SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#332972 - 10/29/11 06:07 AM Output Jack Problem
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The Mono out jack on my Technics has been feeling loose for some time. That is, it has little resistance when plugged in. When on a gig yesterday, I noticed a lack of signal, momentarily. I plugged it back in and it was fine.

I am not sure if it is a mechanical problem or needs cleaning with CRC or something. It would be easy enough to spray cleaner in there but I wouldn't be sure until it happens again.

What would be your best guess ?

Bernie

#332974 - 10/29/11 07:17 AM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Hi Bernie.

Perhaps the lock ring in the out jack is worn Ie.little resistence
when plugging in and out.

Bad or parcially broken internal connection on the output.

Does it still feel lose with another plug?

Could try a small drop of electrical contact fluid on the input jack.

Pretty sure Gary D would have some Ideals.

Gilbert.

Edited by gilbert (10/29/11 07:17 AM)

#332975 - 10/29/11 07:40 AM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Gilbert
I am using new Hosa TRS plugs. Eventhough there is no benefit on this older keyboard, the tip and ring are the same. I tried different plugs and jacks. There is some resistance on my mono jack but maybe a little less than the others. I am guessing you are right about contact cleaner. I will try that first.

Thanks
Bernie

#332976 - 10/29/11 08:04 AM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Try a drop of contact cleaner first, but I doubt that this would provide a long-term fix. The more likely scenario is the leaf-arm contact has finally worn out and no longer has sufficient spring action left to anchor the plug tip in place. This is caused by fatigue of the metal leaf-arm which essentially acts as a spring-loaded connection to the tip of the plug.

They're fairly easy to replace once the keyboard is opened. And, the older ones were held in place with a hex-nut, while the electrical connections are just a couple of wires soldered to tiny lugs. Unfortunately, some of the plugs are buried deep beneath printed circuit boards, which have to be removed first in order to replace the jacks.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#332977 - 10/29/11 08:16 AM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Gary
I figured you would pop in with the correct fix. Since I am 70 and don't use the KN7000 everyday, I sprayed it with CRC, and hope it will suffice for the time being.

Obviously, I am trying to escape the inevitable.

Thanks
Bernie

#332978 - 10/29/11 08:44 AM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie,

Right about now I wish I were in Port Charlotte so I could get warm and fix your keyboard. I hate winter, and it seems to be coming earlier each year I get older. I have to do out and do a job in the next hour and outside my window the snow is falling. With luck, I'll be sailing to your neighborhood this time next year.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#332980 - 10/29/11 10:56 AM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Hey Buddy
You are always welcome to lay over here anytime you get close.

#332983 - 10/29/11 12:18 PM Re: Output Jack Problem [Re: Bernie9]
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Quote:
The more likely scenario is the leaf-arm contact has finally worn out and no longer has sufficient spring action left to anchor the plug tip in place.

Thanks Gary,thats what i meant, but did not know the proper name.

Gilbert.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online