SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#333045 - 10/31/11 06:01 PM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: Audrey Turner]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi Aud,

Tried changing the split points to no avail. Sometimes holding the key down it repeats a couple of times. Gees, I hate this! I am going to try and continue doing work in the sequencer and eventually contact the technician. It is most frustrating trying to play live with that note sounding so loud.

#333046 - 10/31/11 06:10 PM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Kitkat, using the sequencer is not quite the same as actually hitting the key. In fact, you can edit the sequencer file to change the velocity setting of any note of the sequence. The sequencer playback is not influenced at all by the key mechanism. For example, if you recorded a sequence with the bad key which sounds too loud, you could then edit the sequencer file to change the velocity setting of that note wherever it is used, and make it sound at whatever volume you want.

If you must play live gigs with the bad key, I would keep the Overall Touch Sensitivity at zero and put up with the loss of touch sensitivity until I could get the keyboard repaired.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (10/31/11 06:20 PM)

#333048 - 10/31/11 06:45 PM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
Bob Hendershot Offline

By the way, this problem is not at all uncommon with Technics keyboards. It came up the first time for me about twelve or thirteen years ago with a question for my old KN5000 “How To” web site. See the last item on this web page http://home.online.no/~j-gotaa/bobs/letters.htm .

#333049 - 10/31/11 06:46 PM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Deleting duplicate post.

Can't get the link to work in the above post The link works if it is copied and pasted to the browser. Don't know why it doesn't work in the post itself.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (10/31/11 06:56 PM)

#333051 - 10/31/11 07:23 PM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bob - You're always most helpful. For the time being, I am going to just use it doing sequenced songs. Not playing much at this time live. I am wondering if it is just perhaps dust or that spider that made a nest on the mother board. I am not brave enough to open the keyboard by taking off the cover and giving it a good cleaning with the vacuum cleaner.

#333056 - 11/01/11 03:02 AM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: Audrey Turner]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Kikat,

Playing a sequence and playing the “C” note manually are not the same. The sequence works internally it does not use the key mechanism. Playing the “C” note manually does use the key mechanism.

John C.

#333062 - 11/01/11 09:39 AM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Bob Hendershot
Deleting duplicate post.

Can't get the link to work in the above post The link works if it is copied and pasted to the browser. Don't know why it doesn't work in the post itself.

I have fixed that for you Bob. Yes, normally just pasting in a link makes it work automatically, but if there are any non standard characters in it ( I'm guessing like the ~ ) then it requires the "url" tags around it. The 2nd button "Link To A Web Page" above the reply box will do that for you ( though if you have "popups" turned off you may have to agree to temporarily allow them then click the button a 2nd time ) . Though once you know what the tags are it is easy enough to type them in yourself. They are just the words url and /url in square brackets at the start and end of the url.

#333063 - 11/01/11 10:04 AM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thank you, Nigel

#333131 - 11/03/11 11:30 AM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Bob,

Hope you see my question. Since this is going to have a technician fix the key problem, do you know how much is involved to fix this? I hope it doesn't require replacing a new sounding board or anything like that. Hopefully, it will be just doing whatever adjustment needed for the one key. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Mark

#333138 - 11/03/11 03:52 PM Re: I HAVE A PROBLEM!!! [Re: kitkat]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Mark, I have never personally done the actual repair. My work in the past was to design similar equipment. But, I just looked at the service manual. My guess (AND IT IS ONLY A GUESS) is that the switch assembly will need to be replaced. I don’t think that Technics provided individual switches for replacements. There is a switch assembly that contains switches for a complete octave. The part number is QMWG6009BAK OR QMWG6010BK. Not sure which one it is. One is for 13 keys and the other is for 12 keys. I would guess that the entire assembly for one octave will need to be replaced. But, I cannot over-emphasize that it is only a guess. If a circuit board assembly were the cause, I would expect that the symptom would involve more than one key.

Since this problem is not uncommon, it is possible that your technician has already done a similar repair. He would be your best source of info.

Edited by Bob Hendershot (11/03/11 04:15 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online