized.

BTW anyone have and experience with the E-09. Looks interesting for the price for a knock around keyboard

An Early Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving to all and lets think about our service people abroad who will miss being home. The VFW and Elks here both host dinners for all the service people stationed at the Cape May NJ Coast Guard Base.

Bill in NJ

Bill in NJ

#333515 - 11/17/11 07:56 PM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill - the E09 is an older keyboard, ala E50, 60, 80 years. It's OK for a beginner, but I think someone like you would be very dissatisfied with it. I had one and got rid of it quickly, luckily at a profit. I'm waiting on the Korg MicroArranger...

#333516 - 11/17/11 09:14 PM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Just went onto the Roland USA site . Thinking about something new, lighter, simpiler, for the NH/ cocktail hour gigs. What happened to the GW8? All they show is the Prelude, E-09, and Bk7m. Did I miss the Gw8 being discontinued ? Sorry if I'm wasting a post for something thats already been discussed but I do check in here pretty often and I'm surprized.

BTW anyone have and experience with the E-09. Looks interesting for the price for a knock around keyboard

An Early Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving to all and lets think about our service people abroad who will miss being home. The VFW and Elks here both host dinners for all the service people stationed at the Cape May NJ Coast Guard Base.

Bill in NJ

Bill in NJ

I would get PSR S710 OR PA 500.

#333524 - 11/18/11 07:40 AM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I searched high and low for a Roland GW 8. When I finally found one it was a HUGE disappointment in every way. If you want a small light weight arranger, I’d look at the Yamaha psr 710, Korg PA 500 or the new Korg Micro Arranger.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#333525 - 11/18/11 08:38 AM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Love my BK7m.
DonM

#333536 - 11/18/11 10:25 AM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
All

Thanks for the quick replies and advice. I'm going away and will be offline for a few days hence the early Thanksgiving message.
I guess I'm back to the BK7M. I'm sure the other suggestions are great boards but I'm getting very lazy and just hate to start over with a whole new set of nomenclature from a different manufacturer.

Wish I could try one out but no stores carry them except George Kaye and thats a bit far for a demo! I may have to take the plunge

BTW--- did the GW8 get the deep six?

Thanks again

Edited by Bill Lewis (11/18/11 10:26 AM)

#333545 - 11/18/11 04:33 PM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
I have the Prelude and so far so good !

Had since July , great action + Organ sounds + Synth sounds , Brass is not so good and Strings are fair , and Piano is fair.

Best thing is the build quality and Organ sounds.

Gary smile

#333547 - 11/19/11 01:54 AM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: jedi]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
listen to this then decide.

Prelude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XM2qzkBE8&feature=related

S710
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8jKi3oicE0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOO4lnukqI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-G9JeKY64

Built quality and look - Roland
Style quality (plus support) and sounds - Yamaha IMHO. Yamaha styles are more musical and guitars make (lower Roland and Korg KBs really old).

Edited by jamman (11/19/11 02:06 AM)

#333558 - 11/19/11 03:15 PM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
No arguments here !! smile

I just wish the "PSR" series had a better keybed and plastic buttons , if they did I would own a PSR-S910 in a heartbeat !

And you are also right about the styles Roland has , very flat and not really very musical.

Still the Prelude is a rather unique and interesting A-KB wink

Later laugh

Gary

#333764 - 11/26/11 09:42 AM Re: Did I miss something with Roland? [Re: Bill Lewis]
guitarbare Offline

Loc: Texas
I Have sold my SD3 and now have a Roland BK7m and a new Ketron Audya5
both have their strong points. Need figure out how to modify the bass lines in the BK7m any thoughts?

Edited by guitarbare (11/26/11 09:50 AM)
Yamaha Stagepass 500 PA, Ketron Audya5 & Roland BK7m with Pk5 Footpedals and a Godin guitar with Midi to a Roland GK module. Also Larger Mackie PA Quality Studio w/ Sonar and Mackie Control Surface. JBL Studio Monitors Neumann, AKG, Blue & Sennhieser Mics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online