SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#331872 - 09/24/11 08:43 AM When do we know..we have too much?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am starting to realize...I have too many sound systems...but I may need them someday..so I must keep them...or do I?. confused

As of this morning....

4 Roland Keyboard Cubes (the good ones from 1985)..

Roland BA330

4 Podium 802's

2 Podium 1204's

2 Yorkville NX520p's

Yorkville subwoofer

Yorkville 300k (My brand new old stock purchase)..

Sano stereo amp (1964)

That is sixteen powered units.. grin

I think I could cover an outdoor stadium.. smile

#331874 - 09/24/11 08:59 AM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have a pair of 20 year old Yamaha MS-60S powered speakers that do double duty, both as my home system, and for my primary type of gig, restaurant music. They work as good today as when they were bought, and sound terrific.

For those rare gigs where I need oodles of power, I usually rent a system and add the cost to my fee.

Generally, if I don't use any musical equipment for six months, it usually gets sold, and the money either saved, or re-invested. This plan excludes my Jupiter 8.

Of course, we all work things differently, and have diametric priorities...that's what makes SZ so interesting.

Ian

#331877 - 09/24/11 12:22 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For me, it's very easy to decide when to get rid of a piece of gear. If I haven't used it for more than a year I probably don't need it. (Good thing this rule doesn't apply to body parts.) wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#331880 - 09/24/11 01:25 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Well....since I have decided to give up my permanent position in the band.."Just in Time"...this coming week..the following sound systems will remain with the band...

2 Podium 802's

2 Podium 1204's

2 Yorkville NX520p's

Yorkville subwoofer...

Now that will leave me with only 9 powered units...not counting the PC speaker junk... smile

I can't part with my long time original Roland Cubes...too many great memories and they still work as new......speaking of new, I purchased 2 Roland Cubes in new condition (mint)..a few years ago..had covers made and haven't used them yet....They will be as new when I am pushing up daisies.. grin

#331881 - 09/24/11 01:36 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: travlin'easy]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Fran, I think we get emotionally involved with our gear

whether it be backline or instruments. I liken it to my

warerobe it's generally jammed with lots of clothes. Strictly

speaking I should get rid of some to make space but I find it

very difficult. I look through them with the intention of

clearing out a lot of them and I realise I love everyone of

them, common sense does not come into the equation at all.

It's all about love.

#331883 - 09/24/11 01:52 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Mockie]
Fran Carango Offline

Oh no.......not the "leisure suit".. grin

#331884 - 09/24/11 02:38 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Frank, you're preaching to the headmaster/collector" of the "too much damn equipment" choir.

Didn't know you were not going to be with the band. That had to be a big decision.

Be well,

Russ

#331897 - 09/24/11 11:30 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Frank, you're preaching to the headmaster/collector" of the "too much damn equipment" choir.

Didn't know you were not going to be with the band. That had to be a big decision.

Be well,

Russ

Russ, driving 200 plus miles 3-5 times a week (to the Jersey shore)...is taking it's toll on me....

#331912 - 09/25/11 07:03 AM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fran

Sorry to hear about you leaving the band. I don't think I could of done that kind of traveling either.
Speaking of too much, heres a good way to thin things out---MOVE!! HA!
As I written before I'm moving to a much smaller place so lots of "stuff" had to go. So far I've sold two pianos, big speakers and subwoofer, all my albums, extra Hammond parts, etc.
Still got the B3 in a piano showroom. Looking to sell my motorcycle (Tears) and will be cashing in my coin collection--hopefully silver prices will hold.
Got a nice set of Peavey Impulse 100's to sell/trade of and maybe a G1000 or two and a Hammond XK3

But having said that will you be selling the 802's and perhaps a small mixer ??????

Its a disease, we all have it to some extent.

Bill in NJ

#331921 - 09/25/11 11:37 AM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Hi Bill,

You're right, it is a disease and it's commonly

known as G.A.S. or (GEAR ACQUITION SYNDROME)

But what a way to die !

#331931 - 09/25/11 05:29 PM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Be well,
Russ

Yes, I would think that regardless of the reason, it had to be a traumatic decision for ALL involved ...
I am sure you are all going to miss each other ...

#332034 - 09/29/11 01:20 AM Re: When do we know..we have too much? [Re: travlin'easy]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
For me, it's very easy to decide when to get rid of a piece of gear. If I haven't used it for more than a year I probably don't need it. (Good thing this rule doesn't apply to body parts.) wink

Gary cool

Yep, I agree. If you don't have time to enjoy it ( apart from just looking at it) and play/use it on a regular basis, then maybe it's time to declutter. Then the money can go towards something you will play around with ( musically speaking that is ) smile.

taz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online