SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333283 - 11/10/11 05:45 AM HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!!
leezone Offline

OK
as many of us are a bit concerned about Audya one day not booting
or how to backup or swap out hard drives

why not this:

If you have an external USB hard drive plugged into the back of Audya when you power it up. The Audya knows it and...
The Audya will totally ignore the built in HD which may be corrupt or broke from so much spinning...
And it will boot from external.. Much like a computer can

Now that would make so much sense wouldn't it ??
Or would the USB 1.1 speeds make this impossible?
Worth a try

Carry around a mirror image external HD and then just plug it in
i would pay $100 for this update-feature

AJ, work that into OS

#333284 - 11/10/11 05:59 AM Re: HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!! [Re: leezone]
Tony Hughes Offline

Leezone,

You are dealing with a Ketron KB not a Toshiba PC running windows, the Ketron doesn't know whats connected to the USB port when it boots, no plug and play with a Ketron. If the HD was mounted externally just under the unit, not lashed on with tape, in a proper housing with the ribbon off the MB into the HD it would take you two mins to change the drive if ot stopped working. It did look at making a kit up once over, but the drive appear to be OK now. It just that the ketron won't run without the HD.

Don't give up the day job Leezone, where the hell does the Genious bit come from not my side of the family....LOL.

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#333290 - 11/10/11 08:26 AM Re: HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!! [Re: leezone]
Snoopy Offline

Loc: Northern Germany
Originally Posted By: leezone
...Or would the USB 1.1 speeds make this impossible?...

Yepp,

USB 1.1 maximum speed is 12 MBit/s = 1,5 Megabyte per second.

For streaming ( like all the audio drums and audio guitars do ) this is much to slow ...

#333291 - 11/10/11 08:50 AM Re: HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!! [Re: Snoopy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi,

USB1 no longer exists in the Real World, its about 7 years old, in PC terms about the time of stone age man.

Leezone don't even think about it.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#333292 - 11/10/11 09:16 AM Re: HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!! [Re: leezone]
leezone Offline

"the Ketron doesn't know whats connected to the USB port when it boots"

no not now, but maybe with an OS modification....

or maybe build a new bottom for the A4 and A5, yes the entire bottom sheet metal
with a door w/screw positioned to easily access the HD

i'd pay $100 for that too

#333293 - 11/10/11 09:34 AM Re: HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!! [Re: leezone]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: leezone
"the Ketron doesn't know whats connected to the USB port when it boots"

no not now, but maybe with an OS modification....

or maybe build a new bottom for the A4 and A5, yes the entire bottom sheet metal
with a door w/screw positioned to easily access the HD

i'd pay $100 for that too

Leezone, not now and not never, there's only you wants a external drive, in the Western World, there are no OS modifications, Ketron never did work for NASA.

#333309 - 11/11/11 10:52 AM Re: HD Backup Solution for Audyas...GENIOUS !!! [Re: Tony Hughes]
Tony Hughes Offline

Leezone,

Did you mean like the Tyros just turn the KB over and there is the drive.

Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online