Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#330730 - 08/22/11 10:49 AM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: rikkisbears]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Guys,
came up with better solution.

Once you get hang of it, only takes a few minutes.
1.Choose style. Press Copy. Choose USB Stick. Press Save.
2.Record chord progression in sequencer & save to usb stick.
3.In PC use Rename function to change .sty or .prs etc etxension to .mid ( ie beguine.prs to beguine.mid) This turns it into midifile.

Depending on how your pc sequencer functions you basically have to merge these 2 files ( beguine .mid & chord progression .mid) into a single midi file.
I use the old XG Works program, since it doesn't have a merge function, this is the way I do it.

Load chord progression sequence in sequencer, DELETE TRACK 1. Select all the tracks & use Copy function.

Next load in Bequine midifile, don't do any saves etc , the chord progression will be overwritten by the midifile tracks, but don't worry.

Next delete all the tracks except for track 1 . midi channel 1.

Use the Paste Function & your chord progression track will reapear.

Next bring up your Markers track ( Master Track in XG Works)

Delete any Markers & Data below Marker 1 ( Main A : fn main A ) in psr1500 styles)

Press "SAVE" not save as.

Hilight Beguine .mid & press UNDO function ( found under ORGANIZE in Win7)
It turns back into beguine.prs

Load Style in yammie.
Goto PARAMETER
Change Bass Ntt to Bypass
Do same for rest of instruments ( except drums) Save

Choose the original style.

Press Digital Record.
Style Creator
BASIC. Choose main a
Change Pattern Length to suit Chord Progression Variation. Press Execute.
TAB to Assembly.
Choose Section
Double Click Rythm 1
Choose Style to copy from ( USB :Beguine:Main A Rythm 1
Do Same for all the rest of the instruments.
Save.

Good Luck
Hi Rikki,
a great big THANKS rocker for posting your step by step procedure for creating a 'Chord Sequence imbedded Style Variation'.
I'm really excited to try this out.
I now just got to see if I can track down my copy of Yamaha XG Works and install it on my current PC.
btw: what version of XG Works are you running?

Scott smile

#330744 - 08/22/11 07:10 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: lahawk]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Hi,
no wholly & soley for yamaha. The only part I use for korg is change .sty extension to .mid extension. This works for majority of my yammie styles.
I have hassles with 3/4 time signatures & "serialized styles" These I load into One Man Band & resave.
I do convert my yammie styles to Korg using XG Works , but it involves a lot more than the above instructions. I think I'd have to write a book ( haa haa) because earlier yammie styles are far easier to convert than new ones.

Actually, I have XG Works running on my Win7 laptop.
You're correct, it won't load. Found a way around it . Definately trial & error, because I don't know a great deal about the workings of computers but I was determined to get it up & running.

I actually have a working copy of XGworks in my old XP Netbook.
I simply copied the "Yamaha" program folder from the netbook "program files", into my win 7 laptop "program files(86)"folder.
Opened the Yamaha folder, opened xg works folder, located the XG Works exe icon, Right Clicked & sent it to the Desktop, so I could run the program from there.
Apparently it doesn't need to be installed, maybe because it's such an old program. My version is 3.07.33
Works almost perfectly. Good enoughfor what I need it for. I can do 99% of my editing. Only thing I can't bring up is Notation Window. I get weird symbols. I can live without thatas I have notation on Real Band & Power Tracks Pro.
Only reason I still use XG Works is, it's so simple for cutting sections & moving bars & copying bars etc. & the Master Track contains all the markers & tempo changes etc.
Don't use it for recording just editing.

You could use probably any pc sequencer as long as it has "Markers" I just find XGworks the easiest. If you have any problems doing what I did, just email me.
Originally Posted By: lahawk
Wow Rikki, thanks for this awesome info. It must have been a lot of trial and error, and we appreciate your hard work.

Is this for the Korg or Yamaha, or both?

The only problem is the old XG Works program which (a) is no longer available and (b) is not compatible with WIN7. Is anyone aware of another program that can achieve what Rikki just described?

Rikki should charge for all these valuable tips and instructions.

Good Stuff

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#330747 - 08/22/11 07:41 PM Re: Purple Rain Pa3x [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi (yammie)guys,
one more thing, you MAY be able to edit pads in a pc sequencer using the renaming function ie
bell.pad change to bell.mid
All 4 pads show up in the sequencer , 1 per midi track.
Basically change extension from .pad to.mid
Load in, do a quick edit, press "save".
Then "Undo" the rename which changes it back to .pad.

Haven't tried it recently, but I did do it for my psr 1500, years ago. Maybe internal pad editing has improved since then, so may not be of benefit. ?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online