SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#333151 - 11/04/11 06:27 AM A bass player from another planet
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA

#333154 - 11/04/11 06:50 AM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
You're not suppose to be able to do that with a bass... amazing stuff

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#333158 - 11/04/11 07:56 AM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: lahawk]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hells Bells, bends them like Beckham, you are right Larry, can't even do that on the Audya!!!

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#333160 - 11/04/11 08:19 AM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: Tony Hughes]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, Victor is a great young man. I run into him at the Summer NAMM demoing most years. He draws one of the biggest crowds of the show, just standing in the aisle, slapping his ass off!

His whole family...all his brothers, at least, are monsters. One, "Futureman", who is a little "out there" is the percussionist for Bella Fleck.

When he comes to Lexington, he sits on the end of the stage after his performance and talks bass with anyone who wants to, and always stays until the last one is gone.

On of my fondest memories is the last time I saw my mentor, Ray Brown. He, Victor and another monster, a legit guy named Edgar Meyer did a three bass show in Louisville. They hadn't met before the show.

Victor was gracious and respectful of both older players. He and Edgar did a silly little thing of almost zero musical significance (hell of a show, though), where one would start a walking bass line and the other would "steal" the bass and try to show him up. Little Victor could walk under the armpit of "giant" Edgar. They ended up on the floor, "hopelessly" intertwined. Kinda dumb, but it brought the house down.

This is an old clip. You should hear Victor now. His latest trick is to detune his bass while playing, converting it to a percussion instrument. Then, he re-tunes it to pitch without missing a beat.

Good find. Great guy, getting well-deserved recognition.

Russ

#333173 - 11/04/11 12:21 PM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
WOW!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#333178 - 11/04/11 04:12 PM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... what Gary said ..... and then some !!! clap clap clap

#333181 - 11/04/11 04:44 PM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think everyone knows, Victor has been playing bass for the Flecktones for years. Bella Fleck is the one guy who claims to be a 5 string jazz banjo player.

Not for me at all, but love his efforts and crazy about Victor.

Victor has lived in Nashville for many years.

We work some of the same shows.

R.

#333199 - 11/06/11 08:20 AM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Victor Wooten should be a household name. Probably not to many folks know of him outside of the hard core musicians. Thanks Bill for posting that.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#333203 - 11/06/11 10:06 AM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have seen Victor quite a few times over the years at Winter NAMM in LA. He is always a treat to watch and listen to. A totally awesome bass player and a very nice guy as well.

#333205 - 11/06/11 10:53 AM Re: A bass player from another planet [Re: Nigel]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Victor is in a class by himself -- he has my vote.
But I can’t help thinking what he could do with guitar, Jazz or Classical. What he is doing is not coming from his head, some learned thing; it’s coming from the center of him, his heart.

I enjoy watching a special talent; and then placing him where I feel he would fly.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online