SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333338 - 11/13/11 08:21 AM Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Does anyone know how to setup and use the Ketron SD2 Sound Module to work with a Tyros 4?
Exactly what does the SD2 Unit do that is of use for a T4 player?
What are the midi settings needed to make the SD2 Module work with a T4?

Deane

#333341 - 11/13/11 08:58 AM Re: Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4 [Re: hammer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The SD2 will give you a lot of the Ketron sounds, to combine with your Tyros sounds, thus expanding your sound combinations.

Downside:
The SD2 only has a volume control, therefore it relies heavily on a comprehensive Midi controller keyboard to get the best out of it, unfortunately Yamaha arrangers have some of the worst Midi controller functions out there, and so you will only be able to use the voices as is. (If you’re really interested have a look at the SD4, which is effectively 2 x SD2 with controls)

NOTE: You can buy external Midi controllers, (No keyboard attached) so if you added one of these you could then go to town with the combo.

Hope this helps

Bill

#333346 - 11/13/11 12:57 PM Re: Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4 [Re: hammer]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Deane,
I experimented using my SD2 with my psr1500, a few years back.
Thought I'd get a better result with styles converted from ketron to yamaha if I actually had the Ketron Live Drum sounds. In theory, idea sounded great, reality was a different matter. EMC just didn't do a good job of converting the actual style, left out some controllers.
Bascically I had in mind, psr plays user style using SD2 as sound module for style parts, psr voices for melody.

Also discovered the only voices that psr could access for melody, was the main GM bank on the SD2.
PSR doesn't send out the correct Bank Changes to control an sd2. (Mind you it's the sd2 who's bank change setup is a bit odd.) Also with the psr, I couldn't choose to have a mix of sd2 & psr playing different style tracks. ie psr plays bass, guitar piano, sd2 drums & live drums. With psr it was aall or nothing.

Fortunately when I eventually bought my korg PA800, I was able to use the SD2 with it.
The Korg was able to send out correct bank changes, and I was able to have a mix of style parts & access any voice I wanted on the sd2.
With Varranger now, I'm hoping to be able to convert some of my favourite styles across to my korg.

Not sure there'd really be much point in miding your SD2 to the T4. I would imagine the quality of the T4 voices would be superior to SD2 voices ? plus you'd probably only be able to use the main bank on the SD2 using the T4.

Originally Posted By: hammer
Does anyone know how to setup and use the Ketron SD2 Sound Module to work with a Tyros 4?
Exactly what does the SD2 Unit do that is of use for a T4 player?
What are the midi settings needed to make the SD2 Module work with a T4?

Deane

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#333347 - 11/13/11 01:24 PM Re: Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4 [Re: rikkisbears]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Rikki,
Thanks for the input - good to hear from someone who has given it a try. I am using vArranger on Gigs and it is a real kick. Played almost everyday this week - more than this old man really wants.

Deane

#333360 - 11/14/11 01:35 AM Re: Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4 [Re: hammer]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
I am using vArranger on Gigs and it is a real kick. Played almost everyday this week - more than this old man really wants.

Deane[/quote]

Hi Deane

Glad to hear the Varranger is working well. Dont know much about this product,

where can I get a full lowdown and demo on the web?

#333361 - 11/14/11 02:14 AM Re: Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4 [Re: hammer]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I use vArranger also and find it to be the best software arranger I have used.

Dan had to pull his trial software due to piracy conscerns. I am sure he will answer later.

Bernie

#333501 - 11/17/11 10:08 AM Re: Using a Ketron SD2 Unit With A Tyros 4 [Re: hammer]
fozzie Offline

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online