SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3324 - 01/08/07 10:50 PM Re: MIDI And PC's ...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:
Guys,

Wow, I was way off! Man, forgive me for being obtuse, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the sound could be the same? I was initially thinking the laptop's soundcard picks up the signal, and reproduces the sound based on the how the soundcard interprets each instrument? Unless, Sonar is actually doing all the work and the soundcard is just playing what Sonar is doing - that must be it.

Okay, but Nigel talked about using the microphone jack, but isn't the microphone jack actually an output and not an input? I guess I'll just get the necessary cables and find out for myself.

Thanks again.

No not the mic input, the stereo line in input. That is why you'll need to get a cable or adapter with a stereo 1/8 jack at one end with jacks that plug into your keyboard outputs at the other.

#3325 - 01/09/07 05:52 AM Re: MIDI And PC's ...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:
Guys,

Wow, I was way off! Man, forgive me for being obtuse, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the sound could be the same? I was initially thinking the laptop's soundcard picks up the signal, and reproduces the sound based on the how the soundcard interprets each instrument? Unless, Sonar is actually doing all the work and the soundcard is just playing what Sonar is doing - that must be it.

Okay, but Nigel talked about using the microphone jack, but isn't the microphone jack actually an output and not an input? I guess I'll just get the necessary cables and find out for myself.

Thanks again.

Well not quite. Audio recording is just that. Like a tape recorder but digital. LIke a higher quality tape recorder. What you record is what you get.

When recording audio Sonar will act as a tape recorder and simply record the sound that you plug into the input of the audio cardd. What you plug in is what you will record. THe only interpretation that's happenning during this process is called A/D conversion (analog to digital signal) and it is nothing more but interpretation of an audio signal into lots of 1s and 0s. The higher the bit and sample rates are the more 1s and 0s the signal is being converted to. If you are recording a stereo track as a result you get 2 tracks. Left and Right. Or an interleaved audio file that is L+R linked together.

I think it's too early for anything like a higher end Audio card since you first need to get your head around the basics.

Also, there's MIDI recording. Look that up. google it. It is another way to record and perhaps that is what you should really mangle with first. Sonar can speak this digital language to your Motif and make it play multiple parts at the same time if you like. Provided you record the MIDI tracks first. THen you can edit and move each and every individual note that you've recorded, do some basic mixing and even be able to change instruments for different parts while the track is playing. Look up MIDI. Right now.

You're not going to get very far asking one question at a time in forums. You have to do some homework.

-ED-

BTW the microphone jack on your laptop is an Audio input because it allows you to input the audio signal into software like Sonar. Anything that inputs the signal is refered to as an input. Where it outputs to after the recording or where it outputs to internally is different. It is an input to begin with.

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-09-2007).]

#3326 - 01/09/07 06:08 AM Re: MIDI And PC's ...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
No not the mic input, the stereo line in input. That is why you'll need to get a cable or adapter with a stereo 1/8 jack at one end with jacks that plug into your keyboard outputs at the other.

Depends on the manufacturer and how they choose to label audio inputs. On some laptop computers there is no input labeled as a stereo line-in. It's labeled as a mic input but in essence it is a line-in that can act as a mic input too. Pretty silly stuff since if something is a line-in it should be labeled so.

-ED-

#3327 - 01/11/07 09:42 PM Re: MIDI And PC's ...
hauschild Offline

Loc: lisle,il,usa
Thanks, guys.

I picked up the cable today and will mess around with it this weekend and see what I can learn.

Interesting stuff, it is!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online