SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#331116 - 09/01/11 07:58 AM Re: Who do you play for...yourself or the audience? [Re: montunoman]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
My goal is to satisfy the bulk of the audience. Problem is, at dances there are always a few who make the same requests and want them NOW. It kinda stifles diversity...but its just something to contend with and a programming challenge.

In the course of most evenings I will slip in something I really like to play which I doubt most are familiar with. Sometimes it even works and I get requests for it later. Other times it bombs and I make a mental note to deep six it.

NHs are a different story. I stick with what is familiar to them.

Eddie

#331119 - 09/01/11 09:41 AM Re: Who do you play for...yourself or the audience? [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like most of the tunes I play, and with the ones that are played a lot and/or start to get tiring to play, I try to find something in the music that I can add without affecting it's overall authenticity too much, yet give me a bit of inner satisfaction.

There are tunes I generally "have to" play...Last Date (Floyd Cramer), A Whiter Shade of Pale, Music Box Dancer (Frank Mills) to name a few...fortunately I like these tunes a lot...for a change I may play Whiter Shade using an orchestral string arrangement as the tune borders on the classical...for Music Box Dancer, I use acoustic guitar instead of piano. For Last Date I sub in a pedal steel for piano.

Playing all instrumentals does not give me the advantage of different lyrics for each verse/chorus, so I have to work a little harder on the arrangements to make them more interesting, for both me and the listener.

Thankfully, I find it a lot of fun.

Ian

#331137 - 09/01/11 04:26 PM Re: Who do you play for...yourself or the audience? [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

Right you are, Ian. The day it stops being fun, that's the day to hang it all up. Glad to say I'm not even close to that.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online