SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#330788 - 08/23/11 05:29 PM Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy"
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Has any Yamaha T4 owner had this problem.

While playing some MP3 I received the message on the screen Hard Drive Busy Error - The audio player shut down and nothing on my hard drive.

Re starting the keyboard everything was back to normal but
concerned this could happen playing out.

Checking some Yamaha sites, evidently this has happened on the
T3 and now for many on the T4. Also it appears Yamaha is aware of this but no answers.

Any one have additional info on ths. The hard drive is set to normal with no time out.

Walt Tenay

#330801 - 08/24/11 03:57 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: Walt Tenay]
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
@ Tony, just for a note...
I tough that the Hard Disk problems happen only on LIONSTRACS products....
I read also some HD issue on Ketron Audya, Oasys, Kronos...
Do you agree that maybe this HD issue are related from the HD manufacture and not from the keyboards manucature?

#330802 - 08/24/11 04:42 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: Walt Tenay]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Walt,

Believe it or not this could have been caused by a Corrupt MP3. Where did you get this MP3? Did you create it from scratch? Sometimes they can become corrupt and cause the read logic of the HD to error out on too many reads, the O/S of the Tyros4 doesn't know how to recover and thus really just shuts down until you reset the process. I would look carefully at all your Mp3's and check the integrity of them first.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#330804 - 08/24/11 05:15 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: Walt Tenay]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I've gotten that or some kind of similar error while recording a few times. I record the entire set though which usually varies between 45 minutes or the record max of 1 hour and 20 minutes. I, of course, would like that to not happen. Any fixes for this Yamaha?

#330805 - 08/24/11 05:43 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: kbrkr]
Walt Tenay Offline

You would think that, but after I restarted the keyboard,
I played the same MP3 a few times and it worked without any problems. The source of the MP3 is super quality and I have
played many wav/mp3 files in this unit without any probelms.

I suspect this is a hard drive problem. In any event I emailed tech support at Yamaha to see what they suggest. There answer most likely will be to reformat since it can not defrag itself only by formatting. Not to happy about this.

Once I get an answer I will post it here.

Walt

#330813 - 08/24/11 08:22 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: LIONSTRACS]
Tony Hughes Offline

Yes Dom,

Got the message the only thing is I think T4 will work without the HD or at least you will get a tune out of it, any KB that relies soley on a HD then you have problems, like the MS and Audya. But point taken Dom.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#330830 - 08/24/11 04:09 PM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: Tony Hughes]
Walt Tenay Offline

A Follow up to my Hard drive Error. I contact Customer Support and left a message. They responded quickly:

Hi TENAY,

Regarding your TYROS4,
The issue might be that your hard drive is fragmented, or getting full. Reformatting it would most likely take care of the problem. However you would need to back up the files you need and restore them after formatting it. This way all the data can be dumped back over, unfragmented. The other issue of the drive getting full, is something that is goin to have to be managed. Once you exceed 50% of capacity, you may start having issues on playback as the drive is working harder to access your data and play back seemlessly. Loading and saving is different than playing back digital audio. You will need to manage your files often. Backing stuff up and try to stay under 50% capacity if you are going to be using this as an AUDIO playback device for gigs. To check the available space on the drive, press FUNCTION>>UTILITY>> TAB to the MEDIA page and select drive and 'properties'.

Best regards,
Yamaha PAC Support
www.yamaha.com/pacsupport
P.S. Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions at: faq.yamaha.com
P.S.S. Please do not remove the " [ref: " in the Email Subject when replying to this email.

Some Additional info, my hard drive is about 10% filled far from the 50% that they are talking about. I did call them and received a call back within an hour. We are assuming this was just a one time incident. However they did recommend reformating if you do many entries, deletion of any type of file alternations at least every 2-3 month depdending on your activities.

Hope this will help others.

Walt

#330840 - 08/25/11 05:34 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: Walt Tenay]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Walt,

Oh brother, that is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Hard drives do not develop issues when you exceed 50% of capacity. Read/Writes are random access. the drive doesn't know when it's full or not. The Hash tables that contain the directory information can contain much more information then they are usually allocated. Sounds like you may have bad sectors on the drive. Reformatting the drive will discover those sectors and ensure they are not used any further. Hard disks keep a hash table of bad sectors. Defragmenting will not find bad sectors, it will only rearrange chunks of data to be more sequential to enable access to be faster; not more reliable.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#330842 - 08/25/11 06:33 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: kbrkr]
Tony Hughes Offline

Al,

If you are right we presume it is only one file that is causing the problem, is it just one file, if it is its simple, throw it away, not the KB the file!!! The 50% full bit has got me beat also Al, don't understand that at all.

Regards

Tony

I don't use MP files
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#331808 - 09/22/11 10:12 AM Re: Hard Drive Error on Tyros 4 "Busy" [Re: Walt Tenay]
Jackieh Offline

Hi all I have reported this problem to Yamaha 4-5 months ago-went thru 3 new internal Hard Drives and another brand new T4 keyboard all to no avail-dealt directly with Steve Demming at Yamaha USA.

This problem has nothing to do with fragmentation or over 50% full Hard Drive--it has been experienced by T4 owners all over the World both on playback of MP3's and recording using the Audio/Recorder/Player.

I encourage all experiencing this problem and believe me if you record much using this function or play MP3's you will see this issue at some point-to Please Contact Yamaha directly and do not I repeat do not accept the answer to Defragment or Reformat as this will not correct this problem.

I now feel that Yamaha is totally dragging their feet on this problem!!!!

Great Day

Jack Hanoka

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online